Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router ip address changes; consequently cannot portward with uTorrent

This is a discussion on Router ip address changes; consequently cannot portward with uTorrent within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. I have never really had a problem port-forwarding until now (I am using the sky hub SR101)... But when ...

Marilyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Router ip address changes; consequently cannot portward with uTorrent

Hi. I have never really had a problem port-forwarding until now (I am using the sky hub SR101)... But when I set the service then create a rule it will constantly change from green to yellow, and even after changing port constantly it still persists. Moreover, I have always used 192.168.0.2 as the address when port-forwarding, but through I ipconfig have noticed it changing from .3 to .5, etc. So when editing the rule to correspond to that suffix the green icon remains until the router it reconnected and it will persist with connection problems.
      Now when obtaining router ip address from cmd it shows as 'ipv4' and I take that as the correct address? I know I can using UPNP but want to solve this as I might need to use for other programmes in the future.
      I've exhausted every avenue via google, but cannot keep editing the rule upon router reboot - that ludicrous! Maybe I need to set a static ip address? As atm I obtain one via DHCP server.

I know I might not have included all the details, but will provide as much follow-up information if/when required.

Thanks a lot.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Router ip address changes; consequently cannot portward with uTorrent

The answer is to enable UPnP and use that.

I've never had an issue with µTorrent.

If your PC s getting different IP Addresses then simply reserve an IP Address for it on the router.

IP Address Reservation

However I would still stick with UPnP.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay. That link doesn't really show you how to do it, though. I haven't got any documentation... so how do I set it up otherwise? This is the info what I get from ipconfig:

Code:
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Home
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c06b:9492:2fcd:85d0%11
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
      As stated before, the 'IPv4 Address' changes 'again.' UPNP can run into conflicts, no? Can someone please run me through a ste-by-step guide? Irrespective, if my router address changes every time?

Thanks.

Thanks

Try this:

How to get to the LAN IP Setup page

1. Login to the router.
      2. Then click on ¨Advanced¨ in the menu bar of the router’s user interface (UI).
      3. Then click on ¨LAN IP Setup¨ in the sub-menu bar of the router’s user interface (UI).

Address Reservation

This section of the page shows a list of the current IP address reservations. It also allows you to:

• Add a new IP address reservation for a computer or other device connected to your network (click on the button labelled ¨Add¨).
      • Change an existing IP address reservation (click on the button labelled ¨Edit¨).
      • Remove an existing IP address reservation (click on the button labelled ¨Delete¨).

When adding an IP address reservation, the Sky Hub shows a list of computers and other devices connected to your network, or you can type in the device name and MAC address of a specific computer or other device connected to your network and the required IP address that you want to reserve for it.

When changing an IP address reservation or removing an IP address reservation, select the required IP address reservation from the list.

Each IP address reservation change will prompt you to reboot the Sky Hub either immediately or later. If you are making a lot of changes, it’s probably a good idea to defer the reboot until after you have finished making all the changes.

To back out of making any changes, click on the button labelled ¨Cancel¨.

Otherwise, to proceed with making any changes, click on the button labelled ¨Apply¨.

Note that changes to IP address reservations will not take effect until the Sky Hub has been restarted. It may also be necessary to restart the device in question in some cases as well.

Exchange:
      Thanks

How does this differ to setting it up via adapter settings? Meaning, network card settings. The page you specified contains 2 address: my one at 192.168.0.5 and a tablet that connects at 192.168.0.2. I don't know what settings to add/edit/delete... Ohh, I see: I can 'reserve' any address (obviously) so every time router switches on I will have said-address? Can you give me help, please?

Thanks.

Thanks

With more people having Laptops or Tablets, which by their very nature are portable, it is far safer to recommend that the router is used to reserve the IP Addresses IMHO.

This way, should you visit a friend or pop into a suitable Coffee shop, you can still connect automatically without messing around with the settings.

It also reduces the chances of you messing things up accidentally if you want to have 4 or 5 devices with fixed IP Addresses. Since you can see the entire list on the router and the router is allocating them, it makes it nearly impossible to have two devices attempting to use the same fixed IP Address.

Have you followed the instructions above?

Essentially it should be quite simple to complete the task. There is some help provided on the page too.

http://192.168.0.1/sky_lan_ip_setup.html

This is what my SR101 looks like at the moment:

Router ip address changes; consequently cannot portward with uTorrent-address-reservation.jpg

I've covered over the MAC addresses and device names. Since my SR101 directs the traffic through to my WNDR3800 it doesn't do a great deal.

The WNDR3800 does do a lot more though. I have a variety of reserved IP Addresses for things such as my IP Cameras, TV & Sky+ STBs and a few other items which benefit due to some of the services they provide from having a fixed IP Address.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks. Yeah I understand what to do, which as you can see as I was typing (lol). Why/how do you use another router? Is that instead of the BT one? I didn't think you could use a third-party one? If so, what are the benefits? And why do you need the additional BT openreach router?

Thanks for your help. I knew that I would get my problem remedied on this forum.

kman28 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Banbridge (NIBB)
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      The open reach box is the fiber modem u wouldn't be changing that u need that.

It would be the sky sr101 that you would change.

The benefits very depending on what router you change to.

Generally

Gigabit Ethernet
      Better / faster wireless performance
      Qos
      More firewall options etc
      Sky Fiber 40/10 Connection - DL 39998 - UL 10000

kev123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi guy, sorry if I in the wrong area to ask this question. my router of many years died on me last week, luckiy the nice people at sky sent me a new one free of charge,hub SR102 I believe, problem is that utorrent no longer works, can access pirateproxy via opera turbo mode but once on utorrent just says connecting to peers. after reading up on this, i checked in the router settings and uPNP (whatever that is) was enabled, I believe I need to do something called port forwarding? done I think in the firewall rules section, after that I was at a total loss really, I presume add inbound service? the rest of the details I really don't know?? some help with this would be much appreciated,

thanks in advance and sorry, when it comes to this stuff i havent got a clue

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

@Marilyn
      The easiest way to set up your devices is to disconnect everything from the router then connect your PC and restart it. Go to the Address reservation List and add your PC. Normally it will have the .2 address, if it doesn't, give it the address. Now connect your second device, (tablet?) it should be given the next number available, .3, reserve it in the same way. Do this with all your devices, then reboot the router to make the addresses 'stick'. Note that you don't have to give the devices ascending addresses, you can give them any address between .2 and .254. For instance my Sky box has .10,, my TV .20, my extra router has .254 and so on.

@Kex123
      If you are not familiar with post forwarding the easiest way is to use a little program called Simpleportforwarding. You can get it here - Simple Port Forwarding Make sure you select the correct router, SR101 and SR102 have the same GUI so use the SR101 setting.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.