Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow On Demand

This is a discussion on Slow On Demand within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Has anyone been experiencing slow On Demand downloads recently? I downloaded a 2.1GB file over the weekend and after an ...

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Slow On Demand

Has anyone been experiencing slow On Demand downloads recently?

I downloaded a 2.1GB file over the weekend and after an hour it was still at 70% complete. This is on a 40/10 fibre connection. Nowt wrong with the fibre as a speedtest at the same time showed a 37/8 result.

I checked the official forum and there's a few complaints on there with Sky 'looking in to it', but there doesn't seem to be a particular area that has been affected.

2. Advertisement
      Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Slow On Demand

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Has anyone been experiencing slow On Demand downloads recently?

I downloaded a 2.1GB file over the weekend and after an hour it was still at 70% complete. This is on a 40/10 fibre connection. Nowt wrong with the fibre as a speedtest at the same time showed a 37/8 result.

I checked the official forum and there's a few complaints on there with Sky 'looking in to it', but there doesn't seem to be a particular area that has been affected.
      I always watch the downloads as they happen and had no problems but did notice over the weekend a couple of the shows hit the buffer if I FF'ed at all. I do hope this could be a temporary glitch and not some change in the algorithm which has the download and buffer playing a game of catch-me-if-you-can .

mjstokes85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMILKES
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 30mb
      Router: BT HH5
      Thanks

Slow On Demand

I am getting ridiculously slow on demand speeds, it took an hour to download 330mb father ted episode earlier, speed test on wired PC showing 37 down 9 up and wireless speed test on iphone 4 shows 23 down and 8 up, I am using wireless mini on demand connector. Sometimes downloads are fine, what I do is start a download and time 1 minute then stop downloading and see how many mb it had downloaded, if it's good I'll get about 90mb per minute, when it's bad it's more like 3mb a minute, shocking!! It's not my internet as I've said. I am on bt infinity by the way. Any ideas besides trying an Ethernet cable?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I have seen a few reports of slow downloads from Sky's On Demand over the past week or two.

I believe that their servers are getting busy.

It has been reported but I haven't read any confirmation/acknowledgement of the issue yet.

I have now asked a little higher up and will try to let you know when I do.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I am using wireless mini on demand connector.
      I think that answers part of your question, your wireless connection speed is poor. You would be better with a pair of homeplugs, using them to connect by ethernet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think that answers part of your question, your wireless connection speed is poor. You would be better with a pair of homeplugs, using them to connect by ethernet.
      It probably won't help, the problem is most likely Skys end as there are quite a few complaints of it on their forums.

Been experiencing it as well, Since the weekend it's been awfully slow.

80/20 Plusnet connection here, STB is cabled via CAT5e.

essenby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Atterclliffe
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is rather a glib generalisation I'm afraid. I also use the wireless mini On-Demand connector and watched Prince of Persia (in HD) last week after only 30 seconds or so of initial buffering.

Last night however was a different story. It took so long to download The Amazing Spiderman that I gave up and watched something else. A speed check at that time, done from a wireless connected tablet in the same room showed a solid 20Mbps down and 10 up.

The problem obviously lay (last night) with the ability of the Sky servers to satisfy demand - or at least my demand.

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

if you check wireless speeds for different devices always check as close to the same position as device having the issue, as positioning and distance from router can have a difference on wireless throughput and different devices can throughput differently as well

also best method using laptop is to ping router 192.168.0.1 to check for latency
      Last edited by tenar; 09-06-14 at 01:50 PM. Reason: doubled post