Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Vista with Black Hub

This is a discussion on Vista with Black Hub within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My Sky Fibre connection was enabled yesterday. I've successfully connected a Win7 laptop, an android smartphone and an android tablet ...

Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abergavenny
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Vista with Black Hub

My Sky Fibre connection was enabled yesterday. I've successfully connected a Win7 laptop, an android smartphone and an android tablet to the SR102 and these all work perfectly. The issue I'm having is with a Vista laptop. It connects to the Hub and has web access, but this access seems to stutter then freeze completely after a while. The same laptop worked perfectly well with the old SR101 Hub and 2504g with exactly the same settings (beefed up network key/not broadcasting SSID/no respond to ping on WAN). Sites start loading, then appear to freeze or load extremely slowly. I've tried downloading the latest drivers for the wireless adaptor (Intel wifi link 5100agn) and these have made no difference, although the latest ones available for vista are dated 2011.

In fact that download itself was strange. It kept freezing, and the only way I could get it started again was to pause and then unpause about 10 times, each time allowing it to proceed a little more. If I delete the wireless connection, reboot and set it up again, then things work fine for a while (27Mbs in speedtest), then begin freezing again (speedtest just hangs saying 'connecting' or sometimes reports very choppy speeds in the 1-2Mbs range when my win7 box says 27Mbs). In fact, and it may be coincidence, but things seem to go from normal to freezing whenever I try and update MalwareBytes!

The whole thing seems very strange, considering the laptop worked fine with a standard hub, and all my other devices work fine with the new hub.

The laptop is running Vista SP2 with everything up to date. The wireless adaptor is Draft-n though. Anyone have any ideas?
      Last edited by Jaheira; 18-03-14 at 06:16 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Vista with Black Hub

Righto! So after updating the wireless adaptor driver, then ages messing about with its config (not to mention tearing out a few handfuls of hair), the person who uses the Android devices informed me that the same thing was happening with them. So, not an issue with the Vista box. Whilst the router was syncing at 28Mbs and the win7 laptop showing download speeds of 27Mbs and working perfectly, the other 3 devices were spluttering, sometimes downloading at 27Mbs, sometimes crawling at less than 1Mbs and sometimes stalling altogether. Rebooting the router allowed them to download once again at 27Mbs, but only for a few minutes, after which the same issues recurred.

So, what had I changed in the router's setup that might be causing the issue? Beefed up the network key, changed the admin password, stopped responses to pings on the WAN - none of which could possibly cause an issue. Stopping the router broadcasting its SSID.......hmmm..........I re-enabled the SSID being broadcast and voila! Everything fine again. I find this strange as all the devices worked fine on SR101 and 2504g routers which, similarly, didn't broadcast their SSIDs.

So, the warning! If you disable your Black SR102 Hub from broadcasting its SSID and you have Android or Vista devices (and I would'nt be surprised XP), you might well run into serious problems!

Thanks

Does anyone have any input as I'm still having a problem with wireless on my SR102 which is severely winding me up! I've just moved home and there just seems to be one issue after another.

The router is syncing properly with the Internet, but wireless is causing problems. For example, the router was connected to the net last night at 28800kbs and I was getting a download speed of 27.2Mbs on my win7 laptop according to speedtest. When I awoke this morning it had resynced at about 24000/5500kbs (DLM doing its thing) but speedtest was reporting a download speed of only 1.5Mbs but an upload of about 5Mbs! Rebooting the router solved the problem, but lowered the sync speed.

The android devices also seem to be having serious issues. Initially after a router reboot, they give speedtest downloads speeds close to the router sync speed. But after a few minutes connected, speeds seem to drop off drastically. The Vista box I'm on now, seems to report radically different speeds from different servers on speedtest (16Mbs from Ealing, but only 5Mbs from the much closer Bristol and Gloucester ones and sometimes much lower). It also reports ping times much higher than my win7 laptop to the same server (25ms for Ealing as opposed to 5ms). The only settings I've changed with the router are beefing up the network key, changing the admin password, and stopping responses to pings on the WAN. I initially disabled SSID broadcast (also disabling WPS) but have subsequently re-enabled it (but not WPS).

