Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By lettice

End of tether!!!!

This is a discussion on End of tether!!!! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All looking for a bit of advice, My SR102 is basically pants and as such spoke with Sky two ...

QALHOMER is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01264
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky SR102 Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

End of tether!!!!

Hi All looking for a bit of advice, My SR102 is basically pants and as such spoke with Sky two weeks ago

As usual went through all the tests and its not the router blah. Blah . Blah!!!

They sent someone out to check the line and they confirmed absolutely nothing wrong there and as such nothing to be done from BT Open reach, he did fit me with a VDSL plate for good measure and said I should be seeing a download speed of 40-50 meg comfortably.

Just called them again now as for the last 2 weeks my average DL is 7 UL is 8 and Ping of 16

Load more testing and changing of channels to be told again the line is fine and something in my home must be impacting it!

Turned every socket in the place off and every mobile in the place off and DL was still no higher than 12

They don't think its the WIFI signal but I beg to differ as the amount of time we had to wait to do a speed test every time they asked was a joke.

I dont think in the whole house we are ever more than 20 feet away from the router

Connected vis cable and DL was 35 so no issues there so surely has to be the WIF??

After 30 mins of messing about they offered to send a new router but still an SR102 I told them that if it don't improve then they can be expecting another call and this time for the cancellations team.

At end of my tether on it now as its become a joke paying for a service that I cant use!

My son has had to get an additional data allowance on his phone as the signal upstairs is just so poor upstairs.

Tried signal boosters and had a mare trying to connect to SR102 despite following instructions so that went back.

And to cap it all call from Sky today asking did I want to upgrade to Sky Q which would never work with the above numbers!

So question is do I bite the bullet and Bin Sky or just go the "Own Router" way If my own router I would need something that would work straight out of the box so have been looking at Netgear Nighthawk....Any others I should lookat?

The last speed test below

Any Help ideas or thoughts happily rec'd

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Re: End of tether!!!!

That would have been sky offering you the Sky Q hub router, which is the new router that recently replaced the sr102.
      They were not offering you the sky q tv service.
      You can use and purchase the sky q hub router on sky adsl and fibre, but do not need to subscribe to the sky q tv service to own and use one.

How are you connecting up your router to your master socket may help better to diagnose?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      That would have been sky offering you the Sky Q hub router, which is the new router that recently replaced the sr102.
      They were not offering you the sky q tv service.
      You can use and purchase the sky q hub router on sky adsl and fibre, but do not need to subscribe to the sky q tv service to own and use one.

How are you connecting up your router to your master socket may help better to diagnose?
      No the phone call was earlier today from Sky trying to flog me Sky Q.

The router they are sending is definitely just the SR102 I could have had the new Q router but had to pay for it.

Connection is direct into my VDSL plate.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Sorry, just re read your first post and I missed where you mentioned using ethernet got you 35 mb download.
      I see sky have already asked you to change the wifi channel and hopefully a reboot.
      But can you let us know your neighbourhood and whether you could be affected by neighbours using the same channels.
      Always worth getting a wifi analyser app for your mobile/tablet. This will show you the neighbouring wifi channel congestion.
      A good one on Android is https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lyzer&hl=en_GB
      Use this for iOS http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/wirel...k-scanner.html

Also, where is your router within your house and is it located next to or very close by to a cordless phone, radiator, microwave oven or other electrical device?

You are connecting, but very slow, so does sound more like neighbouring channel congestion.
      Angel_Rex likes this.

Thanks

In the hall way moved Chanel to unused 11 and still DL is only 12

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

more things than just the channel affect wifi speeds.

what type of devices do you have?
      what wifi type is router set to? n/ac/g/b

I would expect 2.4ghz N to be faster than 10mbit but its definitely not a given.