Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using powerline adapters and Virgin BB?

This is a discussion on Using powerline adapters and Virgin BB? within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; HI, my mum in law is daftly paying for all sorts on sky she cannot use as she is not ...

mattylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Using powerline adapters and Virgin BB?

HI, my mum in law is daftly paying for all sorts on sky she cannot use as she is not connected.

So we want to connect her sky hd box to her virgin router and as much as I detest the things powerline adapters are about the best way of achieving this, running a cable is not likely to happen any time soon.

Does this work OK with the sky box?
      Also are there any types that are recommended or advised to avoid?

Thank s,
      Matt

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Using powerline adapters and Virgin BB?

I'm using TP-Link AV200 Nano Powerline Adaptors between VM hub and Sky+ HD box. They're not the fastest adaptors available but for this situation I don't see any point in paying extra for anything faster.

I do have a problem that I have been unable to resolve in that I keep losing access to the on demand server (Sky active is fine). The only way to resolve this is to re-boot the Sky box after which everything works flawlessly until I switch the hub off at night. I don't believe this problem has anything to do with the power line adaptors as my DRX890W exhibits the same symptoms when using wi-fi.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

mattylad (02-08-14)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

There is no need to switch off the Sky+ HD STB at night. You should ideally place it in 'Stand by' mode. Of course you may actually mean this, so sorry if I've jumped in a little here.

The latest firmware (R009) will allow you to place is in 'Eco' mode which uses far less electric.

Once selected, simply press the power on/off button on your remote and allow the STB to go into standby mode.

If you are having issues with the HomePlugs or PowerLine adaptors, could I ask that you check that they have the latest firmware installed? You'll need to check the manufacturer's website for this. Some issues have been picked up in the past which a suitable firmware update has resolved.

Speed wise the Sky STB doesn't really push things much. The adaptor is a 100mb Ethernet port and often OD or CUTV content is only downloaded at no more than (I am guessing) 5mb/s.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There is no need to switch off the Sky+ HD STB at night. You should ideally place it in 'Stand by' mode. Of course you may actually mean this, so sorry if I've jumped in a little here.
      It's the hub that I switch off at night not the Sky+ HD box. Strangely the problem only occurs in eco mode. If I change the standby mode to active everything is fine.
      I did have a service visit booked but the problem went away. I delayed the visit for two weeks and then finally cancelled it before the problem reappeared.

Thanks

My MIL has a similar issue as she turns everything off, BB, etc.
      Although I think the sky box is the only thing we have managed to get her to leave on.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

We advise members of this forum to leave their routers on 24/7. This is because it will affect the connection speed primarily, but also repeatedly switching on/off the router can shorten the lifespan of the electronics in the router.

Whilst the first issue should not be the case with Virgin, I would of thought that the second was applicable to the VM routers.

If electricity costs are a concern, then I would look again at who a Cat 5e cable can be installed. It should be fine to follow the same route as the TV Aerial, if the ducting is wide enough.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
      HI, my mum in law is daftly paying for all sorts on sky she cannot use as she is not connected.

So we want to connect her sky hd box to her virgin router and as much as I detest the things powerline adapters are about the best way of achieving this, running a cable is not likely to happen any time soon.

Does this work OK with the sky box?
      Also are there any types that are recommended or advised to avoid?

Thank s,
      Matt
      Isn't the Sky WiFi connector a viable option?
      They are no longer free to all customers but you can get one free if you upgrade to Sky Movies for at least 1 month.

Thanks

She already has sky movies so not likely to get it as no upgrades are possible.

I'm watching some adapters on ebay, this is currently the only way to go as I'm not fitting a cable and noone else will.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
      She already has sky movies so not likely to get it as no upgrades are possible.

I'm watching some adapters on ebay, this is currently the only way to go as I'm not fitting a cable and noone else will.
      If she has Sky Movies then she/you just needs to call Sky to get the free adaptor.
      No need to spend anything.
      Just call to downgrade movies and say it's because you cannot get on-demand movies like new cuistomers can. They can then send a free WiFi connector.
      If downgrades don't do this then transfer to cancellations as they will certainly do this for an easy save!
      You might also get a few months half price movies as these offers can be stacked, for the time being.