Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

BBC iplayer launch date 1st October?

This is a discussion on BBC iplayer launch date 1st October? within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; bummer...just went to catch up on eastenders i missed via sky - bbciplayer not available yet ...so came on here ...

bigj2552 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSGIR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SKY Q HUB
      Sky TV: KODI
      Thanks

Re: BBC iplayer launch date 1st October?

bummer...just went to catch up on eastenders i missed via sky - bbciplayer not available yet ...so came on here for a catch up on the news - thanks for the info guys...at least its coming :-)

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Just checked my Bravia, it has 35 different internet video offerings, including Lovefilm, but no Netflix.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Just checked my Bravia, it has 35 different internet video offerings, including Lovefilm, but no Netflix.
      Unless you have 2012 model then you won't be getting it - ever! Sony made the official announcement earlier in the year - that's what got people's backs up as that was about the same time that last year's models were also left out of the BBC Sports app and HD on Lovefilm when they were launched. These last two were promised as "coming" but still have not arrived.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I thought that I could get NetFlix on my TV or HT. Sadly it isn't available on either . I've got the LoveFilm app on them both, but don't subscribe.

...there again I have enough viewing material not to worry about either of them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

cylon6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The way Sky are securing movie/TV deals I don't think I'll be getting IPTV when there are so many offerings through my set top box. I view IPTV the same as 3D TV. Fun to use for a bit but mostly pointless.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cylon6 View Post
      The way Sky are securing movie/TV deals I don't think I'll be getting IPTV when there are so many offerings through my set top box. I view IPTV the same as 3D TV. Fun to use for a bit but mostly pointless.
      And according to BBC click this weekend, 3dtv is over (lack of content, lack of interest), in recent trade shows no manufacturer was offering anything for 3d.
      Its all 4k tv now.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I saw that piece too. Knowing that both this and last year's CETA shows didn't push 3D TV as much as previous shows, I can understand his statement.

However if you look a little more closely you'll find that many of the 4K TVs are also 3D TVs.

Also Sky 3D is, to the best of my knowledge, the only dedicated 3D TV channel in Europe.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cylon6 View Post
      I agree - but it's always good to have alternatives, even if those mean IPTV via those slow clunky menus inside my TV. And it doesn't stop me being angry that I can't have something (even if I would use it rarely) because Sony can't be bothered to keep their firmware on brand new TVs future-proofed beyond 12 months .

Here is an interesting point though on these TV apps and their clunkiness: Tivo has recently allowed access by third parties to its SDK and tools. I had no idea the resource limits imposed on these apps on modern devices are so miserly: 32MB of system memory, 20MB graphics memory and 1MB hard drive space is the quota. The assumption has to be that your run-of-the-mill TV apps are even more restricted. No wonder they all behave like they were written in the 1990s .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      I agree - but it's always good to have alternatives, even if those mean IPTV via those slow clunky menus inside my TV. And it doesn't stop me being angry that I can't have something (even if I would use it rarely) because Sony can't be bothered to keep their firmware on brand new TVs future-proofed beyond 12 months .

Here is an interesting point though on these TV apps and their clunkiness: Tivo has recently allowed access by third parties to its SDK and tools. I had no idea the resource limits imposed on these apps on modern devices are so miserly: 32MB of system memory, 20MB graphics memory and 1MB hard drive space is the quota. The assumption has to be that your run-of-the-mill TV apps are even more restricted. No wonder they all behave like they were written in the 1990s .
      That's true but I think IPTV is only really viable to people that can't get Sky, Virgin or Freeview and comes off as extremely niche to me. Very sad that in this exciting digital age BBC cutbacks mean a reduced red button service.

Interesting you talk about memory, that would explain why TV apps come across as clunky and actually put me off them altogether.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      And according to BBC click this weekend, 3dtv is over (lack of content, lack of interest), in recent trade shows no manufacturer was offering anything for 3d.
      Its all 4k tv now.
      3DTV seems more a niche novelty than a mass appeal thing. Most programmes shown in 3D aren't really dynamic "WOW" programmes that were made to utilise 3D and show it off to its fullest. HDTV I can see the benefits of though but even then because I have an older Sky+ box I record shows mostly in standard definition as they take up so much space on the disc.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast