Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Changes Concerning Sky Anytime+

This is a discussion on Changes Concerning Sky Anytime+ within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Is it the old one that is 60 on their website? If so that is a huge price decrease. That ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Changes Concerning Sky Anytime+

Is it the old one that is 60 on their website?

If so that is a huge price decrease. That has to be welcome by loads of people.

If it don't work elsewhere whats the difference, surely you would buy one for the ability that the Sky one is designed for anyway?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      If it don't work elsewhere whats the difference, surely you would buy one for the ability that the Sky one is designed for anyway?
      I'm sure most people will, it just would be handy to know (and a bargain at 10) if you could hang a hub off it and also plug in other devices such as an Xbox or Blu-Ray Player.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

if you could hang a hub off it and also plug in other devices such as an Xbox or Blu-Ray Player.
      Does the current one do that now?

I have zero knowledge on the actual product.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If it did work on other devices it would be a cheap way to make a desk top for instance, wireless. Around the same price as a cheap USB adaptor. It is certainly a lot cheaper than the ones sold for Xbox, Sony, Samsung and other suppliers. When I looked into getting one for my Sony TV, they wanted about 70! Needless to say a cable was quickly fed through the loft.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Does the current one do that now?

I have zero knowledge on the actual product.
      I have no idea, which is why I thought I would ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If it did work on other devices it would be a cheap way to make a desk top for instance, wireless. Around the same price as a cheap USB adaptor. It is certainly a lot cheaper than the ones sold for Xbox, Sony, Samsung and other suppliers. When I looked into getting one for my Sony TV, they wanted about 70! Needless to say a cable was quickly fed through the loft.
      Exactly what I was thinking.

Aebleskiver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Very nice... will definitely be worth getting at 10!

The big plus of the Sky wi-fi bridge that I like is that the box is able to interact with and configure it which is a big advantage over the Vonet at least for non-techie users. Still convenient for anyone though because of being able to see signal strengths and not having to hook it up to a PC to reconfig...

The one advantage of the Vonet though is the size... much, much smaller like a memory stick. I've just used adhesive pads to stick mine to the box. Now only if Sky would enable the power on the USB ports, it wouldn't even need a mains adaptor...
      Last edited by Aebleskiver; 20-09-12 at 12:01 AM.

Aebleskiver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      10 is a sensible price.

The cheapest WiFi Media Bridge that we normally recommend people to go for on Amazon is currently 13.35. By the time you add the USB PSU and a USB cable, it works out to be around 21.
      The Vonet one comes with a USB power cable already just for reference (although it's real short, so my apologies if an extension cable was what you had in mind)... I just dug around and found one of my old phone USB mains adaptors and used that.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

You point about enabling the USB sockets on the Sky+ HD (and SkyHD) STB is noted. It used to be enabled, at least for power anyway, and many people would use the USB ports on the STBs to charge their Wii controllers.

It was a USB extension cable that I was referring to. In order to located the dongle in a place which may be a little distance from the mains socket in order to power it up & get a sensible signal.

I have encouraged a friend to purchase one and she'll connect it up once her Sky broadband goes live next week. Since I'll be helping her to configure it, it is easier for me if she can hold back (only had Sky TV installed at the end of August) and not go over her limit bandwidth with TalkTalk.

Before anyone has a go at me, I didn't know about the new Sky pricing and also when she updates her TV we intend to get that connected by connecting the Media Bridge to a 10/100mb network switch and the TV and Sky STB can connect to that. The Vonets VAP11G should be able to cope with that.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Aebleskiver (20-09-12)

morleymiles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You point about enabling the USB sockets on the Sky+ HD (and SkyHD) STB is noted. It used to be enabled, at least for power anyway, and many people would use the USB ports on the STBs to charge their Wii controllers.

It was a USB extension cable that I was referring to. In order to located the dongle in a place which may be a little distance from the mains socket in order to power it up & get a sensible signal.

I have encouraged a friend to purchase one and she'll connect it up once her Sky broadband goes live next week. Since I'll be helping her to configure it, it is easier for me if she can hold back (only had Sky TV installed at the end of August) and not go over her limit bandwidth with TalkTalk.

Before anyone has a go at me, I didn't know about the new Sky pricing and also when she updates her TV we intend to get that connected by connecting the Media Bridge to a 10/100mb network switch and the TV and Sky STB can connect to that. The Vonets VAP11G should be able to cope with that.
      ***Sky 60 wireless bridge no longer on site ...........in fact no wireless bridge at all**
      Interresting

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by morleymiles View Post
      ***Sky 60 wireless bridge no longer on site ...........in fact no wireless bridge at all**
      Interresting
      Looks like all the changes are going live tomorrow, as is the 2TB box.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast