Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

best compatible router/modem for sky fibre

This is a discussion on best compatible router/modem for sky fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys Im needing a combined modem and router with gigabit support To replace a SKY fibre hub 2.0 Whats ...

delpy8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

best compatible router/modem for sky fibre

Hi guys Im needing a combined modem and router with gigabit support To replace a SKY fibre hub 2.0 Whats recommended as at the moment Im looking at two options

the Netgear D7000-100UKS and Asus DSL-AC68U

Any help appreciated

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: best compatible router/modem for sky fibre

Hi delpy8,

I need to be careful otherwise users will think I either work for or sell netgear, I do neither. I see you have posted on another thread regarding the dsl-ac68 and IsItme referred you to post 86 I think. If you go back a little further you will find where the thread was sidelined, probably by me, and the D7000 became the topic. If you read that thread I think you'll be able to make your mind up. I' m sure there are other D7000 users here but I suspect they're so laid back now they cannot be bothered to post!

I have one piece of advice though, buy nothing and wait until your connection is live and look at the stats. You need to know a couple of things before buying anything, namely what speed are you getting from the sky modem, sorry forgot to ask, is this your first fibre connection or are you coming to sky from another provider? Also, I would want to know which type of DSLAM I was connected to. Once you have those two pieces of info then you have a chance of making the correct choice.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

delpy8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Hi delpy8,

I need to be careful otherwise users will think I either work for or sell netgear, I do neither. I see you have posted on another thread regarding the dsl-ac68 and IsItme referred you to post 86 I think. If you go back a little further you will find where the thread was sidelined, probably by me, and the D7000 became the topic. If you read that thread I think you'll be able to make your mind up. I' m sure there are other D7000 users here but I suspect they're so laid back now they cannot be bothered to post!

I have one piece of advice though, buy nothing and wait until your connection is live and look at the stats. You need to know a couple of things before buying anything, namely what speed are you getting from the sky modem, sorry forgot to ask, is this your first fibre connection or are you coming to sky from another provider? Also, I would want to know which type of DSLAM I was connected to. Once you have those two pieces of info then you have a chance of making the correct choice.
      Thanks for the info, Im moving from sky broadband to sky fibre so will come back with relevant info next Sunday hopefully

sculler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delpy8 View Post
      the Netgear D7000-100UKS and Asus DSL-AC68U
      I have the Asus DSL-AC68U, and whilst it's a good bit of kit for a router/wireless AP, I don't use it as the modem due to the documented VDSL firmware issues.

Just moved to Sky Fibre (from BT), and I'm running with the Sky hub as the modem, with the ASUS plugged into it. I will do some line stat checks presently, and then try out a BT openreach modem (matched to the DSLAM) to see what works best.

I tested out the ASUS modem whilst still on BT infinity, and having run into the firmware issues with it, I won't be using it on the Sky Fibre connection.

xillius200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01420
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delpy8 View Post
      Thanks for the info, Im moving from sky broadband to sky fibre so will come back with relevant info next Sunday hopefully
      After reading your thread and seeing the mention of an ASUS DSL modem I had to answer back......I just like you decided to change my modem, I got the ASUS DSL-N66U. When I first got it I plugged it in and set it up and the line was unstable and had connection issues....so every day or two it would disconnect and reconnect making DLM kick in and making it lower my speed, im usually on fastpath with around 6/7 ping for a few things including games. So I updated it thinking that would fix my issue well it did however then my ping was around 50 as minimum to things and I was having connection issues then between the modem and my switch that I use upstairs....I thought could this get any better....so I was left to go on the ASUS forum...tons of people with issues and complaints...took them 2 months to issue and update and finally after 3 updates it was slightly stable well good enough and with the latest update even to this day at this moment the connection is stable the ping is higher than usual and certain features still have issues with them not working not to mention the features on this router is lacklustre and tons more people on the forum complaining about issues pages and pages...with no answer from ASUS and no expected date for another firmware update....the GUI even freezes so changing options are difficult.....in case you wish to see - ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum-

By any means I do not at all recommend an ASUS modem if I were you i'd stay well away from it and get another brand, don't make the same mistake I and many others have. Plugging in my old sky sr102 drops my ping back to 6/7 and everything works efficiently...which is shame seeing the ports aren't a gigabit and the wireless is so poor....only if asus actually gave more of a damn to their networking range

If anything a Netgear would be a very good bet to go with

pdes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Being on a long line with an Attn of 33.5 (2km) my speed was around 6.3mb using the Asus DSL AC68U. This was very stable but fell short of the speed I expected. I had read that long lines worked better with a Broadcom chipset. So last week I decided to try the D7000. I got another 2.5mb!! That's a huge difference when you are in the sticks!

The only downside of the D7000 is the lack of ability to configure and obtain line stats but TBH, I'd rathere have a few more mb.

Hope that's useful.

Thanks

I am really please to hear that, on another forum it was reported by one user on a long line it was 'useless', guess he must have had a bad one.

You can use DSLStats to get all the info you need. You'll need to run telnetenabler.exe first. Go hunt Google.

pdes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post

You can use DSLStats to get all the info you need. You'll need to run telnetenabler.exe first. Go hunt Google.
      Thank for that - hope it works with the D7000 as well as the R7000

Thanks

It does.

Erm I didnt read that properly, you wont get stats from an R7000, it has no modem.
      Last edited by marjohn56; 08-09-15 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Ermm