Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Fibre In Rural Area (Local Cabinet Fibre Enabled)

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre In Rural Area (Local Cabinet Fibre Enabled) within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, We are looking to move to a house in a semi-rural area. We currently have Sky Unlimited Fibre at ...

dorsetdan72 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Fibre In Rural Area (Local Cabinet Fibre Enabled)

Hi,

We are looking to move to a house in a semi-rural area. We currently have Sky Unlimited Fibre at home at the moment - But I have noticed that when I check the post code for the new address, it says that although the cabinet that serves our line is Fibre Enabled, we may not be able to receive Fibre as our home will be too far away. I appreciate its not an accurate figure; but having determined where the cabinet is located (using the BT Open Reach website) -it is aprx 1.9miles 'up the road' .

When we viewed the house, I was able to connect to their Sky hub and do a test using the SpeedTest app on my phone, (again - I appreciate this is not gospel, but gives me an indication on like for like at home) and the download speed was 4.65Mbps and upload 0.68 .

Compared to Fibre, and with three kids all usually glued to some device connected to Wi-Fi, I am concerned this will not be good enough.

My question is, and forgive me if its a stupid one; is it possible I might still be able to stay connected to some form of Fibre connection, even if no-where as fast as we are used to at home? Even 10-15mpbs would be good, and a better upload speed?

Who, or what, is to decide when a home is too far from a cabinet to get Fibre?

I do not have a telephone number for the new house - so can only research speeds based on post code.

I would be grateful for any advice this forum can give.

Thank you in advance.

Dan

2. Advertisement
      gmangt4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre In Rural Area (Local Cabinet Fibre Enabled)

Have you tried the online address checker? Google "when can I get fibre" and enter the exact address rather than phone number and see.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Try the Bt wholesale availability checker, which is will show you what the premises is able to achieve;
      As mentioned above, use the address checker link

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi - Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, as I don't have a phone number I can only use the the post code and address option. Please see image below.

Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet. This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options. If you'd like us to let you know if fibre becomes available, register your details.

Use two fingers to move the map

Your fibre service is connected from this exchange.
      Exchange name: Bindon Abbey
      Exchange status: Fibre enabled
      Cabinet number: 1
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky Fibre In Rural Area (Local Cabinet Fibre Enabled)-sky3.jpg  

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi - Thanks , Yes - I have tried the 'when can I get fibre...' link - I only have a post code and address, no phone number. It gives the below response ...

Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet. This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options. If you'd like us to let you know if fibre becomes available, register your details.

I was able to do a speedtest while in the house as they currently have standard sky broadband - and the speeds where as per my first post.

What I was hoping however- is that I might still be able to get a Fibre connection even though they say our home is too far from the cabinet - an just accept the speed will not be as good as we get in our current home (20mbps) - I'd be happy with 10mbps!

Thank you again for all your advice.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

If BT are unable to offer you their Infinity service then Sky fibre will not be available.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

I'm assuming the property you are moving to is in Dorset, have you checked whether Wessex Internet can offer you broadband and if so whether it would be any faster than BT?