Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Sky customers face higher bills from March

This is a discussion on Sky customers face higher bills from March within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Exclusive: Sky customers face higher bills from March as advert's small print reveals surprise line rental hike Sky customers face ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Sky customers face higher bills from March

Exclusive: Sky customers face higher bills from March as advert's small print reveals surprise line rental hike

Sky customers face higher line rental from March | Daily Mail Online
      • Sky phone and broadband customers will see their bills rise from 1 March
      • Details of price hike published in newspaper but customers not yet informed
      • The last time Sky pushed up prices was June 2016 for some of its TV packages

Sky is planning on another price hike for its customers with the cost of line rental due to rise on 1 March.

Details of the upcoming price rise were spotted in a Sky newspaper advert although the exact increase is yet to be announced and customers have not yet been told.

Sky last increased prices in June 2016 of a number of TV packages while its line rental has not changed since 1 December 2015.

Phone and broadband customers currently pay 17.40 per month or 208.80 a year for line rental.

Sky has told us it cannot confirm how much prices are rising by or which customers will be affected.

A spokesperson for the telecoms giant said: 'Whenever we review our pricing we work hard to keep any rises to a minimum. Any time we do introduce changes, we contact the relevant customers in advance to let them know.'

Usually when a line rental price hike is announced, existing customers who are in the middle of a contract are able to leave early without having to pay a penalty if they're not happy paying the increased cost.

To do this there is normally a 30-day window in which customers need to inform the provider in order to leave without paying the fee.

Ofcom states that customers are allowed to leave early if a provider hikes a broadband, phone or mobile contract mid-contract if the customer was not aware of the hike when they signed up.

However, even if customers were aware, it's still worth contacting Sky to tell it if you're not happy with the rise as it may be the case that you are still allowed to leave without paying a fee.

Price rises are common among the broadband providers but research from Ofcom shows that wholesale prices are actually falling. Since November 2010 wholesale costs have steadily dropped (as the table below shows) but providers have continually increased costs.

Sky last increased prices on June 1st for a number of customers with its TV packages. It said the average rise was 'less than 3 per month' but the exact increases depended on the package subscribed to.

It said the increase was made to raise money for further investment in 'content and customer experience' including shows on Sky Atlantic, the new Sky Sports Mix Channel and a new Sky Kids app for those with the Variety, Family and Sky Q bundles.

It last changed the price of line rental on 1 December 2015 increasing the price to 17.40, from 16.40.

EE is the last provider to announce a change to line rental costs, pushing up the price by an average of 1.50 per month to an average of up to 18.50 per month.
      Comment: I've just logged into my 'My Sky' page and can't see any price change at this time for the line rental on my account. This is for up until May.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky customers face higher bills from March

I am not surprised, nearly all the main providers have increased their rental cost. BT's basic rental is 18.99 a month but you can save about 10% paying up front.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Still nothing here.

I've raised this and will come back when I have some news. My guess would be that it'll go up by 1, but that is purely based on previous price changes.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

exbe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Still nothing here.

I've raised this and will come back when I have some news. My guess would be that it'll go up by 1, but that is purely based on previous price changes.
      Got email from sky two days ago - not 1 rise but 2.50 pm, and this on a standalone broadband contract, no line rental involved. Will be moving - can now get better for less elsewhere, obviously don't want me as a customer.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Wonder what retention offers are available from broadband cancellations?

Probably best to place an order with your preferred supplier before calling Sky. If they give you a better offer you can always cancel the order under the distance selling regulations provided it was placed over the phone or online.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Yes I've seen many who were paying 7.50 for their broadband have been told its going up to 10 as well as the line rental going up.

There have been many offers recently like half price line rental and free broadband deals that have been offered up front. None requiring a threat to leave.
      There was the free fibre broadband (well capped not unlimited) one for life a few months back, as long as you kept your sky TV. That was advertised on billboards and in the press.
      Perhaps a fool if you missed any of those.
      I have my line rental substantially reduced by half for a good few years, a five year deal that was offered without any effort on my last summer renewal.
      I also have a free broadband deal that was offered to me from an up front offer deal in early 2016, I thought that broadband deal ran out this year, but noticed the other day when reviewing my Sky Q contracts and they listed all your contract end dates it ends in Summer 2021.
      Nice thing is with both of those they were 12 month contracts but the deal continues.

I noticed too recently that the Sky stall guys in the high street often have existing customer deals chalked up.
      Saw one the other day with half price sports and movies for a new 12 month deal.
      May be worth asking them.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Well I got a letter from Sky yesterday saying my fibre broadband/line rental will go up by 1:59p. I don't have anything else other than line rental and broadband with sky. I wouldn't be going with anyone else because everyone else will probably be putting up their prices and, for me, Sky broadband has been second to none.
      lettice likes this.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

ATM Sky (with my deal) is much cheaper even with small rise. When (if) the letter/email comes I shall look and see if there's a better deal, if there is I shall exercise my right to cancel and switch.

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Why don't SKY notify SKY customers of SKY deals that they can get.
      Now that would be something - looking after your loyal customers properly!!
      speedyrite and Scubbie like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BurnIT View Post
      Why don't SKY notify SKY customers of SKY deals that they can get.
      Now that would be something - looking after your loyal customers properly!!
      They kind of do.

If you log into your My Sky account and click the 'Offers' link in the drop down menu you'll see lots of upgrade offers.

Sadly they don't publicise potential discounts for existing customers.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast