Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

On demand screwing with router ???

This is a discussion on On demand screwing with router ??? within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Was't sure which section to put this one in but went with my instinct as I think the coincidence is ...

blueskyer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

On demand screwing with router ???

Was't sure which section to put this one in but went with my instinct as I think the coincidence is just too much.......

Approx 10 days ago I switched over my white Sky+ box for a black Sky+HD (DRX890) box so I could take advantage of on demand.

Sky box is close to router so went for simple wired ethernet connection and was up and running in no time downloading stuff from on demand, happy days..... until yesterday, when I appeared to have lost the usual on demand screen setup as shown here.

Instead with on demand highlighted within the EPG I have a just a plain list of programmes.

After some investigating it turns out that I've lost the ethernet connection and not just on the port that the sky+HD box was plugged in to.
      I have a DG834GT router (which I stand vertically) and has given perfect service on ALL ethernet ports and via wireless for the last 6 years.

My main computer is connected via the top ethernet port, let's call it port 1 (remember router is vertical) and has perfect connection but since using on demand via the bottom ethernet port 4, I now seem to have lost ethernet connections on ports 2, 3 and 4 !!!

I have proved sky+HD box and ethernet cable by briefly running the on demand service via my last good connection on port 1 and all was perfect. Switched back to port 4.....nothing.

Seems odd that router was perfect up until using on demand. I have previously done lots of other downloading on ports 2, 3 and 4 before without an issue.

Anybody had anything similar or can shed any light on this ?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: On demand screwing with router ???

It is possible that your Sky router has picked this opportunity to signal for its retirement.

If you happen to have a network switch lying about, I would suggest that you connect it to the router to see what happens. Any LEDs on it could indicate that the ports on the Sky router are failing.

Alternatively could you borrow a Sky router from someone nearby? If it works fine, then you know that yours is finally wishing to retire.
      gymno likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

blueskyer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I should have re-read what I had posted because it's marvellous what you learn by doing this.

I guess I had already answered my own question !! Thanks for the reply anyway.

I shall now sulk quietly and order a new Sky hub

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Why sulk, unless it is actually mourning?

Quite a few members love the DG834GT and I would imagine that they would hate to give it up. I am sure that you were clutching to straws in the hope that you had missed something.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Try giving it a blast of DGTeam firmware, you never know it may revive it. I have used it on mine for a long time.
      http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/netgear/

If you are contemplating replacing it, you have nothing to loose.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.