Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

FTTP - no capacity

This is a discussion on FTTP - no capacity within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just (at the end of March) moved into a new build house. It had FTTP installed when built, although ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

FTTP - no capacity

I've just (at the end of March) moved into a new build house. It had FTTP installed when built, although ironically BTO didn't actually finish connecting it up until we chased them up - they were supposed to install and set it up in all the houses on the estate before they were moved into, but unsurprisingly when they knocked on the doors, no-one answered

As it was a new build, we had various special offers, one of which was to try Virgin free for three months. We've tried it, don't like it. Although the speed in theory is great, in practice it is less reliable than our previous FTTC speed with Sky at our old house, and the Virgin hub/router interferes with our Sky Q. Even the telephone provision is not as good, and more expensive, than Sky.

Anyway .. we finally managed to get BTO to complete the FTTP a fortnight ago. We have a whole load of new gubbins on the wall, which include green lights, and as soon as he flipped his switch, we showed up on the Openreach website as active. From there we were directed to three companies (one predictably being BT) where we could immediately order FTTP.

Our three free months with Virgin is nearly up (at the end of this month, I believe) after which point in time we need to either subscribe to a 12+ month contract or get a rolling monthly contract that costs the earth.

I therefore rang Sky asking if we could go back to them, on the new FTTP line. Apparently not. At the time they said that it takes up to two weeks for a new connection to show on their systems, and to ring back again in two weeks.

That was today. So I rang them back up. They still struggled to find me and eventually said that they simply could not offer me anything other than the basic broadband at up to 6Mb. They said that they "thought" it was because our exchange was at capacity and they couldn't take on any additional Sky Fibre customers unless someone left.

The guy I spoke to wasn't sure about this .. he didn't actually check the exchange .. it just sounded like he was making a guess and sticking with it. I explained the situation, and he just suggested I ring back next week and if there was still no joy, I'd have to go elsewhere and just hope that, when Sky did have space, the company I'd chosen to go with would put their prices up and I'd be able to break my contract with them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Thanks

Re: FTTP - no capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      I've just (at the end of March) moved into a new build house. It had FTTP installed when built, although ironically BTO didn't actually finish connecting it up until we chased them up - they were supposed to install and set it up in all the houses on the estate before they were moved into, but unsurprisingly when they knocked on the doors, no-one answered

As it was a new build, we had various special offers, one of which was to try Virgin free for three months. We've tried it, don't like it. Although the speed in theory is great, in practice it is less reliable than our previous FTTC speed with Sky at our old house, and the Virgin hub/router interferes with our Sky Q. Even the telephone provision is not as good, and more expensive, than Sky.

Anyway .. we finally managed to get BTO to complete the FTTP a fortnight ago. We have a whole load of new gubbins on the wall, which include green lights, and as soon as he flipped his switch, we showed up on the Openreach website as active. From there we were directed to three companies (one predictably being BT) where we could immediately order FTTP.

Our three free months with Virgin is nearly up (at the end of this month, I believe) after which point in time we need to either subscribe to a 12+ month contract or get a rolling monthly contract that costs the earth.

I therefore rang Sky asking if we could go back to them, on the new FTTP line. Apparently not. At the time they said that it takes up to two weeks for a new connection to show on their systems, and to ring back again in two weeks.

That was today. So I rang them back up. They still struggled to find me and eventually said that they simply could not offer me anything other than the basic broadband at up to 6Mb. They said that they "thought" it was because our exchange was at capacity and they couldn't take on any additional Sky Fibre customers unless someone left.

The guy I spoke to wasn't sure about this .. he didn't actually check the exchange .. it just sounded like he was making a guess and sticking with it. I explained the situation, and he just suggested I ring back next week and if there was still no joy, I'd have to go elsewhere and just hope that, when Sky did have space, the company I'd chosen to go with would put their prices up and I'd be able to break my contract with them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
      You're lucky Sky can offer ADSL.
      In most FTTP areas Sky cannot offer any broadband services.

FTTP sounds great but you are severely limited on your ISP choices - you can only go with BT, Zen or Andrews & Arnold. These are the only 3 providers selling FTTP broadband on the Openreach network in the UK currently. None of them is cheap BTW.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

Hmm .. so basically regardless of when I ring, Sky are unable to provide me with fibre broadband access because I have FTTP instead of FTTC? The Sky guy never mentioned that at all.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Sadly this is the case.

Recently I raised the question but I've not received a response which would confirm if this is something that Sky will support at some date. I'm sure that they will within the next 10-20 years, but at this time it's not happening.

Speed wise FTTP can be great. BTO's current offering is up to 330 down and 50 up. Previously it was 30 up.

Cost depends on a few things. Since most of the cabling has already been completed it may be relatively cheaper than if someone like myself wanted it.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (11-06-17)

Thanks

It was obviously naive of me to think that, as this is basically on BTO's network, Sky would also be able to support it. It was also a bit annoying that, through the various telephone conversations I had with Sky, they neglected to mention this.

"Luckily" I think I've given it just enough time - I've managed to order broadband through BT now which in theory should be getting installed/activated only days before my Virgin trial expires. But I'm not really happy using BT, or the fact that my options are so limited. I'm going for the Infinity 2 package which offers 75-80Mb download and 20 upload, as it's really the fastest I can justify paying for. The whole package is going to cost me 55 per month to put it on a par with the same sort of package I'd get with Sky, although for 10 per month more (for the first 12 months, rising after that).

If I'd wanted to go to the max with it, it would have cost an additional 20 per month, rising after 12 months by an additional 10 pm.