Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

To Sky or not to Sky?

This is a discussion on To Sky or not to Sky? within the Sky Broadband forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; Hi all, Been with my current ISP (PlusNet) for 8 years now and have been happy with the service but, ...

russguk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

To Sky or not to Sky?

Hi all,

Been with my current ISP (PlusNet) for 8 years now and have been happy with the service but, as I'm paying 21 a month for a 30Gb capped service, I thought it time to look at going to Sky for TV, phone and broadband. The TV and phone side of things is fine, the broadband is something I have a few questions on and wonder if somebody could advise through experience?

Firstly, will Sky unlimited be OK for us - a couple of laptops used for general browsing and 2 Xbox 360's, both running Xbox live? The Xbox issue is my main concern as, if that slows down, I get the wrath of the kids .

Secondly, with Plusnet I have a domain hosted by them. I use this domain for my own email addresses only and don't have a website. I would really like to keep my email addresses, is there any way I can do this? I know Sky won't host a domain but I'm clueless as to my options! Setting up a domain with PlusNet was easy (which is why I did it - transferring from them is leaving me a tad confused.

PlusNet were very good with technical support, I've heard some not very good stories about SKY. Any opinions?

2. Advertisement
      Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: To Sky or not to Sky?

Ex-Plusnet customer here. I switched because I wanted an unlimited service and have had no complaints with Sky. Phone I was less sure about because of LLU, so I left that with BT.

Throughput depends on your exchange and there is a lot of variability - just read the complaints on here (bearing in mind that people happy with their service generally don't post "isn't it great that it's working well"!). Good results are possible - see mine below .

Keeping your Plusnet email is not a problem - when you apply for your MAC make sure you also tell them you want to downgrade your account to dial-up. That keeps the account and associated email addresses active, but existing emails may get cleared out in an account change. I think you're supposed to connect to dialup every so often to make sure it stays current, but I never have as I don't have my main email with them. I moved to Gmail so I wouldn't be stuck if I changed ISPs, and they are still picking up and forwarding Plusnet emails to me.

russguk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the info, I'll look into that one. I've also just had a look at Getdotted for domain hosting and freeola for the email accounts. As I say, I'm no expert on this but does it sound feasible to transfer domain to Getdotted, set up emails (free) with freeola and then, when I join Sky, to transfer (?) my Sky email to this.

Or have I kind of just answered my own question there, do I need to bother with the Sky emails at all?

By the way I just tried the speedtest and got 18.25dl, 0.37u/l, ping 71, server 50 miles. How does that sound?
      Last edited by russguk; 25-05-10 at 11:32 PM. Reason: speedtest

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

when i moved from eclipse 2 years ago to sky i had already set-up a gmail address which is not isp dependant,
      i dont use the sky email the only emails i get are from sky themselves, i still get emails from my eclipse accounts after 2 years and even my old dial-up account emails from around 4 years ago, not sure about domains never used one but set-up an email like gmail hotmail or msn etc and who ever you move to now and in the future you wont lose out on emails, as for sky broadband i have never regreted using sky max as it was unlimited as it is now no limits on downloads no throtling of speeds i have about 4 computers connected at any one time in my house with no problems what so ever apart from the poor wireless signal from the supplied router but i enhanced the signal with my old router