Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Instructions for setting up VPN rules on the Sky Router Netgear DG834G

This is a discussion on Instructions for setting up VPN rules on the Sky Router Netgear DG834G within the Sky Broadband Tutorial section forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My VPN connection to work was working fine through Sky Broadband until Windows Update downloaded an updated version of Remote ...

Wine Gum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wickford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Re: Instructions for setting up VPN rules on the Sky Router Netgear DG834G

My VPN connection to work was working fine through Sky Broadband until Windows Update downloaded an updated version of Remote Desktop Connection. The VPN still connects to the server at work but as soon as I attempt to connect to my PC at work using Remote Desktop it kills the Broadband connection at the router

2. Advertisement
      amirlatif is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: mrrus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had absolutely no joy trying to get my Netgear router to follow any rules I try and set up for it, VPN, HTTP, VNC are all ignored try as I might to convince it. Followed all the tutorials but it just refuses to acknowledge them.

So, I've hooked up my old router that I'm familiar with, got HTTP, FTP, VNC forwarding ports nicely but VPN is still refusing to work.

I keep getting an "800 error" when I try to connect to my workplace, who have verified my user/pass for me. When I rang and spoke to the Sky tier 3 engineer, he said suprisingly that: "Yeah, VPN is not supported".

Really?!? I can't believe that a) because it's unacceptable for me to work without VPN and b) because plenty of you guys on here have been able to get it working.

What's the real score? Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that I won't be able to get my VPN working.

Really, really, really need some help on this one. Thanks in advance.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You haven't got a software firewall on as well have you, try disabling it briefly to see if it makes a difference.

Also, as a heads up, when you ring Sky don't tell them you need the BB for work reasons as it against their t and c's and they may terminate your connection.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

jonny1st is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'd look into the terms and conditions if I were u. I know to the end user this may be home use but it could be considered as using ur internet connection for business. The best people to talk to about this would be netgear since it is their router. If u try all their advice and still no joy get back to me.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Absolutely no joy with the router - can't get it to listen to any of my firewall rules, and I do know what I'm doing.

So ... I switched to my old dlink router that I know well. Never needed any VPN rules with that. Same thing.

I can't live without VPN. I'd like to say it's been fun but that would be a lie. No VPN, horrendous ping times for games, I'll be migrating asap.

Thanks for the advice though guys.

Good luck.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@garryprior: Long shot (as I don't have much info to go by here), but you might ask your work people to enable nat-t.

@Wine Gum: Weird. I can't imagine how the new RDP protocol can cause the router to lose its connection. (I use the new RDP client without any problems.) BTW, you do mean DG834GT don't you?

@amirlatif: I'm glad you know what you're doing, because I'm about to ask some questions. Firstly, I can say that VPNs can be created through the firewall (I use them). Can you explain where the VPN client and servers are in relation to the Sky router? Also, which VPN client are you using and which VPN server is it connecting to?
      Last edited by mossywell; 01-02-07 at 07:53 PM.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

douglas.w is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stirling
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

...must admit that im finding it reassuring that its not just me thats been having major problems with setting up a VPN with their office thru netgear and sky... i just discovered and reg'd with this forum tonight, so hopefully ive followed the instructions (properly!!), and ill test the new settings as soon as i can. technology's no fun at all when it beats you!!!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey Mossywell,

Home PC (using windows dun vpn client) -> sky router -> Sky network
      -> pptp VPN server

(also tried my old linksys router)

Moot point now, attempting to migrate out of Sky.

amir.

douglas.w is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stirling
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

..thought id followed all the instructions to the letter... but still no VPN - i was getting a connection, but then still couldnt see the network i was connecting to. checked with sky.. VPN not supported.

is there a definitive stance on all this (other than the sky one!!!) - an IT guy i know who set up my office router doesnt see any other reason (other than the reason that im sitting in front of a mac!) apart from sky blocking the service?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The only solution I have come up with is to migrate to another provider. I've only been with them for a couple of months and they let me out of the contract. Or at leasst, they haven't *said* they're going to penalise me any way. That would suck if they continue to take them money out of my account.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast