Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

New on Demand Minibox causing skybox to hang

This is a discussion on New on Demand Minibox causing skybox to hang within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Since installing the new wireless wifi minibox via usb port on rear of sky+ HD box either overnight or sometimes ...

Skywalk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01554
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New on Demand Minibox causing skybox to hang

Since installing the new wireless wifi minibox via usb port on rear of sky+ HD box either overnight or sometimes during the day box displays "NO SIGNAL" and have to power on / off skybox to reload to get it to work again.Has anyone experienced this or can you suggest a fix .Thanks

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: New on Demand Minibox causing skybox to hang

Hi Skywalk & welcome to the forum.

Just to make sure it is the wireless connector that is causing the problem. Have you tried disconnecting it, rebooting the Sky box and waiting to see if the "NO SIGNAL" problem recurs?

Could you also go to Services > Settings > System Details and post the Model & Version numbers of your box?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Also could you check the signal strength where the Mini WiFi connector is being used please?

If you could use something such as inSSIDer on your laptop, tablet or smart phone and report what you are getting i would be appreciated.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Skywalk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01554
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Hi Seawright, I disconnected wifi mini box yesterday from rear usb port on Sky box and since then have not had the problem with skybox showing amber light and no signal message on tv screen. I am beginning to suspect that mini box supplied may be faulty ? Info you requested is Model number R007.061.49.00p and version 4f3101

steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

Just a shot on the dark - could the minibox be pulling too much power from the USB port?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalk View Post
      Hi Seawright, I disconnected wifi mini box yesterday from rear usb port on Sky box and since then have not had the problem with skybox showing amber light and no signal message on tv screen. I am beginning to suspect that mini box supplied may be faulty ? Info you requested is Model number R007.061.49.00p and version 4f3101
      You are the first person I have heard of who has had problems with their mini box and as nobody else has responded I do not think it is a common problem. As you say it could be a faulty unit and what steelysteph says does make sense. I asked for model number in case the problem was associated with new software that is currently being rolled but as you still have the earlier software that has been in use for a few months that wouldn't appear to be the problem.

You might like to give Sky TV tech a call and explain the situation and ask if they could send you a replacement adaptor.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

I would be surprised if the power supply were the case, but I appreciate that it could be a possibility. The version number indicates that this is an old DRX890, so perhaps even more of a possibility.

The Mini WiFi adapter was specifically designed for the Sky+ HD STB and tested on a mixture of DRX890 and DRX895 STBs prior to beta testing and later within the EPG beta test group.

As a result I have one. Apart from a handful of occasions when I have disconnected it, for example to take a photo of the rear for this forum, it has stayed connected to my DRX890. Although I have an Ethernet cable available (it was connected to my STB) I have specifically left the Mini WiFi Adapter connected.

Signal strength appears to be the main issue. I'm not sure of the threshold when this becomes the case though.

For reference this picture below is a snapshot of the signal taken directly above my Mini WiFi adaptor. As it is connected to the 5GHz channel I picked this for the display with inSSIDer.

New on Demand Minibox causing skybox to hang-inssider.jpg

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

jimroy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pendleton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

After replacing my original connector with the new mini one I have found the signal strength to be half that of the old one. Even though Airport Utility says the connection's excellent, Sky's - settings - network says otherwise. It also takes 4 times longer to download from on demand compared with the old one. I got the mini to free up a plug socket and for power saving reasons but I can't live with it's weaknesses so I'm returning to using the old connector.

Thanks

Just wonder if the old connector, with the correct power lead, could get its 5V supply from the Sky box's USB socket thereby freeing up a plug socket and still giving you a high connection speed.
      Scubbie likes this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It would not work with the Mark 1 version as it requires a 12v 1amp supply. I don't know about the Mark 2, but it is probably the same.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast