Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Asus RT-N66U Router setup with Sky Fibre Pro, also with open client vpn on in Asus router

This is a discussion on Asus RT-N66U Router setup with Sky Fibre Pro, also with open client vpn on in Asus router within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hiya Guys, Need some help i am a complete newbie at all this never had another router apart from what ...

subman1985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01395
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: sky SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Asus RT-N66U Router setup with Sky Fibre Pro, also with open client vpn on in Asus router

Hiya Guys,

Need some help i am a complete newbie at all this never had another router apart from what sky have provided. I currently have sky fibre pro SR102 and want to setup my Asus RT-N66U router up with the open vpn client in use i have a VPN service with Nordvpn. Can someone go through a step by step guide on how to get the Asus up and running with the Sky router so there are no conflicts and the vpn running so i dont have any issues. I would like to use the Asus for wireless connections and cabled as i have several devices i use for plex and kodi which i want to have my vpn used for.

I have also read that i could ditch the sky router completely and just use the Asus RT-N66U for all of it, but i do worry i would lose a lot of speed due to having the Asus as the VPN router.

Any help and advice would be really appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      NathOnline26 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Asus RT-N66U Router setup with Sky Fibre Pro, also with open client vpn on in Asus router

I set up a Asus rd ac66u the other day. Used an open reach modem with it. Had to flash a firmware from Merlin's tower which would work with the router. Set it up fine. There are some Asus set up guides on this forum which is the same set up.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Asus RT-N66U Router setup with Sky Fibre Pro, also with open client vpn on in Asus router

seen some of the guides but dont know if i do them they will work with the vpn on it might clash. Will have a look again, was really interested in hearing more about maybe getting rid of the sky router if that would be better option.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh didn't notice any drops in speed and ping was abit faster. I took my router back to the shop though as upgraded to sky Q which the router is just as crap. Now using a couple BT home hubs In bridge mode. It is pretty straight forward though if you have abit of technical knowledge if I get back from work and your still struggling will try help.
      Also what is the gain of a vpn with Kodi? Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for advice yeah that would be great for some help as for VPN i want it on Kodi and my plex as Sky and other providers are clamping down on the whole piracy thing now, and trying to stop people streaming, as i read a few weeks ago.

Thanks

Thanks for advice yeah that would be great for some help as for VPN i want it on Kodi and my plex as Sky and other providers are clamping down on the whole piracy thing now, and trying to stop people streaming, as i read a few weeks ago. But my aim is to have sky hub still with wifi so devices that dont need vpn can connect but the asus as vpn router so i can hardwire it to certain devices and use it wifi for devices needing vpn. I have tried so far i have sky hub connected to asus to the blue wan connection and then asus connected to laptop through lan yellow on back of router. But not to sure of settings followed guide but i cant log back into asus router have to factory reset. i have setup open vpn client fine. firmware i am using is asus-wrt. Tried merlin but couldnt get vpn to connect.
      Last edited by subman1985; 11-04-17 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks

Something else I would like to know is if I got a bt modem and got the username and password for sky router and just used the rt-n66u would speeds be better even if I ran a vpn? And I know if I did this it's breaking sky's terms and conditions but how safe are you from being caught out by sky.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you want to use the sky hub for Wi-Fi normally and Asus for vpn surely you could just connect it as a bridge. You would have to connect Asus to laptop configure it then connect it to a lan of the sky router. You won't get any faster speed either way you do it I doubt very much.

Exchange:
      Thanks

@marjohn56 could you offer any help thanks