Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help upgrading to sky on demand

This is a discussion on Help upgrading to sky on demand within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am going around in circles with Sky at the moment. I have an normal white sky+ box and have ...

lithium_77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Earby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help upgrading to sky on demand

I am going around in circles with Sky at the moment. I have an normal white sky+ box and have read online on the sky site that I can have a free black sky+ box to be able to enjoy this new service. I would have to pay a 15 self set up fee, fine and purchase their 22 wireless router connector as my router is in another room, not a problem. I proceed to order this online and am presented with the following message

Awaiting Delivery

Our records show that you may currently be awaiting a visit related to your hardware. You cannot therefore purchase boxes at this time.

So I use the chat system and they say there is a pending engineer visit and I need to have it cancelled, so I ring CS and ask for it to be removed. They then tell me I can only have the service if I go HD for 10.25 a month, we don't want to pay another 130 a year on top of our current plan and NOWHERE I can see on their website does it say you have to have HD, infact there is a column with just sky+ as an option. Then CS say if I dont want HD then I can get a new black sky+ box for 199!!!!

This is a con! and I think theyre falsely advertising it!

any views on this folks?

cheers

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Help upgrading to sky on demand

The automatic systems can mess things up occasionally. When other members have ordered new STBs the option to select the self-install have been ignored until the last page where there is an option to change it to self-install.

Take a look to see if you can get a good deal on the 2TB box. Sky has just launched this and apart from a small number complaining about a noise, most seem to be happy with it. I don't know the source of the noise, but it is likely to be the hard drive heads moving.

The alternative would be to purchase a 2nd hand Sky+ HD STB. I saw a couple of DRX890s selling for 24 in Portsmouth yesterday. I know of other places selling them for 19 elsewhere in England.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

thanks

my point is the website is lieing to everybody, is there a way i can put a screen grab here

Thanks

Screen dumps are easily added to this forum now. I paste the images I take into PaintShop Pro, crop them as required, save them as a jpg and then use either the picture icon, as shown in the pic below:

Help upgrading to sky on demand-picture-icon.jpg

From there you can upload it from your computer.

Alternatively you can upload it to a photo sharing site (flikr & photobucket are popular) and using the same link, insert the url for the image.

I also sometimes copy and paste an image from another site.

As for lying though, sadly there will always be some small print.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

ok so I think i can get a 2nd hand HD box but I am waiting on seller letting me know make and model. To add further to my issues, I didn't have a landline when I took sky out and now I do, when and if I change boxes over and I do a self set up, will It be possible as its not connected to a phone line?

Thanks

Attached (hopefully) screen dump
      Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Sky prefers people to connect their STBs to the telephone line, particularly when you have a multi-room subscription. It is also cheaper to do it this way if you like to view any PPV events or SBO content.

If you were purchasing a new STB from Sky, then again they like you to have the new STB connected for the first year. After that it is up to you.

Since you are getting a 2nd hand STB, there should be no issue.

Doing that actual change over is relatively simple. Set up the new STB, plug in your viewing card and power it up. Now call Sky and ask them to pair your viewing card to the new STB. you will be asked for your viewing card number and the serial number of the STB. The update should then be completed within moments.

Do ensure that both the Sky+ and On Demand services have been enabled. That is it.

The only major issues reported by other people are to do with the replacement STB belonging to a live account or one where a debt is owed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

lithium_77 (22-11-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lithium_77 View Post
      thanks

my point is the website is lieing to everybody, is there a way i can put a screen grab here
      Your screen dump does not show it as 'Free' it shows it as 'From Free'. The addition of the word 'From', like the old 'Up To' covers a multitude of sins. From reading posts on the forum, it depends a lot on who you speak to as to what deal you can get. You seem to have been unlucky enough to draw someone who has nothing to offer.

If you have had the stay on your account removed. Start again and tell whoever you speak to that you don't have an HD TV and can't afford to buy one, that you just want the later box to give you access to the On Demand function. You may be lucky and get someone who will give you it free with self install. This has worked in the past.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

lithium_77 (22-11-12)

Thanks

Thanks for that, I may consider that option though it is very painful trying to speak to sky at times!!! I am possibly going to get my hands on a 2nd hand Amstrad DRX890 model, will that solve my problem?

Thanks

Certainly a 2nd Hand DRX890 should help hugely.

Do ask where you get it from about their returns policy. Some members have reported that their STBs were still under contract with their previous owners.

Do look around though for the best price. I've a report from up north that they have been seen for 15 now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast