Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cheap gigabit replacement for sagem fast 2504

This is a discussion on cheap gigabit replacement for sagem fast 2504 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ok. Iv been going through the threads on compatible routers. Looking for some suggestions on a gigabit router to replace ...

theballboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bt47
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

cheap gigabit replacement for sagem fast 2504

ok. Iv been going through the threads on compatible routers.
      Looking for some suggestions on a gigabit router to replace the sagem - something with improved wireless speeds
      I still have my openreach modem
      Whats the easiest way to replace the Sagem - do I have to go down the open wrt route?
      Can anyone point me to a guide

Much appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: cheap gigabit replacement for sagem fast 2504

answering my own thread here or thinking out loud
      Basically Im upgrading my home plugs to gigabit and wanted to connect one to a gigabit port on the sagem replacement as the current 10/100 would render the gigabit on the homeplug useless (I know I aint gonna get the gigabit speeds with the homeplugs but sureley they will be an increase over the 500s on 10/100). I have a 500 homeplug attached to sagem and then 2 other homeplugs in 2 separate places which clients connect to (have no way of hardwiring these or else I would have ages ago)

anyway
      I have a gigabit switch in the attic that I run ethernet to from the sagem (for internet connectivity) then my nas and 2 clients are connected through the gigabit switch for streaming from NAS. I If I connected a gigabit homeplug to a port on the switch, would that that solve the problem? think it would actually for the NAS streaming but would the internet speed still be running from the 10/100 to the switch and therefore throughput would be effected there?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Whilst G.Bit Homeplugs would be better than 500mb Homeplugs, if you can install an Ethernet cable you'll get a far better result. Unfortunately you've already stated that this isn't possible so it'll have to be the Homeplugs.

There is always a possibility that you may have an issue with Homeplugs though.

If you run everything off the Homeplugs and 1Gbit switch, then it doesn't really matter what the speed of the router is.

Of course WiFi tend to run through the router, so this would be something to consider.

As for whether or not you need to take the OpenWRT or DD-WRT option, there are now a few routers that will work off their native firmwares. This may be something you may want to consider.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theballboy View Post
      answering my own thread here or thinking out loud
      Basically Im upgrading my home plugs to gigabit and wanted to connect one to a gigabit port on the sagem replacement as the current 10/100 would render the gigabit on the homeplug useless (I know I aint gonna get the gigabit speeds with the homeplugs but sureley they will be an increase over the 500s on 10/100). I have a 500 homeplug attached to sagem and then 2 other homeplugs in 2 separate places which clients connect to (have no way of hardwiring these or else I would have ages ago)

anyway
      I have a gigabit switch in the attic that I run ethernet to from the sagem (for internet connectivity) then my nas and 2 clients are connected through the gigabit switch for streaming from NAS. I If I connected a gigabit homeplug to a port on the switch, would that that solve the problem? think it would actually for the NAS streaming but would the internet speed still be running from the 10/100 to the switch and therefore throughput would be effected there?
      Think of this, I have a Netgear D7000, great modem router but it is now only a WAP. My OR modem connects to a pfsense firewall, it also handles the sky login, output of that goes into a gigabit switch, one port of that goes to the d7000 as the WAP, another port goes to a powerline adaptor. There are three other powerline adaptors around the house, each one of them feed other gigabit switches for equipment local to them, there are also WAP points from two of these switches. This has proven to be the best way I can achieve a high speed network without Cat* cables, I'm using devolo av2 1200's. It works really well.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Whilst G.Bit Homeplugs would be better than 500mb Homeplugs, if you can install an Ethernet cable you'll get a far better result. Unfortunately you've already stated that this isn't possible so it'll have to be the Homeplugs.

There is always a possibility that you may have an issue with Homeplugs though.

If you run everything off the Homeplugs and 1Gbit switch, then it doesn't really matter what the speed of the router is.

Of course WiFi tend to run through the router, so this would be something to consider.

As for whether or not you need to take the OpenWRT or DD-WRT option, there are now a few routers that will work off their native firmwares. This may be something you may want to consider.
      Routers that work with sky outta the box?
      I originally had the homeplug connected directly to the sky router and have just realised that if I was streaming something across my network from my nas then it would have to travel though the router fist (10/100) which didnt really matter as it was a 10/100 hompeplug. But i guess if I connect a gigabit homeplug directly to my giagbit switch then it actually doesnt matter about the 10/100 router. Also now considering another 2 10 gigabit switches to attach to other end of other 2 homeplugs that will serve 3 devices I have on each end (2 separate rooms ) as only one device be used at a time.

All upstairs rooms hardwired to the switch in attic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Think of this, I have a Netgear D7000, great modem router but it is now only a WAP. My OR modem connects to a pfsense firewall, it also handles the sky login, output of that goes into a gigabit switch, one port of that goes to the d7000 as the WAP, another port goes to a powerline adaptor. There are three other powerline adaptors around the house, each one of them feed other gigabit switches for equipment local to them, there are also WAP points from two of these switches. This has proven to be the best way I can achieve a high speed network without Cat* cables, I'm using devolo av2 1200's. It works really well.
      Ha. Just posted there before I read yours. Just worked the switches option at homeplugs out today. So along with powerline to gigabit switch should be pretty much the same as yours. Any idea what kinda speeds you getting from Internet outta attached to 1200 homeplugs? (expensive those)

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Internet is maxed out at the DSL speeds, the powerlines average over 680Mbps, VDSL has a max of only 80Mbps
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Internet is maxed out at the DSL speeds, the powerlines average over 680Mbps, VDSL has a max of only 80Mbps
      680? Really
      I would hope then that I could max the Internet out on the 650s

Thanks

But is it possible that upstairs floor is on a different electrical ring and plugging in up there at the switch and other 2 downstairs wont work?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Routers that work with sky outta the box?
      Yes there are a few now that support Opt.#61, which is what is required.

I originally had the homeplug connected directly to the sky router and have just realised that if I was streaming something across my network from my nas then it would have to travel though the router fist (10/100) which didnt really matter as it was a 10/100 hompeplug. But i guess if I connect a gigabit homeplug directly to my giagbit switch then it actually doesnt matter about the 10/100 router. Also now considering another 2 10 gigabit switches to attach to other end of other 2 homeplugs that will serve 3 devices I have on each end (2 separate rooms ) as only one device be used at a time.

All upstairs rooms hardwired to the switch in attic
      Whilst traffic will go through the router to locate a device, the bulk traffic will take the shortest route.

For example:

Sky router -> Switch#1 (1Gbit) -> Switch #2 (1Gbit)

PC connected to Switch #1
      TV#1 Connected to Switch #1
      TV#2 Connected to Switch #2
      NAS connected to Switch #2

When content is streamed to the TV#2 from the NAS, all the content just goes through Switch #2.

When content is streamed from the NAS to the PC it will travel at the speed that the link can handle.

If content is streamed from the NAS to TV#1 then it will travel at the speed that the link can handle, but as most TV that I know have a 100mb port, that will be the limiting factor. Should you now copy content from the PC to the NAS, that will be limited to a maximum of 100mb, sharing the spare bandwidth with the TV. Once the TV stops streaming then the PC will be able to get back to the maximum speed.

If you have a laptop connected via WiFi to the Router then the speed of transfer to the NAS will be limited by the slowest component. In most cases this will be the WiFi. The Sagem 2504N supports 144mbps, but most laptop will connect at half that speed (72mbps). The figure represents the total up & down speed, so half that again, giving you around 36mbps.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast