Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using Sky Hub SR102 in Modem mode + additional Router - Is this Possible?

This is a discussion on Using Sky Hub SR102 in Modem mode + additional Router - Is this Possible? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Sorry if this hasbeen asked before but I'm after some information on adding my own Router to mynew network ...

maxrebo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Superfast Broadband
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Using Sky Hub SR102 in Modem mode + additional Router - Is this Possible?

Hi,
      Sorry if this hasbeen asked before but I'm after some information on adding my own Router to mynew network and using this instead of the crappy Sky Netgear router I currentlyhave.

I've read on herethat sky donít let you do this? (or the functionality in my current routerdoesnít support this?) could someone confirm this.
      The router I`mlooking to buy is the DlinkDIR 2660

I would be lookingat using the current router in "modem mode".

My current setup is

Sky Q 2tb Box + 2Sky Q Mini Box`s
      Sky Hub SR102

Thanks in Advance

2. Advertisement
      skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Using Sky Hub SR102 in Modem mode + additional Router - Is this Possible?

Sky routers dont work in modem mode (bridge). You can use own kit but they wont offer support on your own device. Not familiar with the router you mention but whatever you go for it needs to support option 61 or it's not going to work.

If you want to use your own kit then I would suggest you get a modem + suitable router supporting option 61. Do check comparability before splashing out...

Asus routers are a good example of a router which will support option 61. You need a suitable modem and the router will need merlin firmware installed but this is very easy to do.

There are all in one devices (modem + router) which will support sky's requirements but you would need to investigate current known models from some of the posts found on the forum.
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats

click for Huawei VDSL line stats

maxrebo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Superfast Broadband
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyeci View Post
      Sky routers dont work in modem mode (bridge). You can use own kit but they wont offer support on your own device. Not familiar with the router you mention but whatever you go for it needs to support option 61 or it's not going to work.

If you want to use your own kit then I would suggest you get a modem + suitable router supporting option 61. Do check comparability before splashing out...

Asus routers are a good example of a router which will support option 61. You need a suitable modem and the router will need merlin firmware installed but this is very easy to do.

There are all in one devices (modem + router) which will support sky's requirements but you would need to investigate current known models from some of the posts found on the forum.
      I thought as much.

I've already bought the Dlink DIR 2660, Just looking to see if it supports DHCP option 61. Cant see any reference to it in the manual, I havent set it up yet so I will have a look though the settings.

Am I right in thinking that sky now will let me get hold of my username and password so i can input this into my new setup?

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You don't need one from them which they wont give you anyway.

If you have option 61 then you would use for example (anything works but must have the skydsl| format)
      1234567@skydsl|abcdefg
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats

click for Huawei VDSL line stats

DRCB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01376
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Cisco 1941 ISR, Aruba 3200XM & AP105.
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I have just swapped my Sky router (the SkyQ) one on Fibre woth a Cisco 1941 ISR, if you don't mind having to write the config then any of the VDSL models should work. Is your BB presented over DSL RJ11 or over ethernet to your home? I wouldn’t bother using the Sky router as a bridge, if you are gonna swap it, just cut it out of the equation totally