Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sophos Home UTM Edition 9 and SKY Hub2 , WAN Address re-allocation

This is a discussion on Sophos Home UTM Edition 9 and SKY Hub2 , WAN Address re-allocation within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have setup a Sophos UTM 9 Home Firewall ( https://www.sophos.com/en-us/product...anagement.aspx ) and need to configure the Wide Area ...

auxinet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sophos Home UTM Edition 9 and SKY Hub2 , WAN Address re-allocation

Hi
      I have setup a Sophos UTM 9 Home Firewall (https://www.sophos.com/en-us/product...anagement.aspx) and need to configure the Wide Area Network port to assume the role of the Internet port of the SKY Hub2. I notice that SKY use MER on the SKYHUB2 which relies on MAC authentication for the dynamic release of the WAN Address. Could anyone please confirm if you SKY are able or willing to configure their dynamic address allocation so that my MAC Address of my UTM9 Home Firewall Ethernet port is granted the WAN/Internet Public facing IP address (instead of the Internet port on the SKY Hub2)?

Thank you.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Sophos Home UTM Edition 9 and SKY Hub2 , WAN Address re-allocation

For Sky Fibre connections MER is a red herring. MER is for ADSL connections.

The important thing for Sky Fibre connections is Opt.#61. This is how the Sky routers log into the Sky servers. It carries the log in name and password.

There are several threads with the information that you need to get this and the format required.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Can you point me to one of the threads you refer to , as I have done a search and it returns no articles.

Thank you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, I found an article , however I am confused. I am not putting in place an alternative modem/router, but an appliance which is effectively a firewall. So would welcome some advice based on the premise I do not wish to replace the modem/router but want to tramsfer the WAN address to the WAN Interface on my Firewall (Sophos UTM).

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, I found an article , however I am confused. I am not putting in place an alternative modem/router, but an appliance which is effectively a firewall. So would welcome some advice based on the premise I do not wish to replace the modem/router but want to transfer the WAN address (off the modem/router WAN/Internet interface) to the WAN Interface on my Firewall (Sophos UTM).

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

There are several 'stickies' in this section that can help.

The first part will show you how to capture the information needed (essentially use Wireshark to do this) or use the site which gives you this information via a specific tool/calculator.

Then you need to pass on the information to the Sky Servers once you've dialled the VDSL connection using Opt.#61 .

Try this thread: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...mer-guide.html

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by auxinet View Post
      Hi
      I have setup a Sophos UTM 9 Home Firewall (https://www.sophos.com/en-us/product...anagement.aspx) and need to configure the Wide Area Network port to assume the role of the Internet port of the SKY Hub2. I notice that SKY use MER on the SKYHUB2 which relies on MAC authentication for the dynamic release of the WAN Address. Could anyone please confirm if you SKY are able or willing to configure their dynamic address allocation so that my MAC Address of my UTM9 Home Firewall Ethernet port is granted the WAN/Internet Public facing IP address (instead of the Internet port on the SKY Hub2)?

Thank you.
      How are you setting up your firewall on your network because I don't see why it's WAN port needs to assume the role of the internet port of the hub because the hub is still needed to make the connection to the internet?

The usual setup is "HUB --> Firewall --> Ethernet Switch --> internal network". The hub still deals with the connection to the internet and logging onto Sky's network whilst the firewall acts as the gateway.

I used to use a SecurePoint firewall (OK, it's not the same system but the setup should be the same) on my network and basically my set up was as follows:
      1. The router was set up with DHCP and wifi switched off (you will need to add an access point to your network to use wifi). The IP address of the firewall's WAN will need to be setup on the router's DMZ to bypass any routing.

2. The firewall's WAN port should be set up as a static IP address by default so you just need to make sure the router's LAN is in the same IP range.

3. I'm not familiar with the Sophos system but I assume the firewall can also has a DHCP server built in, so this will need to be configured, if it isn't already by default, so the firewall will become the gateway.

Once this is all done it should be working and all that's needed is to tweak the firewall as required.