Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky BB as backup

This is a discussion on Sky BB as backup within the Sky Broadband forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; Hi, Just thought I would say hello. My main ISP is Virginmedia (cable) but I decided to add SKY BB ...

neiljw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01952
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Sky BB as backup

Hi,

Just thought I would say hello. My main ISP is Virginmedia (cable) but I decided to add SKY BB to my Sky TV package as a backup. It will be installed next Friday so it's too early to relate any experiences with it.

Be Lucky,

Neil

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Sky BB as backup

Well ,the router arrived today.

I'm not even connected yet and already I can tell this is a piece of unuseable junk for my purposes. It simply cannot function as a failover device.

Fortunately, I saw this coming and have a suitable ADSL modem already ordered. It's a shame this is against Sky's T&C. It seems likely I will cancel Sky within the time allowed as TalkTalk also have LLC equipment in my local exchange and seem a lot more helpful. Might as well cancel Sky TV too as I already have VirginMedia TV as well and that has improved a lot recently.

Oh well, customers are just a nuisance to Sky that they can do without. I really can't imagine why anyone would use Sky as their primary/sole BB provider. <shrugs>

Be Lucky,

Neil

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

It seems that most people are happy with the newest offering from Sky.

I have it's predecessor and that isn't so hot.

The latest router has the same GUI structure as all the other Sky routers, but it does offer a 144Mb/s WiFi, which is the same as the new BT HomeHub v3.

Which router do you have on order?

Before you have a go at me though, I should say that I do use a non-Sky router, but keep the Sagem 2304n as a backup should it fail.

P.S. You could have used the Sky router as a modem, disabled the WiFi, and continue to use the Virgin Cable router. This would have been within Sky's T&Cs too.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Which router do you have on order?
      It's not a router, it's a modem - a DrayTek Vigor 120. It's the router bit in the Sky offering that is the problem with no facility to disable it. Yes, I know there is a possible workaround with the Sagemcom F@ST 2504N using the DMZ but I can't be sure that would actually work and it makes for a complicated life.

Before you have a go at me though,
      I'm not going to have a go at you, I'm not that kind of person.

P.S. You could have used the Sky router as a modem,
      That's the problem. Sky firmware doesn't allow that. There is no bridge mode.

disabled the WiFi,
      Disabling the wi-fi is the first thing I did when it arrived as I have no use for that anyway. Unfortunately it's not enough. I need it to work purely as a modem to connect to my dual WAN firewall with no NAT or anything else to get in the way The DrayTek will do that.

and continue to use the Virgin Cable router. This would have been within Sky's T&Cs too.
      The Virgin SuperHub is a load of junk, too, but Virgin forced me to have it when I went to 100Mb/s. Virgin did at least relent a few months ago and issued a firmware update which allows the router to be set into bridge mode so that is working fine with my Netgear firewall - even if a little slowly due to the Netgear's limited throughput. Once the basics are sorted out, I will be building a custom firewall device to improve performance

The other thing that is putting me off Sky is their lack of commitment to FTTC.

Anyway, thank you for your response - I really appreciate it.

Be Lucky,

Neil

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neiljw View Post
      It's not a router, it's a modem - a DrayTek Vigor 120. It's the router bit in the Sky offering that is the problem with no facility to disable it. Yes, I know there is a possible workaround with the Sagemcom F@ST 2504N using the DMZ but I can't be sure that would actually work and it makes for a complicated life.
      It definitely works with the Sagem 2304n as I have tried it successfully. Tom's guide should be sufficient to get some guidance for this:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

In my own experiment I hooked up the Sagem 2304n to my Internet and connected my Netgear DGND3700 via it's Ethernet WAN port. By setting a fixed IP address on the Netgear's WAN port and placing that IP address in the Sagem's DMZ setting all worked perfectly well.

I'm still using the Netgear, but using it's own ADSL port as it has both abilities.

I left the Sagem's DHCP Server turned on, so that if something happened to the Netgear I could plug a computer directly into the Sagem and not worry about setting a manual IP address.

You would need to ensure that the IP range for each router was different, but that isn't too difficult. for example, you could leave the Sagem with the address 192.168.0.1 and the WAN port on the cable router could be 192.168.0.250. The cable router's LAN setting could easily use 192.168.1.1-254.

I also found that I could access the Sagem's GUI by put in it's IP address, whilst attached to the Netgear.

An important possible benefit of this is related to the chipsets. If you are connected to Sky's own equipment (rather than Easynet's) then the Sagem will sync at a higher speed than some routers with non-matched chipsets. See this article:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...est-speed.html

Another factor which may or may not happen is Sky's use of MER. You will need to configure your modem to use PPPoA. Sky are using MER where possible. No one has yet been able to successfully connect on a long-term basis to MER. It is possible that Sky could one day disable PPPoA and force everyone onto MER.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Well, Sky BB is now up and running alongside Virgin, I just plugged the Vigor 120 into the wall socket, entered my username and password into the Netgear firewall, enabled WAN2 and away it went. I'm not going to bother jumping through hoops with the Sky router - that's in a drawer in case I should ever need it in the future,

Be lucky,

Neil

Thanks

I'm well into the testing period now and the WAN uptime is 91 1/2 hours. Looks like it's going to be stable at 10Mb/1Mb.

Not too bad really - though a far cry from my Virgin connection. Should be fine as a backup, though.

Be Lucky,

Neil