Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SFUP Self Install?

This is a discussion on SFUP Self Install? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Morning all New to the forum, looks like a good resource so can't believe I've not been here before! Ordered ...

.Steve is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHARE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

SFUP Self Install?

Morning all

New to the forum, looks like a good resource so can't believe I've not been here before!

Ordered SFUP yesterday, do you think it'll be a self install job or will they book Openreach at all? I've seen that BT do self install for option 1 but not option 2 which is their equivilent of SFUP so I am just wondering?

I have excellent speeds on my current Sky ADSL+ service (sync at 23995Kbps) and an Openreach NTE5 (an older one, no grey text just the Openreach logo set into the plastic) so suspect I am in good shape for the service?

Cheers!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: SFUP Self Install?

All Sky Fibre installations are Self-Install unless you pay an extra 30 or so.

BT Retail are predicted to move over to self-install completely in due course, but as you have correctly pointed out, they only use it for the cheapest product at the moment.

You current speeds are not necessarily a good indicator of what you will end with on SFUP. They do tell me that you are relatively close to the exchange and that it is most likely that the line from the cabinet to your home is short. This in turn should mean that you should get close to the 80mb connection speed. The BTW site would predict things better though:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
      (Use the Address Checker link)

I would also recommend that you get yourself a VDSL Filtered Faceplate, especially if you have any extensions. You can fit this once it arrives as it works well for ADSL as well as VDSL connections.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

.Steve is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHARE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: SFUP Self Install?

Thanks Scubbie! I did quite a bit of reading last night and I won't really know how it will do until it's installed. I am very close to the exchange (can see it from my window, about .4km away) and the street cab is about 200m away so providing the cablings alright I should be OK.

Just ordered a VDSL v2 faceplate so will fit that when it turns up, no extensions and the master socket is next to the current modem/router anyway.

Cheers mate!