Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SR102 settings

This is a discussion on SR102 settings within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have a SR102R Router on my Non Fibre Internet attached to my Master phone socket using filter as ...

Davec1510 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01978
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

SR102 settings

Hi,
      I have a SR102R Router on my Non Fibre Internet attached to my Master phone socket using filter as supplied
      I have unlimited Broadband package with Sky.
      My Internet and Sky work fine at about 4.6Mbps

I have a Western Digital NAS 3TB attached to my router via Ethernet Cable.
      I can access this from within my Network the WDMyCloud device is showing connected on my router settings on 192.168.0.57

I have the apps on my iPhone and ipad, and can access all the contents of my drive on these units even when away from home.

I can't access the files from a Laptop PC NOT connected to my Network.

WD Support have been helpful, but are asking me about router settings, and this is why I have come to this forum.

They tell me I must have UPnP enabled and working (which I think it is according to my router settings)

They also say I need to use "Google public DNS".
      This has
      8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4. for Primary and secondary

How do I set the router so it uses the Google public DNS - it seems as if I can only use: www.dynDNS.org , www.noip.com , or DyNS main page
      My Sky hub page looks like this -

Can I set my router to use Google public DNS?

WD Support also say I need to have certain ports open. I am not sure which ports, and how to open them on the SR102

So:
      How can I open ports on the SR102?

How can I test if the required ports are open? (Canyouseeme.org rings a bell)

Any help appreciated
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: SR102 settings

You cannot set DNS servers on the Sky routers. This can only be done on the device,ie, PC. NAS, Phone or tablet. I doubt if this has anything to do with your problem.

You may have seen it, but have a look at this tutorial from WD - https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebas....aspx?ID=14244
      It seems you only have to have UPnP enabled, unless you are double NAT, which you are not, it is usually set by default, but check it in the router settings. You will find it under the Advanced tab, right at the end on the sub-menu.

If you do wish to forward ports have a look at Portforwardings guide. The Sky Sagem 2504n is virtually identical to the R102. - https://portforward.com/sagem/fast-2504n-sky/

Dynalic DNS is a different kettle of fish. It is used to keep your public IP address up to date and if you are using a Cloud service then I don't think it is required.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

OK Thanks Isitme,
      I have worked through the tutorial and set up Port Forwarding on my WD device.
      However - when I click on Http - Details, and Https - Details, It says Failed.

I Have UPnP enabled, and - as you say NOT double NAT....
      So, I tried it on my laptop connected to my phones hotspot... Still not connecting...Cloud Drive "Offline"
      I'm not going down the road of Dynamic DNS, so I'll have to look in the router settings and tackle port forwarding....
      It looks as if I will have to set up a static ip address for the device (although it seems to always be on 192.168.0.57)
      My printer is set on a static ip address, so will do the same for the WD (if I can remember how to), then tackle port forwarding
      However the guide on port forwarding looks a tad complicated, so may take me a few days (work has to be done!)
      Thanks

EDIT: The SR102R allows me to "reserve" an ip address (Advanced/Lan ip setup) - Have done this
      Last edited by Davec1510; 05-04-18 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks

Just a quick update on this - I'm not getting very far.

I have contacted both WD support, and Sky support (via FB messenger).

WD have told me that without google dns, I won't be able to access my files off line (Not sure how I can access them on my apple devices, but I can).
      Sky support have told me that I can't use Google DNS on my SR102 router, and can use no other make of router.

I do have UPnP enabled (WD have confirmed this via logs I have sent them)
      I do have the correct ports open, and enabled in the firewall.
      WD have enabled google dns on my cloud device.

Still I can't access my files from outside of my home netwaork.

It seems I have reached a complete dead end from both sides - unless anybody knows different.

Thanks

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

IP addresses in the range 192.168.xxx.xxx are not routable so you won't be able to access your NAS from outside your home network using this family of addresses. Use a service like https://whatismyipaddress.com/ to check the external address of your home network and use this address to access your NAS. Port forwarding will need to be set to forward incoming requests from your router to your NAS but this together with appropriate holes in your firewall should be set up automatically by your router, provided uPnP is active, while following the instructions to set up your NAS.

As you are unable to use Google's DNS you won't be able to address your NAS by name. You will have to use different IP addresses depending on whether you are connected to your home network or the wider Internet. As you do not have a static IP address there is always the possibility that your external IP address may change.

Thanks

If you don't want to use a DDNS then it looks like your best solution would be to get another router. This would allow you to choose whatever DNS you like. Sky allow the use of 3rd party routers on their ADSL service, which has been the case since Sky took over O2 broadband. Officially Sky still require you to use their router with Fibre, although many don't.

I have no problems accessing my LG NAS from anywhere using port forwarding with a DDNS.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Davec1510 View Post

I have the apps on my iPhone and ipad, and can access all the contents of my drive on these units even when away from home.
      Just re-read your original post. As you can access all the contents of your drive on your iPad & iPhone - even when away from home - your router must already be configured (firewall and port forwarding) to allow access to your NAS. You could always configure your laptop to use Googles DNS even though it will be set to obtain an IP address automatically using DHCP.

Thanks

Isitme - I contacted Sky Service support via FB messenger, and they have told me that I cant use a 3rd part router:

" .
      .Hi there you are speaking to Chris. Sorry about the delay. So we don't support 3rd party routers. If you connect it by Ethernet cable it should in theory work as a hub but I cannot guarantee it.
      "

(Not sure what the Ethernet bit was - my NAS drive is already connected to the SR102 via Ethernet)

seawright - I have set my Desktop to use google dns, but have not tried it on another network (which I could do by using my personal hotspot on my phone)
      I will try this, and also my laptop.
      (I used this - is this correct? - https://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how...-web-browsing/)

Thanks

Thanks

They will not support a 3rd party router, but they will not stop you using one. Hundreds if not thousands of Sky users are doing so. This is the relevant part of the T & Cs
      (j)
      If you wish to use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access Sky Broadband we cannot guarantee that ADSL Sky Broadband will work with these. You must not use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access Sky Fibre Broadband.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Hi,
      if I want to use a 3party router, what would I need?

i am on standard broadband (not fibre), and presumably need a adsl modem/router. I do have a couple of old ones, but presumably these would be too out of date now (both probably over 10 years old - a Netgear and a DLink from when I was with Virgin adsl)

newer options on s are probably a lot faster.

if memory serves, I need username (which sky need to give me ? And password ? )

are these available in my sky router router settings somewhere?

any advice as to a “good” router much appreciated...

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast