Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Slow On Demand/Catchup

This is a discussion on Slow On Demand/Catchup within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; For the past few weeks I have been having intermittant but at the same time very regular slow downloads on ...

paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Slow On Demand/Catchup

For the past few weeks I have been having intermittant but at the same time very regular slow downloads on the on demand service. I have a 45 megabit line. Up until a few weeks ago films or tv shows were available to watch very quickly. For example an SD tv show was available to watch within a few seconds and at the other end of the scale and HD film was available to watch in less than 30 seconds.

Now an HD film can take hours to become available. Sometimes the slowness works a little differently and the programme is available to watch quite quickly but then the download slows to a crawl and you can't continue to watch the show/film as the I have caught up with the download. I could understand all of this if my connection was extremely slow but it clearly is not.

There was a thread on the official Sky forum about this which had hundreds of replies but Sky closed it down and have banned anyone from starting a new thread however some people have done so anyway.

This all points to the capacity on sky servers however it only seems to affect downloads on the Sky boxes and not Sky Go on iPads for example.

I could totally understand a capacity problem that has crept up on Sky however what is indefensible is the fact that they are denying there is any issue and even more dispicable is that they are trying to keep people quiet about it. I hope that they do realise there is an issue and are quietly fixing the problem.

If anyone else is experiencing these issues please speak up so scubbie could investigate with her contacts at Sky.

​BT Infinity 2 51369/14357
      Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/10000
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/1999
      Sky Broadband Unlimited 10487/1049

2. Advertisement
      Rhythmwiz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Slow On Demand/Catchup

I too have this issue very regularly (suggested fixes for the issue I've seen on the official Sky support forum, e.g. rebuild, power cycle, software update, either make no difference or only work for a very short while). It's particularly bad today - I started a download of Strictly Come Dancing in HD (4.66GB) through my Sky+ HD at about 4.30 this afternoon - it is currently six and a half hours later and the download is only at 66% and is still unavailable for viewing.

In case the information is useful, the box last had a planner rebuild and power cycle last night. My max download speed is usually 162Mbps, and the box is connected wirelessly via the Sky connector, but is in the same room as the router and no more than 4m away.

(Posted a speed test result below, taken as I wrote this post and waited for the Sky on-demand download. It definitely isn't my connection.)

paulkerdot likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Are there any others who have had issues with the download speed for any of the On Demand content via your Sky STB?

Whilst I personally haven't had any major issues I am awre tha many people have. It would be nice to see if there is a pattern.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Im very surprised that this thread hasn't had much input as there has been a lot of chatter about this issue over on the official sky forum.

My issue resolved itself about a week ago. It think my service was severely compromised for about a month. I notice that the threads and general chatter have dissipated on the sky forum as well. Im still annoyed that sky never admitted any issue and have just silently fixed whatever was wrong. Anyway, the main thing is it seems fixed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

At least you've had some improvement. I guess that others here just don't care or haven't had the same issue.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dave richardson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Plymouth
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
      Just tried speed test

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dave richardson View Post
      Hi

Its not the broadband speed I was complaining about. It was the speed that on demand was downloading tv or film at.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I could be wrong but most of the complaints about slow download speed on the Demand service seem to be from those on fibre. I am wondering if Sky have some sort of load balancing protocol in use which stops very high speed users sucking the life out of the service and leaving little for others on ADSL. Its possible they did not have it calibrated correctly and penalised the high speed users. I seem to remember Xbox had a similar problem when they tried to balance speeds so as not to give high speed users an advantage. They ended up putting the fast connections at a disadvantage.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Rhythmwiz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

My speeds have improved since I last posted, but they're still not good - an episode of Boardwalk Empire yesterday afternoon took 45-50 minutes until being available to watch, and over 2 hours to complete. It is still very far indeed from on-demand viewing.

Isitme's contention is an interesting one, but with Sky still not admitting there is an issue at all there's no way to know if there's anything to that. It remains frustrating.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Download quite a bit most days on my 19.5mb sky broadband unlimited.
      Not having any problems at all, available to view within seconds of downloading.

Is it just one channel or all channels? BBC does seem to be suffering with their iPlayer content lately from what I heard (source of this may have some bearing with sky catchup for BBC too).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast