Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poor wifi - Want to replace Sky Q hub - Complete Noob - Please Help!

This is a discussion on Poor wifi - Want to replace Sky Q hub - Complete Noob - Please Help! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys & gals, hoping someone can help a complete newbie lol I'm fairly technically proficient, I built and tinker ...

Spoonablehippo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Poor wifi - Want to replace Sky Q hub - Complete Noob - Please Help!

Hi guys & gals, hoping someone can help a complete newbie lol

I'm fairly technically proficient, I built and tinker with my own gaming PC etc and love tech & gadgets, but never really got into the "how it all works" on the internet side of things, so please bear with me

I have a Sky Q Hub (ER110) with sky fibre (FTTC).
      But the WiFi is slow and rubbish round certain parts of the house, so looking to replace the Sky Q hub or boost the WiFi.

My configuration is Sky Q Hub, with an Ethernet cable going into a Netgear GS108 Gigabit switch in the upstairs cupboard, which is fed through the house to Ethernet sockets in each room. (This all works perfectly).

My original though was that I could just disable the WiFi on the Sky Q hub, and plug in an Amazon eero WiFi router to one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the Sky Q Hub, as I used to run a similar configuration with an Apple Airport extreme a few years ago.

But after doing some reading, seems that wont work??

My problem is, I don't understand all the terminology or what it means! And I read problems with things like "Double NAT", "PPPoE", etc. but am clueless as to what that means, and the more I read, the more confused I'm getting

I also read it maybe better to replace the Sky Q hub entirely with a dedicated modem? (Draytek Vigor 130 seems to be a good choice) Could I just get that with the Amazon eero??

So yeah, help please!
      Last edited by Spoonablehippo; 22-04-20 at 10:47 AM.

2. Advertisement
      tarsins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanelli
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Poor wifi - Want to replace Sky Q hub - Complete Noob - Please Help!

I was using the TP-Link Archer VR900 as a replacement for the Q Hub. Great modem/router, easy to set up and good WiFi. I've since replaced it with the new Sky Q Hub 2 SR203 (which they sent because the OH recontracted and it included Boost) as it's very, very good - better WiFi than the VR900 IMO. Perhaps if you nag them they'll send one out.
      --
      Steve

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

so either get an all in one modem/router. Just make sure the device supports option 61/SKY etc or if you want to run separate devices then get a vdsl modem that works in bridge mode and again a router that will support option 61. e.g. asus running merlin sat behind your vdsl modem. Merlin very easy to configure for sky. There are of course other makes and models that may also work.
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats

click for Huawei VDSL line stats

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If it's just Wifi you're unhappy with try a set of mesh extenders like BT Whole Home or Google Wifi. Very easy to set up, just plug an ethernet cable into the hub and power up. On my old Sky Q setup I had 3 BT Whole Home using my regular wifi name and gave the Sky Q a different name so the Q box would still connect to it directly (probably unnecessary but it worked).