Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ER110 to OpenWRT?

This is a discussion on ER110 to OpenWRT? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I am new to Sky and wasn't aware of them using different a authentication method to most ISPs until ...

Callumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leabrooks
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

ER110 to OpenWRT?

Hello, I am new to Sky and wasn't aware of them using different a authentication method to most ISPs until reading into it today after receiving this ER110 "Sky Q Hub" with a 2 port switch on the back. What the hell?

I currently use a WR1043ND on BT with working IPv6, I would love to get the same setup on Sky if possible.

Is the procedure the same for the ER110 as with the SR102, or do I have to do something differently?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

2. Advertisement
      det
      det is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky FTTH
      Router: Edgerouter ERLite-3
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Re: ER110 to OpenWRT?

Your profile says Sky Fibre Max, so I'll assume that's what you're talking about here. (Sky Fibre uses IPoE, but the ADSL2+/LLU network uses PPPoA).

Authentication is done based on the line, not anything that's configured on your router. However there is something special that you have to do for your router to connect on Sky Fibre, and that's add something into the DHCPv4 Option 61 Client-ID field. Not all firmwares/routers will support the ability to manually specify this.

The exact values shouldn't matter anymore (you'll see old threads/instructions telling you to get user/passwords etc, you can safely ignore those). However, just to be safe, try and keep the format "foo@skydsl|bar" (note: the pipe char between skydsl and bar).

DHCPv6 doesn't require anything unique for Sky, just set it to ask for an IA_PD. (IA_NA is not supported, nor is rapid-commit)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to det For This Useful Post:

Callumpy (24-10-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
      Your profile says Sky Fibre Max, so I'll assume that's what you're talking about here. (Sky Fibre uses IPoE, but the ADSL2+/LLU network uses PPPoA).

Authentication is done based on the line, not anything that's configured on your router. However there is something special that you have to do for your router to connect on Sky Fibre, and that's add something into the DHCPv4 Option 61 Client-ID field. Not all firmwares/routers will support the ability to manually specify this.

The exact values shouldn't matter anymore (you'll see old threads/instructions telling you to get user/passwords etc, you can safely ignore those). However, just to be safe, try and keep the format "foo@skydsl|bar" (note: the pipe char between skydsl and bar).

DHCPv6 doesn't require anything unique for Sky, just set it to ask for an IA_PD. (IA_NA is not supported, nor is rapid-commit)
      Sorry about my lack of clarity, but yes, you assumed right that I am going to be using Sky Fibre Max.

Thank you for the great post, I'm glad I don't have to mess around getting usernames and passwords anymore! I'll look into adding those options into OpenWRT, I don't see why such a supported firmware wouldn't have them. As mentioned, I already have IPv6 from BT using prefix delegation, I guess the same settings should work for Sky providing I can get the v4 connection.

Thanks again.

det
      det is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky FTTH
      Router: Edgerouter ERLite-3
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

No problem, and good luck.

Yup, AFAIK BT do things very similar when it comes to IPv6. Stateful DHCPv6, /56 PD, link-local on the WAN.

Their enablement approach is a bit different though. BT have been enabling it BNG by BNG. Sky has a more granular approach enabling it line by line, although I believe that they've finished enablements, and all new orders are on by default.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to det For This Useful Post:

Callumpy (24-10-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
      No problem, and good luck.

Yup, AFAIK BT do things very similar when it comes to IPv6. Stateful DHCPv6, /56 PD, link-local on the WAN.

Their enablement approach is a bit different though. BT have been enabling it BNG by BNG. Sky has a more granular approach enabling it line by line, although I believe that they've finished enablements, and all new orders are on by default.
      That's good to hear. I found out about BT's approach when I went over to their forums to ask about my line being enabled. The general consensus is that the BRAS would randomly decide who gets an IPv6 delegation, sometimes if you re-sync you actually lose IPv6 all together.