Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree3Likes

How to remove the ring wire from your master socket

This is a discussion on How to remove the ring wire from your master socket within the Sky Broadband Tutorial section forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Craig, you only need 2 and 5 connected. If you are confident, take the green wire out of pin 3 ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: How to remove the ring wire from your master socket

Craig, you only need 2 and 5 connected.

If you are confident, take the green wire out of pin 3 but be careful you don't dislodge the others .
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      craigbrown79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

the green wire is the bell wire is it??

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craigbrown79 View Post
      the green wire is the bell wire is it??
      Looks like it to me, you only need 2 and 5 connected to make a phone work.

Removing it should not do any harm.

Sky User - How to remove the ring wire from your master socket
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

yep looks like green one like NR says.... you can always pop back in if extensions stop working

@ fuzzy_logic - so its because there no signal down wires 3 & 4 (are not active?) means they cant reflect noise with the twists..is that right? , because there is signal down 2 & 5 means it can reflect noise...? something like that anyway...lol am glad thats cleared up!

still, you can get dodgy or defective extension wiring that could be raising the Line Attenuation (and lowering sync) as ive seen a few people on other websites with this and filtered faceplate solved the problem (and ringwire problem while at it) - also, some people seem to think certain filtered faceplates have better filtering... I know when razpag from DSLzoneUK (a BTo engineer) sent me an Openreach one I got extra 400k out of my sync (only a small amount compared to sync rate but still extra) I had no extensions / ringwire so was not that.

all NTE5 master sockets fitted after 2007 have bellwire inductor included too

this is one I have: http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BTNTE...plate6way.html
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Filtered Faceplate VS Ringwire Removal

@ Fuzzy_Logic and NewsreadeR - I have had it confirmed that extension wiring itself can also pick up interference (just as i said) and therefore the ringwire is not the "only" wire to pick up noise, it's just more prone to it than 2&5 as its not part of a balanced pair (there is no return signal cancelling out the noise) which is what you said about wire 3,4 Fuzzy_logic - twisting the wires does not work 100% as the actual twists are never 100% perfect , as twist on wire 2 is nearly always in slightly different position to the twist on wire 5 and therefore picks up a slightly different interference signal to each other and therefore do not cancel each other out - twisting just gives better protection from noise but does not cancel it completely - therefore a Filtered Faceplate offers better protection than simply removing the ringwire - which is what Ive been saying all along
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

therefore a Filtered Faceplate offers better protection than simply removing the ringwire - which is what Ive been saying all along
      Maybe it does, but those who have poor speeds and then remove the ring wire, could possibly attain a better speed.

Just the same as adding a filtered faceplate could also possibly attain a better speed.

My point being, if you remove the ring wire and get a better speed, then there was interference affecting your line. If you remove the ring wire and no increase, it is highly unlikely a filtered faceplate would actually help. So why go and buy one?

There is no right or wrong answer. Some people it works for, others it doesn't.

As our friendly meerkats would say, simplez.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The length of phone extensions in my (/most peoples) house is tiny compared to the length of the twisted pair cable between my(/their) house and the exchange, so even allowing for the electrically noisy household environment, I wouldn't expect much of an effect from a few extra meters of correctly wired twisted pair, if no ring wire is connected.

One potential issue I've seen raised is from reflections from extension wiring, which could affect higher frequencies used by adsl2+ and VDSL more.

I've got 20 - 30 meters of twisted pair phone extensions including several spurs, running all around the house, I removed the ring wire back when only fixed rate adsl was available, so I didn't see any change in sync speed, but the SNR did shoot up, and the error counts went down so much that I was getting far fewer errors in a whole month, than I was previously getting every hour.

I further tested, both then, and also since getting ADSL max, with a modem in the test socket connected directly with a short modem cable (no filter or phone or extensions), with a filter and phone at the master with/without extensions connected, and the modem at the furthest end of my extensions, to judge how much of an affect the extensions had on my connection. The only discernible difference I could detect was when I had a modem connected via a second adslfilter, rather than the modem lead, and that was tiny - probably some defect with the second filter.

These days, thanks to a set of DECT phones, I have most of my extensions unplugged, and prior to that I upgraded the phone extensions with CAt5e whilst extending my lan, and a section of that is now retasked to carry two extra ethernet connections.
      NewsreadeR likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123