Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q Router + ASUS RT-N56U + IPv6

This is a discussion on Sky Q Router + ASUS RT-N56U + IPv6 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Iíve currently got the Sky router setup with WiFi disabled and my RT-N56U connected by Ethernet which runs the WiFi. ...

chrisml is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Q Router + ASUS RT-N56U + IPv6

Iíve currently got the Sky router setup with WiFi disabled and my RT-N56U connected by Ethernet which runs the WiFi. I do this so I can do more things (Edit DNS, Static IPs, etc). I donít have a modem to use the router standalone. My issue is that I can see IPv6 working on the Sky hub and Iíve enabled Native IPv6 on the ASUS, but when I run IPv6 tests online they say I donít have an IPv6 address. My devices seem to get fd85 addresses which I think are internal? Just wondered if anyone had any advice? Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      det
      det is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky FTTH
      Router: Edgerouter ERLite-3
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q Router + ASUS RT-N56U + IPv6

Sounds like you've got the ASUS doing L3 routing as well (so double NAT with IPv4?). Sadly the Sky Hub doesn't support sub-delegation of IPv6 prefixes down to child routers within the home network, so you can't really make this topology work (without kludging it up with NAT66 on the ASUS).
      Even for IPv4 your setup like this is nasty, you're better off going one of two ways:

1) Use the Sky Hub as the L3 router doing all the DHCP/DNS etc. but disable Wifi and use a 3rd party Wifi AP (your ASUS) in layer2/bridge mode; or
      2) Bin the Sky Hub and replace it with a VDSL2 modem that can do layer2/bridge mode, and then you can do all your L3 fanciness on your ASUS. The Drayteks seem to be quite popular for this type of topology.

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Don't think that model supports merlin (would make it easier to configure for sky)..
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats

click for Huawei VDSL line stats

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
      Sounds like you've got the ASUS doing L3 routing as well (so double NAT with IPv4?). Sadly the Sky Hub doesn't support sub-delegation of IPv6 prefixes down to child routers within the home network, so you can't really make this topology work (without kludging it up with NAT66 on the ASUS).
      Even for IPv4 your setup like this is nasty, you're better off going one of two ways:

1) Use the Sky Hub as the L3 router doing all the DHCP/DNS etc. but disable Wifi and use a 3rd party Wifi AP (your ASUS) in layer2/bridge mode; or
      2) Bin the Sky Hub and replace it with a VDSL2 modem that can do layer2/bridge mode, and then you can do all your L3 fanciness on your ASUS. The Drayteks seem to be quite popular for this type of topology.
      Option 1 sounds like something that's doable now - I think all I'd have to do is set the ASUS to AP mode? Currently it's "wireless router mode". Would this mean I'd lose static IP assignment? Maybe I can do that on the Sky hub settings.

det
      det is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky FTTH
      Router: Edgerouter ERLite-3
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Does it have a "Wireless Bridge Mode" or "Wireless AP Mode" or similar? (What are the other options?)

And yeah, the Sky Hub can indeed do fixed/static DHCPv4 leases for LAN devices.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
      Does it have a "Wireless Bridge Mode" or "Wireless AP Mode" or similar? (What are the other options?)

And yeah, the Sky Hub can indeed do fixed/static DHCPv4 leases for LAN devices.
      AP mode and Router mode.

I've since ditched the ASUS and disabled DHCP on the ER115 and enabled DHCP on Pi-hole on my RPi4. Still don't seem to have an IPv6 address though.