Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky apps won't connect unless via Devolo Homeplugs' WIFI

This is a discussion on Sky apps won't connect unless via Devolo Homeplugs' WIFI within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I posted this on Sky's help forum and asked their tech support but got nowhere. Any boffin on here give ...

Jack_Hennety is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DGND3700v2
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky apps won't connect unless via Devolo Homeplugs' WIFI

I posted this on Sky's help forum and asked their tech support but got nowhere. Any boffin on here give me some suggestions?

Neither my iPad 3 nor my Nexus 4 phone will find the Sky box when they are connected to the router's WIFI signal.

However, the Sky box is connected to the network using ethernet via a Devolo homeplug (which can also act as an access point). If I connect either of my devices to the Devolo WIFI signal rather than to the router's original signal, both connect to the Sky box immediately (note that they also both connected fine to the main router when I was using Sky's wireless connector, before I got the homeplugs).

I don't see why this should be the case, as it's ultimately the same network, but does the Sky box consider that its homeplug connection is somehow a different network to the standard router connection?

I don't particularly want to make my devices connect to the Devolo for WIFI; I'd rather use the router's 5Ghz WIFI if possible, but as soon as I connect to that (or its 2.4Ghz frequency for that matter) the Sky app immediately loses its connection to the box.

Equipment is this:
      Broadband: 76Mb fibre, Plusnet
      Sky box: DRX895 (ie. 1Tb) running R005.053.70.15P
      iPad 3: running iOS 6.1.2
      Nexus 4: running JB 4.2.2
      Devolo Homeplug dLAN 200 AV Plus v6 (no updates available)

And I've tried this:
      Uninstalling and reinstalling apps on both devices (both are now bang up-to-date), plus reboots
      Rebooting the Sky box via Planner Rebuild
      Doing a forced software download on the Sky box
      Turning off the Devolo WIFI access point completely, so only the dLAN is active and there's only the router to connect to over WIFI
      Setting a static IP for the homeplugs and the Sky box on the router
      Making sure UPnP is on on the router

Result is always the same: Sky box found fine from both when connected to homeplug WIFI, never when to the router itself. Over to you...hopefully...

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky apps won't connect unless via Devolo Homeplugs' WIFI

There have been quite a few people reporting that they have had issues with the Sky+ app. What you have gone through appears to have covered the main suggestions which have resolved their issues.

Could I ask if it is possible for you to temporarily connect the STB via an Ethernet cable to your router please?

Have you installed the latest firmware on the router?

Finally, using the Netgear Genie app, can that see the Sky+ HD STB?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it's not possible to connect the Sky box directly to the router with an ethernet cable as they're on different floors of the house (hence the homeplugs). This is the one thing I haven't been able to check.

The router has the latest firmware, yes (V1.1.00.12_1.00.12). And on the router, the Sky box is currently showing as an attached, wired device, with the IP address I assigned it using LAN setup.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Some routers (mine amongst them) appear to treat the wired network and the wi-fi network as two separate networks even though the ip addresses and net masks would indicate otherwise. I have two Sky boxes one connected by ethernet and the other connected by wifi (using sky's adapter). My wifi connected laptop can see the wifi connected Sky box & my desktop can see the other Sky box but not vice versa. AFAIK the multicast packets used by the apps to discover Sky boxes will not bridge the barrier that my router places between ethernet and wifi.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So if this is the case, there's not really a way of changing my configuration to get it to work. I agree that it seems ethernet and WIFI are apparently treated differently at some level. So basically the only answer would be a change to the app itself. Maybe this will happen as homeplugs become more prevalent...but I won't hold my breath.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I trust that your HomePlugs aren't set up to work as a DHCP Server?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Assuming that there is good wifi coverage at your Sky box my only suggestion would be to purchase Sky's wifi adaptor and make sure that it connects to your router's access point not the Devolo's. You could always return it for a full refund if it didn't work.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Assuming that there is good wifi coverage at your Sky box my only suggestion would be to purchase Sky's wifi adaptor and make sure that it connects to your router's access point not the Devolo's. You could always return it for a full refund if it didn't work.
      I already have one, but I changed it to the homeplugs because it was painfully slow to download HD content! As I said in my first (admittedly lengthy) post, when I used that adaptor, everything connected fine. But then there was no additional connection to muddy the waters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I trust that your HomePlugs aren't set up to work as a DHCP Server?
      No, they're not. I didn't think they could be? They have a setting 'Use this to accept network settings automatically from a DHCP server', which is selected, which I take to mean they get their IP addresses from the router. Alternatively they have a setting 'Here you can configure the local IP address for the device', with the options of IP address, Netmask and Default Gateway. These are greyed out because 'accept DHCP' is ticked.

I don't really understand how 'configure the local IP address for the device' would work even if 'accept DHCP' was off. Could the homeplug tell the router the IP address it wants? I wouldn't have thought so. Either way, I have tried using that option and setting a static IP on the router for the homeplug, but that didn't work either. So I went back to the default 'accept DHCP' setting.

Thanks

Not sure whether this would work as Sky's wifi adaptors are not designed to be used as access points. Turn off your router's wifi and connect the Sky adapter directly to your router using an ethernet cable. As both devices have DHCP servers you may need to set a static ip address for the adapter by first connecting it to your PC and configuring it via its web interface. Once connected check that you can access its web interface from your pc via the router. Then see if you can connect to it by wifi from your iPad. this may require using ad-hoc mode. Check that your iPad can connect to the internet and providing all is well launch the Sky+ app and see if it will discover your Sky box. Assuming it does then this will prove that it is a problem with access via your router's wifi and not a problem with using homeplugs.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hmm, that might be a job for the weekend; the wireless connector's in the loft now. Thanks for the suggestion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast