Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Problems with downloading anything on OD - technical fault 10

This is a discussion on Problems with downloading anything on OD - technical fault 10 within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi. I have recently add a second HD+ box to my bedroom. All is working well: I can download programs, ...

Marilyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Problems with downloading anything on OD - technical fault 10

Hi. I have recently add a second HD+ box to my bedroom. All is working well: I can download programs, HD channels work, etc... I manually set up my router and it shows it working, but when I attempt to download 'ANY' programs it gets to 4-5% and then just abruptly stops: it returns with the aforementioned 'technical fault 10'. I have tried Skyt Plan Rebuilder, but nothing works.
      Someone set something about downloading a utility to if your signal is being compromised by another router, or something.

Any help would be great as I want to download catch-up, as it's brilliant.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Problems with downloading anything on OD - technical fault 10

Hi Marilyn.

Both technical fault 7 & technical fault 10 are usually associated with an unspecified HDD problem.
      I have read posts before where only HD recordings or downloads from on demand alone were affected but usually it's more random than that.

Have you tried anything other than a planner rebuild?

Exchange:
      Thanks

No, I haven't. Just checked the box downstairs and it works fine. Will Sky give me a new box? If required. Otherwise, how ca I fix this fault? (And it's a brand new box!).

Cheers!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

If the box came from sky & it's less than 1 year old, then sky will replace it free of charge if needed.

There's several things to check / try before that stage though.

Do you have a multiscreen subscription & if so, have you paired the card with the box?
      After pressing SERVICES on the remote & going to SETTINGS, then NETWORK, how does the info differ from that of the downstairs box?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, I proceeded to download some 'non-hd' clips from CI, and they all worked and downloaded fine. And even BBC Iplayer worked but now it has reverted to what the state was before. Multiscreen? Well, in my room, if that qualifies? Paired the card? Well, I have a separate card that goes in my corresponding box. I know I had to go online to activate channels as that weren't appearing on my box. Even though I have the master socket connected to my router next room I cannot access view my bill, etc; therefore, I cannot get the pairing done via that method.
      If you could tell me how to do it, please?

Thanks.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Hello Marilyn,

Could we back track a little for a moment please?

This new box you have, where did it come from (i.e. installed by Sky or yourself) and how is it connected to your router?

Yes a Tech. fault #10 is normally associated with a hard drive fault, but there are a couple of things that may help to resolve it.

Just to clarify "MultiScreen" is the new Sky name for what was "Multi-room". Since things have changed somewhat, Multiscreen also extends to cover the concept of computers, tablets and smart phones. This is supported in some ways as Sky Go Extra is free if you have the Multiscreen subscription.

Provided that you pay the Multiscreen subscription then the 2nd STB should have all the functionality of the main box.

If you had a Sky engineer set it all up, then it should be safe to continue. If you purchased the STB as a second hand box, please confirm that you have correctly paired your viewing card with the STB before continuing. We can help you with this if you need to.

Provide everything is fine then what are the two things that may help?

1. Planner Rebuild
      2. System Reset

The Planner Rebuild is non-destructive and should reconstruct the database on the STB and a few other housekeeping things that can help. Before doing the planner rebuild it is a good idea to empty the 'Deleted' tab in the Planner. To do this, using your Sky remote, press <TV Guide> <Green> <Left> <Down>. You can now press the <Yellow> button to permanently remove any old recordings from your STB.

The planner rebuild will take between 5 minutes and 20 minutes to complete. You won't be able to do any recordings during this time and any that have started will be stopped. So please do it when nothing is scheduled.

Now it is ok to do the planner rebuild. Using your Sky remote control again, press <Services> 0 0 1 <Select> 7. This should highlight "Sky+ Rebuild" in the menu. Press <Select> and follow the instructions on your screen.

The process will take around 5 minutes to complete. Initially the will be a message on the screen to say that it is starting then it will all go blank.

After around 5 minutes press the <Sky> button until the green LED blinks and the STB restarts.

Check it out and see if you are able to download anything successfully.

If this doesn't work then the answer is to wipe the hard drive completely and hope this works. If this doesn't resolve the issue then it is a replacement STB.

Before you do the system reset please watch anything that you want to and note any planned recordings.

Now, using the Sky remote, press <Services> 0 0 1 <Select> 8. "System Reset" will be highlighted. Again press <Select> and follow the on screen instructions.

As before, after around 5 minutes, press <Sky> to wake up the STB. Check out to see if you can download anything.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. You're very helpful. The box was/is brand-new and was installed by the engineer (and everything else); I paired the card myself and connected the router via wireless connection. As stated before: the main sky box downstairs doesn't have any error 10, or of the like, and it a lot older than mybox (weird).
      I have tried the re-builder without any success. And as I have noted in previous post(s): it will download some progs but not others - why all the inconsistency? Looks like I may have to to the system restart, but will watch my existing programs first.
      Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks.

Thanks

Do try the System Rebuild first.

Only if that doesn't resolve things should you move on to the System Reset.

Remember that if your STB is under 12 months old that you should have a warranty. This will mean that any call out to replace the STB will be free.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok. Will post results accordingly.

RESULTS: I am able to download some clips from various different channels, but it's like luck which prog you can do that with. Moreover, that dosen't mean just cause you got one clip from-said site that you can get the one next to it. And I cannot seem to be able to download 'ANY' of the movies on offer. I don't understand it AT ALL! Really frustrating.

No idea why this is so random.

Last edited by Marilyn; 20-06-14 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks

Which steps have you completed? (i.e. Planner Rebuild or Planner Rebuild and System Reset)

Since you are able to record on the STB it is safe to say that the card has been paired with it. If both tasks have been completed then I fear it is a call to Sky and get an engineer to swap out the STB for a replacement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast