Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittent Broadband issues ever since switching to Sky Q

This is a discussion on Intermittent Broadband issues ever since switching to Sky Q within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm experiencing intermittent connection issues this last few months. We had zero issues with our old sky router, but ever ...

jeemish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Intermittent Broadband issues ever since switching to Sky Q

I'm experiencing intermittent connection issues this last few months. We had zero issues with our old sky router, but ever since switching to Sky Q we've had a number of problems. Throughout the day I'm experiencing points at random where the internet will be painfully slow or disconnect entirely, sometimes for minutes at a time. As an example, at the moment I just sent a message on microsoft teams which normally shows as "sent" immediately, and it took 8 seconds to show as sent.

I posted my settings on the official Sky forum and was advised that my broadband signal is strong but that it's down to WiFi where the q router just isn't that great (wonderful!) I'm averse to now paying an extra fee (and being tied into an additional contract) for this Sky Boost thing with the new 4.2 hub. I expected the Sky Q hub to be better than the old router, not worse! So I have some other questions:

• I saw someone on another thread recommend splitting the SSID. I'm assuming this is just a case of unchecking "Synchronise 2.4ghz and 5ghz settings" in the router control panel under Wireless Settings? I did however read somewhere that this can cause issues with the Sky Q box, is this true if I leave the 2.4ghz name set as it was before? It was my partner we upgraded to Sky Q for and I'll get it in the ear if the telly/recording setup goes awry.
      • Is there anything else I can do here to speed things up? For example, I used to restrict access using MAC encryption. On the current setup we've just left it with the WPA2-PSK password. However I also notice it has "Enable WPS" checked on this router. Would switching that off potentially help, without introducing security issues?
      • Finally, I tried using a wifi analyser and I noticed something odd. My wifi shows up on band 6 (where I manually set it) and that's ideal because everything else nearby shows up on 11 or 1. However I also see another version of my ID on band 1. What would this be? For example, mine shows as "SKYD1B40 6" on channel 6, but I also see "SKYD1B40 1" on channel 1 where it has overlap with other networks.

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to read or reply!

2. Advertisement
      forevergroup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kidderminster
      Broadband ISP: Wholesale
      Router: Cisco Meraki
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Broadband issues ever since switching to Sky Q

If you don't need WPS by all means turn it off. It's usually only for connecting additional WiFi 'appliances' like repeaters/printers etc. Never for client devices like phones or laptops.

WPA2 is fine.

The secondary SSID you are showing on a different channel could be some kind of peer-to-peer connection, perhaps to another Sky box. Our shield TV box does the same thing. Very annoying.

It sounds like you, like many users, have simply outgrown cheap-built-in-router-WiFi. The only challenge with Sky is that they make things harder to change and of course you have the complication of streaming/Q.

Perhaps try a cheap home-WiFi solution like a 3-pack of those Tenda units from Currys and see if that solves your problem to satisfaction?