Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Shonk

Exceptionally slow broadband with reasonable attenuation

This is a discussion on Exceptionally slow broadband with reasonable attenuation within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Thanks for setting up this wonderful forum - my parents are currently experiencing exceptionally slow broadband, my knowledge of ...

anthonyshapley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Devon
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exceptionally slow broadband with reasonable attenuation

Hi,

Thanks for setting up this wonderful forum - my parents are currently experiencing exceptionally slow broadband, my knowledge of ADSL technicals is limited (I'm a cable man!) however from what I've ready online this morning they have an exceptionally noisy line..

I wondered if this could be considered a fault, or whether they should just put up with it? Below is a screenshot from the router statistics, and a broadband speed test from speedtest.net. This is a fairly typical speed for them to receive.

Exceptionally slow broadband with reasonable attenuation-screen-shot-2016-12-27-12.55.20.jpg

Exceptionally slow broadband with reasonable attenuation-screen-shot-2016-12-27-13.02.50.jpg

Thanks in advanced for any advice, will gladly follow up if anyone can help diagnose the issues.

Ant

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Exceptionally slow broadband with reasonable attenuation

It could be a noisy line, but first try rebooting the router. Your noise margins are high, especially the upstream, you should get more than double the speeds you have. If a reboot does not bring the speed back up you will have to call Sky. Before you do, plug the router into the Test socket as they usually request this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

anthonyshapley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Devon
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It could be a noisy line, but first try rebooting the router. Your noise margins are high, especially the upstream, you should get more than double the speeds you have. If a reboot does not bring the speed back up you will have to call Sky. Before you do, plug the router into the Test socket as they usually request this.
      Hi

Thanks for the quick reply, we have of course tried switching the router on and off, many times - we currently don't have a test socket, just wanted a sanity check that, this upstream was likely the issue. Would the bad upstream noise cause slow download speeds as well?

Is there anything else we should look at to try and improve broadband performance?

Thanks

Thanks

The lack of a test socket if unfortunate, so can you remove everything you have connected to the phone circuit, including STBs with only the router connected to filter, reboot it and check the stats. I suggested rebooting the router as your stats show it has been up for over 11 days. If you can reboot and see what the stats show.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gmangt4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Also if tested on wireless connection do a wired speedtest via a wired connection and not wireless.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmangt4 View Post
      Also if tested on wireless connection do a wired speedtest via a wired connection and not wireless.
      That's fine for a speed test, but it does not matter whether you use ethernet or wireless for checking the stats

TomD

Useful Utilites

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

looks like sky connect to me 8128 448
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Slap my head!!! You are dead right Shonk, I don't know how I missed that. My only excuse is Connect problems haven't come up for a long time. Sky have now discontinued it and it is only available as a legacy product.

In view of that your parents should call Sky and ask them if Fibre is available as they are getting the maximum possible with Connect. It is much faster and will not cost much more, if at all, than Connect. If Sky can do nothing for them then they should look around for another provider, LLU if possible.

TomD

Useful Utilites