Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing to LLC based settings on Netgear router

This is a discussion on Changing to LLC based settings on Netgear router within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi there I have a Netgear router, by changing the ADSL settings on the router settings page from multiplexing method ...

karenlou is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Changing to LLC based settings on Netgear router

Hi there

I have a Netgear router, by changing the ADSL settings on the router settings page from multiplexing method to LLC based I got my on demand service working which is great, but I would like to know what this actually does to my rotuer by changing these settings?

Does anyone know the difference between multiplexing methos and LLC based?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Here's a technical description (sorry!):

Apparently "LLC encapsulation is more flexible because it can carry multiple protocols per ATM circuit, VC multiplexing uses a separate ATM virtual circuit for each protocol so is more efficient as it uses less overheads."

Seems that this change is needed on some ISPs otherwise On Demand won't work. Not sure though if all routers allow the setting to be changed easily or even at all. And presumably some ISPs may only support VC and not LLC.

Obviously you have been able to change the setting on your router and it has made On Demand work, so that's all good!

Some say VC-based is "better for gaming and surfing the web at the same time" and gives slightly (but not necessarily noticeably) better throughput if that's a concern.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)