Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New customer tv tel and broadband.

This is a discussion on New customer tv tel and broadband. within the Sky Broadband forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; I am a new customer. I was into Tesco recently and spoke to a girl there selling Sky subs but ...

BenedictArnold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fyvie
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

New customer tv tel and broadband.

I am a new customer.

I was into Tesco recently and spoke to a girl there selling Sky subs but although she gave me a brochure I'm still a little unsure of the deals.

I have a BT tel line which is not active.
      I cancelled my landline service with BT two years ago so have no dialtone.

I'd like Sky tel line rental and Skytalk,I'd like HD tv box and dish installed,I'd like broadband but my local tel exchange is out in the sticks so only has BT equipment installed so would need to get Sky Connect for my internet.

I am about 5km from the exchange as my line goes round the fields and houses.

Will I get a decent broadband speed ?

What are the installation costs for line reactivation,installing equipment and installing broadband ?

Thanks.

Everyday I'm learning more and more about less and less and eventually I'll know absolutely everything about nothing.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: New customer tv tel and broadband.

Will I get a decent broadband speed ?
      In a word NO. See the various posts complaining about Connect. This one in particular -
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...ect-users.html
      From this you will see that Connect is the last broadband package you should consider.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

OK thanks for that.
      Last edited by Isitme; 09-05-10 at 09:04 PM.

Everyday I'm learning more and more about less and less and eventually I'll know absolutely everything about nothing.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I thought someone may have added more about the TV and phone. I would advise you to sign up for the TV online, there are excellent bargains at the moment. I would not sign up in a mall or shopping centre. The sellers there are on commission and the more they can sell you at the most cost, the more they make.
      With regards the phone, you would be better going to BT for the Rental as this will allow you to get almost any ISP with no problems about who owns the line. Complications can arise when you take rental with Sky. As they do not have their equipment in your exchange, if you took rental from them you would still have a BT line, but all ISPs don't see it that way. Plus if you take rental with Sky you have to agree that your line is switched to their equipment should they ever upgrade the exchange.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for that.

I'm not a great lover of BT but I do realise that with a BT line you can use any supplier for internet and also if you want to make calls with 1899 etc and other companies who do cheaper phone calls.

I've also thought about Post Office home tel as they are only a monthly contract for phone and you get free weekend calls to mobiles whereas BT tie you in for a long contract.

I liked the fact that with Sky the fee was quite reasonable to reconnect the phone line.

To be fair I'm not a big tv viewer so maybe taking a sub with them when I can't get the good deals for internet with Sky and have to use their Connect 17 monthly deal isn't the best deal for me.

I'm having to use mobile broadband and it's only a 2G area so it's pretty awful.

When you live out in the sticks it has it's pitfalls.