Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky WiFi Speed Issues - any help appreciated!

This is a discussion on Sky WiFi Speed Issues - any help appreciated! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I'm new here and having had a read of teh forum I'm still bewildered by my issue! I'm ...

iball123456 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky WiFi Speed Issues - any help appreciated!

Hi All,

I'm new here and having had a read of teh forum I'm still bewildered by my issue! I'm really hoping you can help me, I love technology but am lacking some of the basic knowledge, which may be why I'm in a mess! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have Sky Broadband superfast and every test i do indicates the speed coming into the house is fine. The problem appears to start once the broadband gets in the house. I have the latest Sky router, a Sky Q silver box and 3 Sky Q minis.

I also have LOADS of wifi connected things such as Sonos (18 sonos products i think), 20+ wifi plugs, weather station, doorbell cameras and chimes plus a myriad of TVs, playstations, ipads and iphones. I'm very aware the sheer number of devices connected to my router is what is causing my problem. However, I'm reluctant to switch any of them off or change the home setup, it all works really well (albeit very slowly!). I think there are c. 60 devices connected at any one time.

We also have outbuildings with TVs and Sonos products in them so range is a bit of an issue too. We have a couple of dead spots in the house and some of the wifi cameras furthest from the router drop out regularly and when they do connect it's very slow.

I thought the answer might be to add some wi-fi boosters (i added 4 Netgear EX6410 boosters) this really helped with the dead spots and meant all the cameras stayed connected. However, I subsequently discovered Sonos didn't like extenders and neither does Sky Q. The speeds when phones etc connected to the booster were incredibly slow and there was lots of drop outs/lost connections as devices transferred from extender to router etc.

I thought it might be best to add a mesh system instead of the extenders (the extenders are all now off again) and after research ordered a Google nest wifi router with 2 satellites (it arrives tomorrow) but i understand this may not actually work with the Sky router and it also causes issues with Sonos (both of which i read after ordering!). I've also got a Netgear Orbi Ultimate system coming, but I have no idea if this will work any better or not.

I've subsequently ordered and ASUS DSL AC68U router which also arrives tomorrow which I was planning to use to replace the sky router, but again i understand it will cause issues with Sky mini boxes possibly and also it doesn't allow the phone to plug in (we have one of Sky's new internet phone numbers.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, I'm at my wits end and I can't take my children complaining anymore about the slow wifi (first world problems, i've told them to be grateful they have internet full stop!)

Thank you so much in advance.

Iain

PS I have Sky broadband boost as well but i have no idea what this does or how it is supposed to help. Generally when i do a speed test we're lucky to get over 8mpbs (yes 8, the line coming in says it's capable of 72mbps).

2. Advertisement
      sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky WiFi Speed Issues - any help appreciated!

Sorry but it sounds to me you need to change network provider because the stuff you are running is overloading the main router.
      I am not very good at sorting routers out but we have had problems just with the wifi it is really bad in our house so we have now decided to move to virginmedia and signed up to the 300mbps and hoping there wifi is better.
      to me it sounds like you need VM speeds to sort your problem out.
      We have the Sky q router 2nd generation we have had extenders for the wifi but we had to keep turning them off and on every few days the only thing i have running now is a switcher which runs fine because like yourself i have a few bits running just normal stuff like 3 computers, phones, printer, xbox, a bit of Netflix, amazon prime films thats about it.
      Last edited by sdd; 07-06-20 at 11:32 PM.

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky WiFi Speed Issues - any help appreciated!

As your telephone service is through your Sky hub replacing it with a third party router is not currently a feasible option.

Unlike the earlier Sky Q hubs which only had two Ethernet ports you have the luxury of four. Are you making any use of them?
      My suggestion would be to connect your main Sky Q box using cat 5E network cable and to use two of the remaining ports to supply Wi-Fi access points (APs) which will give better performance than Wi-Fi extenders (though not sure how well SkyQ minis will work with them).

If running cables is a problem the longest could be replaced with a pair of Powerline adaptors. Although some of them incorporate a Wi-Fi AP unless you have a socket outlet in the optimal position for an AP I would use standard Powerline adaptors and a separate AP.