Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky On Demand

This is a discussion on Sky On Demand within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've been over a customers house today to connect their DRX895 to the internet. What I noticed was 'On demand', ...

WannabeMKII is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky On Demand

I've been over a customers house today to connect their DRX895 to the internet. What I noticed was 'On demand', something I've not seen before, but they told me it changed yesterday. No problem, as I guessed was just a standard update.

Anyway, it's now on the internet, but how can I / they tell the difference between what's saved on their box and what's downloadable content? Anytime+ used to show and say how big the file was etc, but it doesn't seem to show this?

What I have noticed in the 'Info' is it says to connect to broadband, which it is, but on clicking the program, it opens fine...

I'm confused for a few reasons, which I'm hoping someone can help with;

1. Why is it saying connect to broadband when it is (I've checked the settings, IP address, enabled etc and all fine)?
      2. Does it take a day or so to register that it's connected to the internet?
      3. How can I / they tell what is downloadable and what is saved on the Sky used part of their box?

Hopefully that makes sense and someone can help?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Sky On Demand

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeMKII View Post
      I've been over a customers house today to connect their DRX895 to the internet. What I noticed was 'On demand', something I've not seen before, but they told me it changed yesterday. No problem, as I guessed was just a standard update.
      I hope you wasn't the person who installed my friend's STB last month . It wasn't updated to 49.22, the TV wasn't set up correctly to jump via the Scart connection when the Sky STB was switched on (a setting on the sky box) and the TV wasn't tuned to it on the UHF either.

Also the Sky Remote hadn't been correctly programmed. It is such a simple task to visit the uebv site and get the correct codes:

Sky.com - Find your remote control code

We managed to get it all sorted for her a couple of days later when we visited her.

Anyway, it's now on the internet, but how can I / they tell the difference between what's saved on their box and what's downloadable content? Anytime+ used to show and say how big the file was etc, but it doesn't seem to show this?
      The contents in 'Showcase' are all already stored on the STB and were recorded via the hidden channel that sky uses.

If you press the 'i' button you will see how large the download is. It can be on the 2nd or 3rd screen. Download sizes vary from say 59MB for the 'Sky Anytime+ Demo' to 4, 5 or even 6GB or more for some HD content. Most Sky Movies take up to 3.5GB in HD, but Sky Sports HD content can be much larger. This is because there is often more movement on the Sports content than a movie.

Check out 'Championship - B'ham v Barnsley' which is 8.31GB. Ok it is also 137 minutes long, but it doesn't even have surround sound.

What I have noticed in the 'Info' is it says to connect to broadband, which it is, but on clicking the program, it opens fine...
      Where is this? Could you post a pic as well please?

1. Why is it saying connect to broadband when it is (I've checked the settings, IP address, enabled etc and all fine)?
      Depending on the router that you are connected to, some non-Sky routers can be a little problematic.

There is a post on this forum which provides some ports to be opened.

2. Does it take a day or so to register that it's connected to the internet?
      No. A quick phone call was all I needed to do this evening to get the friend's On Demand service enabled. Within moments it was ready. It just depends on how many similar requests are in the system I guess. I was under the impression that all the boxes despatched from Sky had the Anytime+/On Demand service activated, but apparently not.

3. How can I / they tell what is downloadable and what is saved on the Sky used part of their box?
      See above.

Also it is worth mentioning to new customers that the Sky Store contains only PPV content. Prices vary and pressing the 'i' button will show this information.

Finally 'Catch Up' was added to the line up today. This means that people can now access the ITV Player and Demand 5 content too. Sky has also added a couple of buttons in the catch up section for their own channels and Sky Sports.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Why is it saying connect to broadband when it is (I've checked the settings, IP address, enabled etc and all fine)?
      This is a red herring. It will always tell you to 'Connect to the internet for more content' whether you are connected or not. With the new EPG if you press the On Demand button and your are not connected to the internet, you will get a white screen message to the effect that you are not connected to the internet. You will not see 'Showcase' on the Menu bar but all the listings you see are the Showcase, ie, previously know as Anytime. No Anytime+ or Catch up will be shown.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

WannabeMKII is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well, all up and running today, but wasn't as straightforward as hoped.

First up, it wasn't enabled on the account - I find this bizarre that this is even an option... Surely it should be on by default?

Once enabled on the account, it still wasn't working and after 5 mins or so troubleshooting, when the Sky engineer fitted the new 1TB box, the new card went into the old box and the old card in the new box. As a result, the cards were in sync with the wrong boxes. Swapped them over and hey presto, 'On Demand' :-)

Thanks for all the pointers, appreciated!