Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ethernet switcher with Sky Fibre Pro

This is a discussion on Ethernet switcher with Sky Fibre Pro within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I currently have a Belkin Ethernet Switch which is 10/100 Mbps. I use this for the following. I have an ...

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Ethernet switcher with Sky Fibre Pro

I currently have a Belkin Ethernet Switch which is 10/100 Mbps.

I use this for the following.

I have an Ethernet cable coming from my router and into another room where I have this switcher. Into this switcher I have connected an internet enabled TV, Blu Ray Player, Apple TV.

Currently the fastest Fibre broadband with Sky is 76 MB. Am I correct in thinking that when broadband speeds go over 100 MB, that this switcher will not give me the extra speed (over 100 MB). And instead I will need to purchase another switcher that has 1000 Mbps (as thatís what most of these type of switchers are now). Such as the one in the below link?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&s=computers

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Ethernet switcher with Sky Fibre Pro

I have two of those and have had them for a few years now.

They have both been totally solid and no issues to report at all. The price has dropped around £5 since I bought mine, which is nice to see.

My only comments would be that the LEDs just indicate a connection, not the speeds. Also one is wall mounted. This can make removing the Ethernet cable difficult as the clip is nearest the wall.

I also have one of these:

Works just as well, although the price has actually risen since I bought mine. There is no wall-mounting sockets for it, but the LEDs do show as with amber (100mb) or green (1Gbit) which can be helpful.

I have the three linked together to provide me with a 1Gbit LAN throughout. I haven't needed to reset them to regain a 1Gbit speed (something which can happen with some switches).

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (01-04-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help and link Scubbie

I like how the Netgear gives feedback of the speeds (100 mb amber) (1Gbit green). Might consider that one.

Scubbie.

Am I correct in thinking that when broadband speeds go over 100 MB, that the switcher I current have, will not give me the extra speed (over 100 MB). And instead I will need to purchase another switcher that has 1000 Mbps (as thatís what most of these type of switchers are now)?

Thanks

I bought the TP-Link switches first and haven't regretted the choice. As I said before they have been solid and haven't let me down once. Since getting the Netgear it too has been solid, but does get warmer.

I bought the Netgear as I still have a number of devices running at 100mb (TV, Home Theatre, Sky STBs) and also use this switch to connect unknown Laptops/PCs via Ethernet from time to time. It was useful for me to know the actual connection speed quickly in my case. It can be a distraction if placed in the wrong position though. The LEDs on the TP Links are visible, but less bright.

The network switch you currently have will not be able to handle any connection speeds over 100mb. This is to say whether they are local or via the Internet. It would handle my connection to the Internet though as this is 80/20.

What I have also found, with my 1Gbit switches, is if two devices are talking to each other with their 100mb ports between two switches, any other traffic over that link will also be limited to 100mb. Anything within the switch is fine due to how they work.

If you are looking at the future then a 1Gbit switch is a safe investment. More and more devices now come with 1Gbit Ethernet ports and I am sure with your TV, Blu-ray and Apple TV, that it won't be long before you are looking at a NAS or something similar which really will benefit from the 1Gbit Switch.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (01-04-14)

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

What does a Sky box run at? 100mb/1000mb?
      So would it slow down my network?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I bought the TP-Link switches first and haven't regretted the choice. As I said before they have been solid and haven't let me down once. Since getting the Netgear it too has been solid, but does get warmer.

I bought the Netgear as I still have a number of devices running at 100mb (TV, Home Theatre, Sky STBs) and also use this switch to connect unknown Laptops/PCs via Ethernet from time to time. It was useful for me to know the actual connection speed quickly in my case. It can be a distraction if placed in the wrong position though. The LEDs on the TP Links are visible, but less bright.

The network switch you currently have will not be able to handle any connection speeds over 100mb. This is to say whether they are local or via the Internet. It would handle my connection to the Internet though as this is 80/20.

What I have also found, with my 1Gbit switches, is if two devices are talking to each other with their 100mb ports between two switches, any other traffic over that link will also be limited to 100mb. Anything within the switch is fine due to how they work.

If you are looking at the future then a 1Gbit switch is a safe investment. More and more devices now come with 1Gbit Ethernet ports and I am sure with your TV, Blu-ray and Apple TV, that it won't be long before you are looking at a NAS or something similar which really will benefit from the 1Gbit Switch.

Thanks very much for the help Scubbie, you have been extremely helpful.

The 80/20 fibre broadband would be what I was moving on to. So for the time being at least, my current network switch will be fine.

Preferably when I get a new network switch, I would like one that would give me feedback of what that particular port was using (i.e 100Mbps, 1Gbit). The switcher will be placed out of direct view so the bright LEDís wonít be an issue.

The only purpose I will have for my network switch is basically to bring my internet connection from my router (via an ethernet cable) and into another room. I would then have the ability to add up to 8 devices to that internet connection by way of the network switcher.

Up to now I havenít needed to have one of my connected devices talking to another device that is plugged into the network switch.

Iím going to contact Sky shortly to order Sky Fibre Pro and in doing this Iíll need to move my line and calls from BT. Iíll try and get a good deal out of them

Thanks again Scubbie, really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      What does a Sky box run at? 100mb/1000mb?
      So would it slow down my network?
      Yes the ports in the Sky+ HD are 100mb. It is possible that whilst you are downloading OD content that your LAN speed could be reduced.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (01-04-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Scubbie.

Just wondering is there any difference between these two, apart from the number of ports. Preferable I want 8 ports for potential future use.

Thanks

The only difference is the number of the ports and price.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (01-04-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The only difference is the number of the ports and price.
      Thanks Scubbie for confirming this, appreciate the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast