Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Downloads freeze on one website

This is a discussion on Downloads freeze on one website within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, A friend suggested I make a post on here because I'm getting absolutely nowhere with Sky technical support. ...

EasyTigrr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Elland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Downloads freeze on one website

Hi Guys,

A friend suggested I make a post on here because I'm getting absolutely nowhere with Sky technical support.

I've had this issue for about 6 months now (things were fine prior) and this is via Sky Fibre Unlimited. I purchase design assets from DesignCuts and they use an Amazon AWS server to host the files. On my home Sky Fibre connection, the connection repeatedly drops to 0kb/s then fails. This doesn't happen with other sites or large files via Dropbox for example.

This isn't an issue on my work's BT fibre connection - the files download with no problems. I've spoken to DesignCuts and they've said that they have 100,000+ customers who download their bundles worldwide and they rarely get anyone telling them they're having issues, particularly in the UK. They're also based in the UK and they don't experience problems.

Here are the things I've tried:

• Routers have been swapped (SR101 -> SR102)
      • Tried a different browser other than Chrome, and the same thing happens
      • Router has been reset several times
      • Speed tests have been run, and the speed is fine
      • Ping tests have been run and it comes back fine, except that when I ping that particular server I get timeouts regularly. Pinging the server at work produces no timeouts.
      • Sky cannot see an issue with the line after testing

Now I've been onto Sky technical the last few days, and the final straw (and why I'm here) has been when they came back at me with this beauty: "It may be that the works Fibre broadband is the BT superfast and thatis why." They also followed this up with "As all other sites are ok it is not an issue with the broadband." They also suggested that my work connection may go through a VPN and that's why it works.

I've tried getting them to escalate it to another team, but they still keep coming back to me with the same type of thing "I have spoken to our experts and also ran all the tests at my end and your getting the correct broadband speed. The issue you are having is site specific and not a service failing on Sky’s part. You could try contacting the website directly to see if they can support further. Your work broadband is for business use and will be faster than domestic broadband. I hope this helps."

Downloads freeze on one website-aws.jpg

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Downloads freeze on one website

Does the website in question resolve to the same IPV4 address from home and work? If not then try a different DNS nameserver (eg. 8.8.8.8).

If the IP addresses are the same then use traceroute to find the route from your home to that address, then use ping to each node along the route to find where the connection is failing. Ignore 100% packet loss especially where some replies are being received from further down the chain. This usually means that the node (router) in question is set up to reject ICMP requests.

EasyTigrr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Elland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 in an attempt to solve it too (forgot to mention that).

I've trace routed the same IP address (it does change around), but I can't see any hop which matches? :/

Incidentally, I've just hardwired my laptop into the router, after multiple fails over wireless and gave it a few minutes to fail.. which it didn't do. I've done a channel scan and found several routers from the neighbours on the same wireless channel - so I've swapped it to a different channel. The speed is still fluctuating wildly (2.5mb/s down to 14k/s and everything inbetween) - but it's not yet failed.

EDIT: It's now failed.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Downloads freeze on one website-work.jpg   Downloads freeze on one website-home.jpg  

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Thanks

what's your hardware setup. if you are using sky's router I would be inclined to use a 3rd party setup so you something to compare against such as seperate modem and router..

trace route on my setup was in about 16 hops
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6 now Zen ex Sky fibre pro
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats by pi3

click for Huawei VDSL line stats by pi3

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I don't use Sky as my ISP so cannot do a direct comparison.
      Using ping with a count of 100 gave:
      Code:
      --- s3-us-west-2-w.amazonaws.com ping statistics ---
      100 packets transmitted, 100 received, 0% packet loss, time 99125ms
      rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 178.081/183.732/197.735/3.947 ms
      so no packet loss.
      I also tried with httping:
      Code:
      http://s3-us-west-2-w.amazonaws.com/ ping statistics ---
      100 connects, 100 ok, 0.00% failed, time 138316ms
      round-trip min/avg/max = 360.9/383.0/648.1 ms
      Again no packet loss.
      Interestingly HTTPS pings failed but that may have been due to an SSL configuration problem.

I note that the server is in the USA yet you say that DesignCuts are based in the UK. Have you asked them whether they have a UK based download mirror?