Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

No catch-up service on On Demand

This is a discussion on No catch-up service on On Demand within the Sky Catch Up TV forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Yes - the Network page looks as you say - a different (but valid) IP address but otherwise the same. ...

alancha is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: No catch-up service on On Demand

Yes - the Network page looks as you say - a different (but valid) IP address but otherwise the same.

Our Internet connection is running at about 6900 kbps so should I think be fast enough.

The router I've been using recently doesn't as far as I can see offer a choice between LLC-based and VC-based, so I don't know which it's been using. Just to be sure, I've swapped in another router I have that does offer the choice and is set to LLC-based, so even our connection wasn't using it before, it is now.

When would this "initial signal" have been sent? I actually enabled On demand (or Anytime+ as I think it was called then) some months ago as an experiment, using a temporary network connection I was able to rig up, but I only installed the Sky wifi connector last week. Could it be that the signal was sent some time ago when my box wasn't even online at the time?

If I have to ask Sky - do I ask them to resend the signal to enable "On Demand" or "Catch up" or what? Will they understand my request?

Thanks

(by the way, Isitme - I tried a power-off/power-on cycle but sadly no change :-( )

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

One more observation that may help...

Having just powered-off/powered-on my box (as suggested by Isitme) I went again into the On Demand page and it looked the same. However, when I scrolled down from "All", a pop-up appeared as shown the attached picture. Clearly, the box doesn't think On Demand has been enabled, even show on my Sky account it shows that it has.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No catch-up service on On Demand-2012-10-25-14.59.27.jpg  

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Could it be that the signal was sent some time ago when my box wasn't even online at the time?
      The signals are sent by satellite so not being connected to the internet by ethernet or modem would make no difference. The box would have to have been switched off completely, but as you have par of the update, that is obviously not the case. I would try a forced update, before calling Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

alancha (25-10-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK - as suggested I've done a forced update. Not surprisingly the model number etc is unchanged, as I believe I was on the latest level already.

I guess I call Sky now and ask them to resend that On Demand signal as recommended by Scubbie.

Thanks for all this help - this is a pretty impressive forum that I can get so much help on a weekday afternoon.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right. I called Sky and was fairly quickly put through to a nice Scottish lady in their technical department. She checked a few obvious things, which were all correct, and also asked me to read her my box serial number. After a couple of minutes, she asked me to go back to On Demand via Sky Guide and sure enough it had started working as it should.

I asked her what she'd done and it turns out that the serial number of my box wasn't recorded at their end, so when they sent out the signal to enable the On Demand services, it didn't reach my box.

So - problem solved in only a few minutes. I'm impressed by the excellent support I have to say from Sky as well as from the people on this thread. Also, at first sight, the Catch Up and other On Demand services look very interesting.
      Last edited by alancha; 25-10-12 at 06:11 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Well done.

There is a huge amount of material on there and it is changing a great deal at the moment.

Recently new 'HD' tabs have been added in several sections of the Sky listings.

Have fun looking around. Don't forget to check if you have any download limits

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

cylon6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I know with the On Demand service that some BBC shows are in the Library as they're repeated on other channels like Red Dwarf/Top Gear on Dave or Blackadder on Gold. But it would be good if the BBC did a content deal with Sky like they have with Netflix to show some old shows like 70s era Doctor Who/drama/comedy etc.

Thanks

This is what ITV has also done.

Channel 4 has gone much further and from reading the initial statements, they are also going to include live content in the Sky Go app, as well as content in the library and catch up TV sections.

Of course, when the BBC iPlayer goes live, Sky could very easily add an extra piece for the Beeb within the On Demand section as well.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

cylon6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'm glad ITV have done that as it's been great seeing stuff like Cracker and Prime Suspect in the Library and some new content added here and there like documentaries such as Strictly Kosher. I was hoping that as iPlayer wasn't on Sky at the time a back catalogue of BBC shows would become available soon after it goes live. But I didn't hear about any programming deals being signed.

Channel 4's 4OD offering really does sound comprehensive. The prospect of those old shows on the 4OD website being available in the Library through the Sky+ box really is exciting.

Thanks

It you look in the 'All' button in the Library section, there is a couple of items for Channel 5, but not much.

I would suggest that it is very possible for the different providers to add more content in this manner, but it is down to different agreements and licensing.

Come next Tuesday we'll be able to talk more freely about the BBC iPlayer content and what it is like as everyone will finally be able to see it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast