Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Problems with downloading anything on OD - technical fault 10

This is a discussion on Problems with downloading anything on OD - technical fault 10 within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; If your STB is connected to the Internet you should be able to use the Interactive section now. As mentioned ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Problems with downloading anything on OD - technical fault 10

If your STB is connected to the Internet you should be able to use the Interactive section now.

As mentioned in my previous post, I fear that something may have gone wrong that can't be resolved without some help from someone Sky's call centres. This is why I believe you would be better of calling them.

Tel: 03442 414141

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Marilyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Update: I decided to re-pair the card, and when I woke up this morning Sky had 'updated' my stb: tested movies/box-sets and works no problem; and has the same 'home' screen as downstairs (which I thought was a bit weird, and now I understand why).
      Strange how these things are always - well, the solution(s) - can be so simple. Thanks so all your help, especially, Scubbie. Case closed...

P.S. I can't 'view my bill', as it states my stb should be connected to a phone line. The same for the other features; I haven't checked for other interactive feature sections, though. Will do a bit later.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marilyn For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (27-06-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      Update: I decided to re-pair the card, and when I woke up this morning Sky had 'updated' my stb: tested movies/box-sets and works no problem; and has the same 'home' screen as downstairs (which I thought was a bit weird, and now I understand why).
      Strange how these things are always - well, the solution(s) - can be so simple. Thanks so all your help, especially, Scubbie. Case closed...
      This is what the forum is for. Everyone who contributes deserves some praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      P.S. I can't 'view my bill', as it states my stb should be connected to a phone line. The same for the other features; I haven't checked for other interactive feature sections, though. Will do a bit later.
      Currently new installations with a Multiscreen contract no longer require you to have all the STBs connected to the telephone line.

Unfortunately installations prior to the date in December 2013 (sorry I can't recall the actual date) do require you to have all the boxes connected.

Sky are working on this and we'll provide suitable news when this happens. For now though please do connect all your Sky boxes to a telephone line, not just the Internet.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

The interactive section works after all... I take note of the last part of your post. Thanks to everyone (but Scubbie is too 'damn good' ) for all the help.

Amazing forum and contributors.

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.

marklewins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01782
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Do try the System Rebuild first.

Only if that doesn't resolve things should you move on to the System Reset.

Remember that if your STB is under 12 months old that you should have a warranty. This will mean that any call out to replace the STB will be free.
      Hi all,

I would just like to add I am having the same issue with a 9month old 2tb sky+ hd box. To the extent that my box crashes when trying to playback recordings. Failed recordings are often on a tech fault-10.

This is skys way of saying your box has an unspecified hard-drive fault. No amount of planner rebuild or system resets will cure it. All you are doing is resetting the software much like reformatting a PC. Nothing can cure a faukted hard drive sector other than a new hard drive.

If your box is under guarantee or extended warranty, request a brand new box. It is the only way to permanently solve the issue. A reset or rebuild will seem to work until your box tries to record on the damaged sector and the problems begin again.

Hope this helps...i typed this whilst on phone to sky tech line. They were a bjt worried whenni stated this. They seem to have a way of working geared to prolonguing device life to point of guarantee epiration. At that point it becomes an expensive fix and extra profit to sky...rather than a free fix and sky realising their system is not as good as Tivo epg.

Thanks.

Mark

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the spelling....fat fingers + small screen. Cheers
      Last edited by Saturday; 30-06-14 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Fixed broken quote

Thanks

Sadly Tech fault 10 and Tech fault 7 causes aren't known in much detail outside of Sky.

If I were to suggest that the actual cause may not be the actual hard drive, but perhaps something in the interface might be at fault too. The fault could be further away from the drive than that. The STBs are made to Sky's design, although the firms which built them will have had their designers involved. Unfortunately Sky is a PLC and do not have to publish failure rates or reasons for the public to view. Perhaps you can understand that it can be hard for us to diagnose the specific fault.

A Planner Rebuild tidies up the database and a few other essential maintenance tasks. It's too quick for a full defrag. The System Reset reformats the drive and therefore wipes everything.

In Marilyn's case we had the card pairing to consider. It appears that this may have been the cause.

Both of these have been known to resolve both errors. However not in all cases.

Since your 2TB STB is only 9 months old, it should be covered by a 12 month warranty if you bought it directly from Sky. This means that if an engineer has to swap it out, then it should be for free.

I also try to consider what recordings a person may have on the STB before the System reset or STB swap is suggested. I know I'd be upset if I lost all the recordings I have on mine at the moment, even if I can get many of them back through the CUTV or OD services.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Problem: When trying to download yesterday's Panorama, it initially initializes the download then returns 'subscription required' error. Have tried couple of other random ones and they go okay. Then I also get '...currently unavailable' - even though the bloody program is listed on the catch-up!
      Tried random other movies and box-sets and works fine.

Any idea's?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Hi Marilyn.
      Don't worry, it's nothing to do with your sky box.

There have been many reports of this exact problem occurring over the last few days, in particular with programmes on bbc iplayer.

To double check, i just tried to download yesterday's panorama & i get the same error too.
      Sky are working on it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cool. When will we/I know that the problem has been rectified? (Apart from obviously the download completing ).

Thanks.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I suspect when it does download is when we'll know.

I don't think sky are treating it as a major problem just yet & as a result haven't issued any kind of announcement.
      What i've seen is several reports of such & such a programme giving the error described above, then a response from sky along the lines of 'thanks for reporting this, we are aware of the issue & working on it'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast