Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q

This is a discussion on Sky Q within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thinking of upgrading to Sky Q for the 4K UHD sport. I currently use a Billion 8900AX as an all ...

kena is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ryhope, Sunderland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Q

Thinking of upgrading to Sky Q for the 4K UHD sport. I currently use a Billion 8900AX as an all in one modem/router instead of the Sky SR102 and BT Modem, which works very well.

If I upgrade to Sky Q will I still be able to use the Billion 8900AX for the fibre internet.
      Is the Sky Q box better than the SR102. Whenever I have to put the SR102 back in place of the Billion my speeds drop significantly.

Any help would be appreciated before I make a decision.

2. Advertisement
      The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q

If you use the Billion to replace the Sky hub you will not get the wifi hot spots but it should work via directly inputting the Billion password for Wi-Fi connection.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      If you use the Billion to replace the Sky hub you will not get the wifi hot spots but it should work via directly inputting the Billion password for Wi-Fi connection.
      Thanks.
      It's only a small house and I get a good wifi signal throughout even with the Sky SR102. We don't have any other TVs apart from the main one in the living room and I have a cat 6 cable ran from the location of the router to the TVs location for any internet connection.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Try it and see.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      Try it and see.
      The "mesh" network will probably be better than your existing router as you'll get the Sky Q Hub for free as long as you still have Sky broadband. As The Realist said above you can always try it then disable the mesh network if it doesn't work for you.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      The "mesh" network will probably be better than your existing router as you'll get the Sky Q Hub for free as long as you still have Sky broadband. As The Realist said above you can always try it then disable the mesh network if it doesn't work for you.
      What is this mesh network ??
      If I get Sky Q it will be similar to my Sky HD setup where I only have one TV connected to it via HDMI. There are no other TVs in the house. At present my billion maxes out my wifi signal. I get the same speeds as if the computer is hard wired to the router. I have Sky fibre broadband.
      Am I wrong in thinking that the Sky Q box replaces both my HD box and my SR102 router.

Thanks again for the replies

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Am I wrong in thinking that the Sky Q box replaces both my HD box and my SR102 router.
      Yes the Sky Q box and the Sky Q router are completely separate devices. Both can operate independently, but the Q box is said to work better in conjunction with a Sky Q router. The 'Mesh' network is a wireless network made possible with the use of the Sky Q box, Sky Q router and Mini boxes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Yes the Sky Q box and the Sky Q router are completely separate devices. Both can operate independently, but the Q box is said to work better in conjunction with a Sky Q router. The 'Mesh' network is a wireless network made possible with the use of the Sky Q box, Sky Q router and Mini boxes.
      Thanks for the info Isitme.
      I won't need the mesh as the SkyQ box would be hardwired to the router via my home LAN. The reason I am asking the questions is my sone is a heavy gamer over the internet and tends to use my fibre broadband to its limits. On the occasions where I have had to use the SR102 he states the speeds are not as fast as when the Billion is used. I am trying to make sure that the broadband speeds will be ok if I have to use a Sky router again.