Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection set up for On Demand

This is a discussion on Connection set up for On Demand within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Just reviewing how I've got my network set up for On Demand. Previously: Old Sky Router [the white netgear] hooked ...

kcrolla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ilkeston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connection set up for On Demand

Just reviewing how I've got my network set up for On Demand.
      Previously:
      Old Sky Router [the white netgear] hooked up to TP-Link TL-WR1043ND to take care of the wireless as the sky one was only g not n;
      TP Link TL-PA211 paired with Netgear XAVB101 4 ports [with sky box, bluray and xbox] - all 200mpbs
      Latterly:
      Sky Hub sr101
      TP Link TL-PA211 paired with Netgear XAVB101 4 ports [with sky box, bluray and xbox] - all 200mpbs

Not a lot of difference in the way the two setups work, both are fine.

Two things I want to check with you guys who know these things:
      [1] Fibre is due to come to our village at the end of the year. How does this affect the kit I'll need, if at all?
      [2] It takes about forty minutes to dl a 1 hour HD TV show at 200 mpbs. In real terms, would replacing the current kit with 500 mpbs stuff make a big difference to this dl speed?

Or something else??

Post returned for clarity.

UPDATE: (In case this helps anyone else) As my TP Link powerline units both failed within days of each other (although Amazon EXCELLENT in refunding even though a little outside 12 month period & TP Link equally eager to ensure I was refunded) I replaced set up with TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (TL-SG1005D) plugged into the Sky Hub upstairs with desktop pc; ZyXEL 500 Mbps Powerline Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Starter Kit upstairs into switch; and ZyXEL 500 Mbps 4-Port Powerline Gigabit Switch downstairs with Sky box, xbox and blu-ray player plugged in.

Sat back and waited for speed! Unfortunarely Scubbie, you were right about my broadband speed causing a bottleneck and it still takes 15 minutes to dl Modern Family (21 minutes programme time!) Hey ho. Just have to wait for the fibre then. *sigh*
      On a more postiuve note, see how my connection speed has zoomed with the shy hub!
      Last edited by kcrolla; 24-11-12 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Returned post; update

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Connection set up for On Demand

Sky Fibre, when it is available to you, would use the same model of router now. The only changes would be the VDSL filtered faceplate in your Master socket and the BTO Modem.

The Sky Hub SR101 would then connect to the modem using an Ethernet cable, instead of connecting to the ADSL port in your filtered faceplate or microfilter.

As for the download speed, the 500mb HomePlugs should be a little better, but if your connection speed is the bottle neck, then there won't be any difference. There are a couple of threads in the Fibre section listing good and bad HomePlugs which may be useful for you. Your electrical wiring can make a huge difference though.

What might be a good idea though would be to investigate fitting an Ethernet wall socket near where the router lives and by your TV and running a cable up through the loft, if this is possible. Use a Cat 5e cable as a minimum. A shielded Cat 5e would be better IMHO, but it needs to be correctly fitted and earthed at both ends.

Cat 5e will cope with speeds up to 1Gbit. Cat 6 is good for speeds up to 10Gbit. Cat 5 would only work with up to 100mb, which in all fairness will be exceeded by many Internet connections over the next few years.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

kcrolla (03-11-12)