Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I have joined Sky mistake??

This is a discussion on I have joined Sky mistake?? within the Sky Broadband forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; Hi Guys, Great site and you seem a friendly bunch so go easy on me if this is old news ...

masterintoo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have joined Sky mistake??

Hi Guys,

Great site and you seem a friendly bunch so go easy on me if this is old news I had been on Virgin for 3 years and decided after their poor customer service to join Sky. The problems I am having is that somebody else seems to be using my internet connection? On the IP logs it seems to be allowing somebody else access to my connection? I have got the DG834GT and after looking online it seems that these are easily hackable no matter what the WPA key is set to? Is this correct and what safeguards can I do to remove these risks? I am not computer savvy so any help you can give will be appreciated. I have looked into this hack and tried it once on my sky connection to see how easy it is and it was so easy. I gained access within minutes (and that is by somebody who hasn't a clue about connections) I am not happy at all about this I have unplugged my internet until I find a safeguard. Should I have stayed with Virginmedia as I was never hacked when with them. I have got the software hack if anybody needs to look at it to see if there are any cures for this hack.

Thanks for your time and help

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: I have joined Sky mistake??

Setup your wireless to allow access to trusted pc's only.
      Router home page 192.168.0.1, login = admin, password = sky.
      Click wireless settings, setup access list, check tickbox for turn on access control then you should see a list of the wireless devices accessing your wireless. Check the ones that are yours and click add then apply.
      From now on only those pc's will have access. You can add/delete them as you wish.

masterintoo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You sir are a life saver Why the hell couldn't sky tell me that? I am just glad that I can surf without having to share my connection with other users.. Thanks again mate. Are sky aware of this problem with this hack? It didn't seem like they were when I spoke to them.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I'm pretty sure it was one of the members here, James67, who identified this flaw.
      The staff here did make Sky aware of the problem but I think it fell on deaf ears.
      Probably because were moving on to the V2 routers that dont suffer from it.
      Good job Skyuser exists for all us V1 users

GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

welcome to the site

TBH, I'm surprised you have been issued with an 834GT?? I would have thought all new connections that receive Netgear Routers would get the (black) 934...

Sky enable security on the routers as standard, and it should have had a network name and access key on the sticker underneath....

Mike

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Are you actually using wireless? Strange as it may seem the most secure wireless router is one with the wireless switched off

If you are using wireless, then change the SSID and default security key of the router. Make the key as strong as possible using completely random characters. Use WPA with something like 'Olw2?BeL{2$kLdM' you can use from 8 to 63 characters, obviously the more you use, the more secure it is.

EDIT - I have just notice this in your post
      I have got the DG834GT and after looking online it seems that these are easily hackable no matter what the WPA key is set to?
      Where did you see this? The Netgear with a proper WPA key inserted is no less secure than any other router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.