Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Superfast Speeds

This is a discussion on Sky Superfast Speeds within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just upgraded from Sky Broadband Essential to Superfast, and here are my router statistics:- I'm about 200m away from ...

Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Superfast Speeds

I've just upgraded from Sky Broadband Essential to Superfast, and here are my router statistics:-

Sky Superfast Speeds-stats.jpg

I'm about 200m away from the cabinet (as the crow flies!), so are these speeds around where I should expect? To be honest, I was expecting a few Mbs higher download and double the upload speed. I'm also using an old SR102 hub which I was sent when I was on Sky Fibre in a previous house. Sky sent me a new hub this week (I assume a SKYQ). Would installing the new hub be likely to make an appreciable speed difference?

What precipitated my upgrade to Superfast was a speed drop just before Xmas. I've been on ADSL for about 5 years with the speed stable at about 15Mbs. About a week before Christmas, downloads speeds dropped suddenly to about 6Mbs and then stayed there for about 3 weeks. I reported the issue to Sky via the app, and they seemed to think there was a line fault. So I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and upgrade to Superfast and get them to resolve the issue at the same time. About a week before the switch the download speed started to drift back upwards on its own (about 1Mbs per day) until it was back to about 13Mbs the day before. Is this likely to actually be a line fault (which could be slightly suppressing my speeds now) or something else? Something similar happened to me about 10 years ago at another previous house where speed fell to about 40% of the norm for a few weeks and then recovered with no intervention? Water in the cabinet slowly drying out, maybe!?

One final question. I now have 3 figures in the Line Attenuation and Noise Margin sections, when I've only ever had 1 before. What's the reason for this?

Thanks for any help.
      Last edited by Jaheira; 23-01-21 at 07:40 AM.

2. Advertisement
      skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Thanks

Re: Sky Superfast Speeds

I think if your line attenuation is being reported correctly then things seems a little low especially on your upload.

I know 2 lines are never the same but I have 2 lines I use in 2 different locations, one on huawei and the other on an eci cab. The eci line is longer than yours and if the reported LA is correct from your sky modem it outperforms your line especially on the upload. My eci line with LA at 14.9 runs 65/20. The other shorter line at 13.8 is at 76/20 (on Huawei with g.inp enabled).

You can see my 2 line live stats from the links in my signature. Again no 2 lines are the same but your upload seems way off if your line is actually at 13.4

I would check on CodeLook (telecom-tariffs.co.uk) to get an approx line length and have a look at BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) to see what it thinks you should be getting. Even the address checker option for my line is fairly accurate.

Be interested to see what those results come back as..
      There could be a number of reasons.. who knows. Duff port?, Line fault, incorrect line length being reported, cross talk ( cant do much about that), assume you aren't using some massive extension from the master socket?.. internal wiring issue etc...

I would check the approx line length first and establish what bt checker thinks you should be on then perhaps go back to sky asking for line tests if things seem way off.

You could also test your at your master socket with the test socket and without other devices connected etc to check the sync speeds if you haven't done that.

the 3 values for LA and noise margin are reported as shown.

Sky Superfast Speeds-att.jpg
      Last edited by skyeci; 23-01-21 at 12:19 PM.
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6 now Zen ex Sky fibre pro
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats by pi3

click for Huawei VDSL line stats by pi3

Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: Sky Superfast Speeds

Thanks for the reply, and sorry about the delay......had a myriad of family issues to deal with recently!

The router is now connecting at about 73/8. Seems like the training period has taken the download speed up considerably, but upload is still a little slow. I'm moving home soon and don't upload much to the internet (since I don't bother with social media), so I can live with this!