Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Now 10 days in after BE migration.

This is a discussion on Now 10 days in after BE migration. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Prior to migration was my practice at the end of the day to turn my computer off along with my ...

dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Now 10 days in after BE migration.

Prior to migration was my practice at the end of the day to turn my computer off along with my Be box router and on again in the morning. Sky instructions made it very clear to leave their hub on for the 10 days for the training.
      The period as given good service and I'm satisfied with it. Initial speed was higher but quickly dropped to what I have now.
      I assume I can now turn hub off as I did the router in the past.
      Those of you that do switch your hubs off does it reconnect just as if never been off?
      Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Now 10 days in after BE migration.

I never turn my router off at all. Never did when I was on ADSL, don't plan to anytime soon either! (Unless there's a power cut or need to for some other reason). I don't think that turning it off would save much in terms of energy costs, and I'm satisfied that it's secure from a wifi and WAN point of view. And there are so many non-computer devices using the connection 24x7 in the background....
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

I'd agree, leave your router on 24/7/52.

Whilst Sky has control over the DLM software on their LLU kit, they don't have control on the Fibre connections. Instead the Fibre connections are subject to BTO's DLM software.

If you turn off the router the DLM software interprest this as a potential line fail and your connection speed will suffer, as other members have found.

If you are worried about possible fire, please ensure that there is nothing covering the router's vents and it is placed away from the curtains or other items which could cause a problem. The SR101 and SR102 run quite cool. The only time my SR101 got a little warm was when I copied a lot of data through it over a long period of time.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I'd agree, leave your router on 24/7/52.

Whilst Sky has control over the DLM software on their LLU kit, they don't have control on the Fibre connections. Instead the Fibre connections are subject to BTO's DLM software.

If you turn off the router the DLM software interprest this as a potential line fail and your connection speed will suffer, as other members have found.

If you are worried about possible fire, please ensure that there is nothing covering the router's vents and it is placed away from the curtains or other items which could cause a problem. The SR101 and SR102 run quite cool. The only time my SR101 got a little warm was when I copied a lot of data through it over a long period of time.
      Thanks.
      Not worried about the energy, being green, security or fire risk just wanting to know others experiences if turning off overnight. It does run hot but most items do these days.
      Back when it was Be adsl in use it did resync. at highest speed, so did not have the problem others that you mentioned have had with Sky Fibre.
      I'm just trying to find out what would happen and your input is good to have.
      Even when basically left on all the time there will be times when power fails or a turn off for maintenance to be done safely etc. Of course it will definitely be off when away from home to meet insurance requirements.
      Should any of these events take place what is the solution to get back to square one please? With Be their Support first thing they asked was to reset router to as supplied condition and re do any s/w updates that applied.
      I do not like the idea of the BT/OR involvement that calling Sky might have to do.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

I would double check your Insurance Policy. Insisting that the Internet router is left on when you are away would severally mess up a lot of people on this forum alone.

A lot of people use IP and security Cameras which connect via the Internet, so I think that any Insurance company worth it's salt would crash and burn if they insisted that you turn off the router.

Then we could go into streaming video content from your home whilst you are away. There are a lot of devices which support this ability including Slingbox and NAS drives.

I appreciate that you may not have any of these, but an Insurance company will know about them.

The occasional power cycle whether deliberate or due to a power cut is manageable. However if you leave the router off for an extended period or switch it off/on on a regular basis, your connection speed will drop and take around 2 weeks to recover.

It is possible to get an engineer out to reset the line, but Sky (and any other ISP) would be reluctant to do this. They normally insist that people wait for the 2 weeks to complete first.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

dnpark38 (22-03-14)