Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

Extension sockets not working

This is a discussion on Extension sockets not working within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Apologies if this is a repeat post but I've searched for weeks and not found others with the same problem ...

Mundania is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Extension sockets not working

Apologies if this is a repeat post but I've searched for weeks and not found others with the same problem

We had Sky fibre installed in our new house a couple of months ago, self-install didn't work so OpenReach engineer came round a few days later. Very unhelpful guy but got the fibre working through the master socket after fitting an MK3 faceplate.

However, the Sky hub will ONLY work with this master socket and gets no response from the several other extension sockets around the house, even though they all get dial tone. As the master socket is in my daughter's nursery, it really can't be in a worse room and I need to move the hub elsewhere. As I say, the engineer was completely unhelpful and didn't offer any solutions.

So - is it unusual for the extension sockets to work with fibre and is there anything I can do short of running extension cables through the house or getting BT to come and move the master socket? I don't mind some loss of speed just to get it moved...

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Extension sockets not working

When a phone circuit is filtered with plate, only the master socket can receive broadband, it does not matter whether it is ADSL or VDSL. If you don't mind loosing speed you could remove the filter-plate from the master socket, this would allow any other socket to be used. Remember you must use plug in filters on all the sockets which are in use. The filter-plate will not be wired, use should be able to remove it without difficulty. Doing this will impact on your speed and possibly the stability or your connection.

The alternate is to get the master socket moved, this could cost around 120-150.
      Hedgehog1979 likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

If you disconnect you faceplate the first section that comes off will probably have all your 2nd sockets connected to it. When this is connected it means any of these 2nd sockets as well as anything connected direct into the top section is filtered.

If you move your hub to another socket and connect it with a filter then you are double filtering as you will be filtered at the 2nd socket and also filtered where the 2nd socket is connected to the faceplate.

Once you have the faceplate off you will see a small idc connection at the top left that would accept 2 cables. If the engineer had connected one of your sockets to this it would bypass the filter in the mk3 meaning that depending on the quality of the 2nd socket cabling you could have connected the hub to that 2nd socket with a filter and it it would not then go through the filter in the mk3.

If you did not discuss moving the hub to another socket when the engineer was there then that is why he has probably wired it the way he has.

If you feel comfortable doing it and have a crones tool you could disconnect one of the 2nd lines from the faceplate and try connecting to the small idc block.

Lol or as Itsitme suggests which is probably easier remove the prefiltered section and connect the faceplate direct to the backplate, if done this way all sockets in use would need to be filtered though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick advice - the hub was sent as a self-install so I did try running it through other sockets before the faceplate was fitted and couldn't get anything.

I have also tried removing the faceplate but that then wipes even the dial tone from the other sockets.

I will definitely have a look at the wiring as you suggest - being it's in the nursery I can't actually look now but will do as soon as I get the chance. Unfortunately the house has something crazy like 8 or 9 sockets but I might actually have enough filters to cover that

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Empty sockets do not require a filter, only those that have a telephone or other device eg. fax plugged into them.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks again - looking at your message about filters has suddenly given me a thought about what the problem may be. The previous owners had a burglar alarm fixed up to the phone line - that won't have any filters on it, and probably beyond my capabilities to get on put on it. Would that be enough to completely block fibre from extensions?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I would say that it would prevent the burglar alarm from reporting a break in rather than the other way round but if the alarm is just plugged into a phone socket the best thing to do is unplug it, at least while testing.

Come to think of it the best thing would be to unplug everything except your router from the phone line while testing but don't forget to plug a phone in when you have finished in case someone wants to call you.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The previous owners had a burglar alarm fixed up to the phone line - that won't have any filters on it
      To prevent anyone interfering with the alarm, many alarm installers hardwire the phone connection to the master socket. The alarm should have a built in filter, but if it hasn't that can cause a lot of problems. I would have thought the phone installer would have noticed and commented on this. By what you say it looks like you do not have the alarm connected to a phone centre, so the best thing to do would be to just cut the wire going to the phone. Unless you are paying for it, it will not be connected anyway.

Thinking about it further, your best bet may be to leave the router where it is and use an ethernet cable, or even Homeplugs to take a lead to another position where you can site a switch. An old router would be suitable, but you might want to use a dual band wireless access point if you have a lot of wireless devices. The router is completely silent so it should not disturb the baby.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.