Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Switched to Plusnet FTTC, could Sky do any better?

This is a discussion on Switched to Plusnet FTTC, could Sky do any better? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For many years I had Sky Talk and unlimited broadband ADSL . Download speed was a reliable 11Mbps and I ...

ray_dav is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01525
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: freesat
      Thanks

Switched to Plusnet FTTC, could Sky do any better?

For many years I had Sky Talk and unlimited broadband ADSL. Download speed was a reliable 11Mbps and I never had to report a fault. Recently I was tempted to change to FTTC and switched to Plusnet as their prices for up to 38Mbps fiber are better than the similar service from Sky. Before switching I noted from the the BT Broadband checker:
      https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm

that I should get at least (estimated) 27Mbps connection speed

Switched to Plusnet FTTC, could Sky do any better?-image2.jpg

In fact the connection speed I now get is about 20Mbps and the download speed is about 18.6Mbps which I'm not impressed with:
      Switched to Plusnet FTTC, could Sky do any better?-image1.jpg

A visit from a BT Openreach engineer determined that there is no fault on my line, my line is not impacted and that the snyc speed of 20Mbps is consistent with the line length to the cabinet of about 1.2 Km. This begs the question as to why the speed estimate from the BT Broadband checker is so inaccurate, and it suggests mis-selling.

Fortunately the additional cost to me of the Plusnet FTTC service over the duration of the 18 month contract is between 1 -2 per month, compared with the SKY ADSL + line rental so in that sense the situation isn't too dissapointing. Presumably if I had taken the up to 38Mbps FTTC service from Sky I would got the same connection speed as the underlying network is provided by BT Openreach, in that case though I'd have been even moe dissapointed at the cost from Sky would have been more.

Any one else had a similar experience switching to fiber with speeds being well below the estimates despite no line faults?

I'm already considering options once the 18 month contract with Plusnet is over. Maybe forget about FTTC as BT Openreach speed estimates are not reliable in my area and instead return to SKY ADSL, or even switch to Virgin Media which is available in my street. Would there be any point switching to an up to 76Mbps fiber service as that would probably just result in an increased cap in speed but the actualy sync speed would remain the same, or with that service is more power applied to the line to provide higher snyc speeds?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Switched to Plusnet FTTC, could Sky do any better?

I am not sure how you know your line is not 'impacted'. I believe this means there is interference on your line, probably caused by crosstalk between the several lines in the cabinet. Your sync rate is actually between the high and low rates in the impacted range. It was very noticeable when fibre became available, the first adopters found their speed reduced gradually as more lines were connected to the cabinet. There is a process being introduced which helps overcome crosstalk, it may not have been applied to your cabinet yet.

As the highest speed available on your line is well below the maximum speed of 80mb I don't think upgrading would increase your speed any. The only consolation is that you would be no better off with Sky, and you would be paying more.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

As above, I had an estimate of 53 - got 60 to start with in 2012, currently hitting 80
      all the time now

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You may have got a higher upload speed with Sky fibre as Plusnet provide a 40/2 product whereas Sky Fibre is 40/10 (one of the reasons for the price difference) but the download speed will be the same as it is limited by line length (to cabinet) and noise. Are you able to get a noise margin reading from your router?

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ray_dav View Post
      For many years I had Sky Talk and unlimited broadband ADSL. Download speed was a reliable 11Mbps and I never had to report a fault. Recently I was tempted to change to FTTC and switched to Plusnet as their prices for up to 38Mbps fiber are better than the similar service from Sky. Before switching I noted from the the BT Broadband checker:
      https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm

that I should get at least (estimated) 27Mbps connection speed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	6184

In fact the connection speed I now get is about 20Mbps and the download speed is about 18.6Mbps which I'm not impressed with:
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	6183

A visit from a BT Openreach engineer determined that there is no fault on my line, my line is not impacted and that the snyc speed of 20Mbps is consistent with the line length to the cabinet of about 1.2 Km. This begs the question as to why the speed estimate from the BT Broadband checker is so inaccurate, and it suggests mis-selling.

Fortunately the additional cost to me of the Plusnet FTTC service over the duration of the 18 month contract is between 1 -2 per month, compared with the SKY ADSL + line rental so in that sense the situation isn't too dissapointing. Presumably if I had taken the up to 38Mbps FTTC service from Sky I would got the same connection speed as the underlying network is provided by BT Openreach, in that case though I'd have been even moe dissapointed at the cost from Sky would have been more.

Any one else had a similar experience switching to fiber with speeds being well below the estimates despite no line faults?

I'm already considering options once the 18 month contract with Plusnet is over. Maybe forget about FTTC as BT Openreach speed estimates are not reliable in my area and instead return to SKY ADSL, or even switch to Virgin Media which is available in my street. Would there be any point switching to an up to 76Mbps fiber service as that would probably just result in an increased cap in speed but the actualy sync speed would remain the same, or with that service is more power applied to the line to provide higher snyc speeds?
      Proof that Sky using technologies to reduce crosstalk on ADSL gives much better speeds than most other ISP's, for their LLU ADSL?
      Your BT estimate is up to 8Mb/s for ADSL2+ but you were getting 11Mb/s from Sky.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky