Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I use my old Sky Broadband Netgear router as a wifi hub for On Demand?

This is a discussion on Can I use my old Sky Broadband Netgear router as a wifi hub for On Demand? within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I swapped over to BT Broadband a while ago (much faster where I live) but I still have my old ...

molan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01491
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can I use my old Sky Broadband Netgear router as a wifi hub for On Demand?

I swapped over to BT Broadband a while ago (much faster where I live) but I still have my old Sky Netgear router.

Is there a way to use this to connect wirelessly to my new network & then into my Sky HD box so I can use On Demand services?

I've plugged the router in near my Sky box & the wifi light is on but no obvious signs that it's receiving an internet signal from either my BT Router or my Apple Time Capsule.

Apologies if this topic has been covered before - I did search but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Re: Can I use my old Sky Broadband Netgear router as a wifi hub for On Demand?

Sadly none of the Sky routers come with a firmware which allows them to be used in this way.

You could piggyback the router to your new BT HomeHubv3, but you will have to link the two using a pair of HomePlugs or an Ethernet cable.

Edit: Correction, the old white Netgear DG834GT can be updated with the originial Netgear firmware. This supports this feature.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

The Sky router I have is the old white Netgear DG834GT

IS there a, fairly easy to follow, explanation of how to set this up?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts
      I'll let someone else jump in here as I'm not familiar enough with the DG834GT.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I'll let someone else jump in here as I'm not familiar enough with the DG834GT.
      Thanks - I have to admit I'm no expert when it comes to configuring routers!

I have checked that the Netgear is working & it's transmitting wifi signal Ok. Just not sure how to connect it to my wifi network & then through to the Sky Box

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

First download and instal the latest DGTeam firmware. The version you need will depend on the ADSL version, so be careful to download the correct one. http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/netgear/

You will probably have to use the Recovery Utility tool which is available on the Sky CD or from the Netgear site. Assistance with flashing can be found here- http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...gt-router.html and here http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...-password.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      First download and instal the latest DGTeam firmware. The version you need will depend on the ADSL version, so be careful to download the correct one. http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/netgear/

You will probably have to use the Recovery Utility tool which is available on the Sky CD or from the Netgear site. Assistance with flashing can be found here- http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...gt-router.html and here http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...-password.html
      Sorry but I'm not sure how to install new firmware ?

I don't know how to 'communicate' with my Sky router from my existing network?

Thanks

Sorry but I'm not sure how to install new firmware ?
      The second link gives full instructions.
      The first link is if you find you get problems with the upgrade.

I don't know how to 'communicate' with my Sky router from my existing network?
      It really should be done by plugging the Netgear directly into your PC, not over a network.. Note that it is better using XP, although it will run in Vista or Win 7, provided you use XP Compatibility mode to run the exes. If you are using Macs, sorry, I can't help you there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Logged in to my Router OK and have tried a few of the firmware upgrades but none of them seem to be of the correct format.

The Router is currently running in version V1.03.87 (CU3.04).

Is their a guide somewhere that lists the most up to date firmware or do i need to download each one and try them individually?

Thanks

The files are all in zip or compressed format. You must unzip them to get to the .img file which is the format you need to update. You can use the Windows built in unzipper or download 7Zip which is far better. Click 7-Zip which one you need will depend on whether you are running 32 or 64 bit Windows.

The firmware version the router is running now does not matter, that is a Sky version which is different to standard or DGTeam. The only thing that matters is the ADSL driver, which will end in 022, 023 or 026. If you use the older version of the DGT firmware, ie, this one http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/netgear...GTeam_0848.zip you will not need to worry about the driver version as it covers all.

If you prefer you can use the official Netgear firmware, but I am not certain if it will do what you want. DG834GT DG834GT Although it appears to have an older version number than the version you have, it is newer, as Sky and Netgear use different numbering. You could install this if you wish and if it does not do what you want you can then put on the DGTeam firmware.

TomD

Useful Utilites