Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky hub and mesh network problems......

This is a discussion on Sky hub and mesh network problems...... within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; There is quite a lot about this on the internet and so it appears that sky may be a bit ...

Ronind is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky hub and mesh network problems......

There is quite a lot about this on the internet and so it appears that sky may be a bit behind the times. Mesh networks are bcoming more and more popular, I tried one and it improved the internet in my home greatly. The problem is Sky is a bit of a block to perfect mesh because of it's archaic practice regarding its modem/router setup.
      Put simply, it does not allow the hub to be set up in bridge mode so that the hub acts as the modem and the mesh system acts as the router. Yes, you can put the mesh into bridge mode and turn off the hub's wifi, but in doing so you lose most of the useful features of the mesh system. The deal situation is to use the mesh as the router and the hub as a modem. It follows that Sky could simply fix my problem by allowing bridge mode, they can give excuses but there is no really good reason they shouldn't.
      A second solution would be to allow a third party moden and router setup, but again Sky are not really helpful here as it is not straight forward to just connect your own equipment. Sky did not origianlly allow this anyway but i have read that since earlier this year they do. However Sky are really unhelpful in giving the information you need to do it, I phoned them up and they didn't have a clue, Kept giving me the password to get onto the settings web interface, which i explained i knew but wasn't what i meant by how do i get the information to connect my own modem and router. They eventually said it couldn't be done, despite it saying on the forums it could.
      Any way here i am, sorry for the rant, i'm not too happy with Sky. Like i said, ideally Sky would just let me use their hub and put it into bridge mode. Failing this does anyone know how i can use a different modem with my mesh system as the router?
      I also have my old BT openreach modem which i got from sky before they made the hub work without one. Can i just plug this in and then add any router i want? I have tried it and all of the lights go green but i cannot get the mesh router to work, I read to put it in PPPoE mode but it asks for username and password, which the Sky person on the phone did not understand. If the openreach modem connects to the Sky network then i assume it is doing the correct handshake and i should be able to use any router, does anyone have any comments or advice?
      Thank you for sticking with me if you have got this far.

2. Advertisement
      skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky hub and mesh network problems......

Quote Originally Posted by Ronind View Post
      There is quite a lot about this on the internet and so it appears that sky may be a bit behind the times. Mesh networks are bcoming more and more popular, I tried one and it improved the internet in my home greatly. The problem is Sky is a bit of a block to perfect mesh because of it's archaic practice regarding its modem/router setup.
      Put simply, it does not allow the hub to be set up in bridge mode so that the hub acts as the modem and the mesh system acts as the router. Yes, you can put the mesh into bridge mode and turn off the hub's wifi, but in doing so you lose most of the useful features of the mesh system. The deal situation is to use the mesh as the router and the hub as a modem. It follows that Sky could simply fix my problem by allowing bridge mode, they can give excuses but there is no really good reason they shouldn't.
      A second solution would be to allow a third party moden and router setup, but again Sky are not really helpful here as it is not straight forward to just connect your own equipment. Sky did not origianlly allow this anyway but i have read that since earlier this year they do. However Sky are really unhelpful in giving the information you need to do it, I phoned them up and they didn't have a clue, Kept giving me the password to get onto the settings web interface, which i explained i knew but wasn't what i meant by how do i get the information to connect my own modem and router. They eventually said it couldn't be done, despite it saying on the forums it could.
      Any way here i am, sorry for the rant, i'm not too happy with Sky. Like i said, ideally Sky would just let me use their hub and put it into bridge mode. Failing this does anyone know how i can use a different modem with my mesh system as the router?
      I also have my old BT openreach modem which i got from sky before they made the hub work without one. Can i just plug this in and then add any router i want? I have tried it and all of the lights go green but i cannot get the mesh router to work, I read to put it in PPPoE mode but it asks for username and password, which the Sky person on the phone did not understand. If the openreach modem connects to the Sky network then i assume it is doing the correct handshake and i should be able to use any router, does anyone have any comments or advice?
      Thank you for sticking with me if you have got this far.

So the sky router doesn't support bridge mode...

You can use your own modem and router provided your router will support option 61 under the wan config. Your own modem is not connecting to the sky network, at this stage its just syncing to the cab/openreach side. Your router will need to do the authentication. If you are using sky fibre then it does not work using ppoe. Your wan config will need to be IP and as I mentioned the ability to add for example anything@skydsl|anypassword as the option 61. If your router does not offer this option under your wan config its unlikely to work with sky fibre.

If you can provide perhaps a screen grab of the wan port config when "IP" or "automatic IP" has been selected then we can see if your router provides option 61 support. Asus routers running merlin provide this field for example.

I use my own modem in bridge mode and I run opnsense which fully supports both sky's IPV6 settings and the more importantly ability to add the required details for option 61 support..
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6 now Zen ex Sky fibre pro
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats by pi3

click for Huawei VDSL line stats by pi3

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'm beginning to think I can't do what I want. I had the linksys velop mesh WiFi system but when I used my Xbox I was getting double Nat. The only way round it was to put the velop in bridge mode, but I lost all the mesh features. I wanted to use it the other way with the hub in bridge, but as you said, sky don't allow it.
      I want the mesh node to be the router but can't find anything about option 61. I don't think mesh will work correctly then with sky. Sky should show that they are forward thinking by fixing this. I hope I am making sense.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note I have sent the velop back as a node was failing. I do want mesh as it really fixed my WiFi. I am currently looking at Netgear orbi or Google whole home WiFi, but of course I will have the same issues.

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Netgear router only devices can be tricky as they only work if having something like ddwrt installed so that you can add the "isp additional login details " aka option 61..
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6 now Zen ex Sky fibre pro
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats by pi3

click for Huawei VDSL line stats by pi3

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah, the more I look into this the more I think full mesh is not an option on sky.