Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Like Tree6Likes

BBC iplayer launch date 1st October?

This is a discussion on BBC iplayer launch date 1st October? within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by cylon6 ...HDTV I can see the benefits of though but even then because I have an older ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: BBC iplayer launch date 1st October?

Quote Originally Posted by cylon6 View Post
      ...HDTV I can see the benefits of though but even then because I have an older Sky+ box I record shows mostly in standard definition as they take up so much space on the disc.
      Certainly it is true that HD content will occupy considerably more space than SD recordings. With the larger hard drive now being shipped with the 2TB model, this will help a lot of people out.

There are many, including myself, who have upgraded the drive themselves.

I currently have around 18 pages of recordings on my STB. Much of it is HD content. Scary!

Whilst I may have done this myself, I wouldn't wish to encourage someone who is not happy to do the upgrade for themselves if they don't have the suitable knowledge and experience. There are guides on this forum though which will make the task a lot easier. Also the ExPVR program written by mrmt32 is very good.
      speedyrite likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There are many, including myself, who have upgraded the drive themselves.
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Whilst I may have done this myself, I wouldn't wish to encourage someone who is not happy to do the upgrade for themselves if they don't have the suitable knowledge and experience. There are guides on this forum though which will make the task a lot easier. Also the ExPVR program written by mrmt32 is very good.
      Back in the good old days of TiVo UK Series 1, hacking to fit a bigger drive was a fairly common upgrade (because it originally shipped with a 40GB drive - but, even as an IT techie, I always found the process a bit nerve-wracking. I once read someone describe it as comparable to performing open heart surgery on one of your children!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Back in the good old days of TiVo UK Series 1, hacking to fit a bigger drive was a fairly common upgrade (because it originally shipped with a 40GB drive - but, even as an IT techie, I always found the process a bit nerve-wracking.
      Ha, yes. I remember it well. First thing I did with my new Tivo was to replace that drive with a massive 120GB one!

The operation is a little more complex these days with the newer Amstrad SkyHD boxes as they have a "double-decker" motherboard with the drive tucked well away beneath the main level. Still very doable though for anyone who can follow instructions and work a screwdriver .
      speedyrite likes this.

cylon6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You're all a bunch of tech geniuses. I'd mess up my box trying to put a new drive in. Swapping CDs is about my level.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345