The issue here seems to be wireless on the SR102. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Could the router be faulty, as all the devices I have worked fine with a 2504g and SR101? Any input would be most welcome!
      Last edited by Jaheira; 19-03-14 at 10:18 PM.

LiamMc03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kneller Hall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had my problems with the wireless on the SR102. Slow loading of web pages, ping rates from wirelessly connected devices were sporadic - many of the results in their 1000's.

I decided to contact Sky as I noticed the uptime of the WAN was lower than the uptime of LAN/WAN when no settings for wireless had been changed. I informed the advisor of this and she also realised that it must be a hub problem - so a replacement was sent out.

Plugged the new hub in, waiting 15-20 mins for the MAC to the authenticate on their end and bing-bang-bosh, job done. No more flaky wireless.

Thanks

Doesn't look like it's a wireless problem after all. I was getting download speeds from speedtest.net half the router sync speed on the vista lappy. Tried connecting it via ethernet, and still the same speed, even though the router was connecting to the internet twice as fast. So wired/wireless gave the same results.

Here are my current line stats:-

Vista with Black Hub-fibre_router.jpg

About what I'd expect considering I'm about 1km from the cabinet. Here's what speedtest is giving me:-

But I may well go on one of my other devices and get much slower speeds reported by speedtest with those line stats. Or the router may DLM resync, and I might get 1-2Mbs speeds on this win7 laptop even though the router is connected at more than 20000kbs. If I reboot the router, speedtest results might once again be what I'd expect considering the speed the router is synced at. And my 2 Android devices appear to always give a download speed according to speedtest of around 5Mbs even though the router is synced above 20Mbs, apart from just after a router reboot, when they give the results I'd expect.

Even though my router is plugged in an extension, plugging it in the master socket only gives a slightly better Line Attenuation (26.5db as opposed to 27.3db). There are ludicrously 7 phone extension terminals around this house, although I'm not sure how many are actually wired. If there was a problem with the internal wiring, surely I wouldn't be getting connection speeds anywhere near 27Mbs? So, since the router is connecting at decent speeds, and wired gives the same issues as wireless, what could be causing my issues? Could the router be faulty? It seems weird that some machines may be getting results from speedtest I'd expect whilst at the same time others seem to crawl. And later, the machine that was fine might itself be crawling. Rebooting the router seems to remedy the problem for some devices and others only temporarily (wow 27Mbs on this android smartphone.......5 mins later back to 5Mbs).

There's a mental hospital about a km away from this new house. If I have many more days of the stress this bloody router is giving me, I may well be booking myself in few a weeks respite!
      Last edited by Jaheira; 20-03-14 at 02:29 AM.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Sometimes to find the problem means eliminating all possible causes.

This probably isn't the issue but as you're seeing similar issues wired and wireless and particularly because a router reboot temporarily solves the problem, I'm wondering if you have a LAN IP conflict somewhere?

Routers are pretty dumb in many ways and when rebooted they "forget" previously allocated IP assignments and hand out an IP to a new device that is already held by an existing device. With so many mobile devices in a household this is becoming more and more of an issue in my experience. To eliminate this as a possible problem, power off your router and every connected device (TVs, Sky boxes, phones, xbox etc etc). Power back your router and then one by one power back your devices.

As I said, may not be the problem but give it a try, Also, if you have several devices connecting to your router I recommend reserving IPs* for them to prevent this problem in future.

* avoid setting a fixed IP in each device itself as you can easily forget you've done it later and the router can't know you've done it. Instead user the router functionality to reserve the address i.e. tell the router to always give a particular device a particular IP

LiamMc03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kneller Hall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you set up a BQM (Broadband Quality Meter)?

Thanks

Saturday: It could be the issue as I rebooted the router quite a few times in the first 2 days after the fibre connection became active, a little silly on my part during the training period. Things seem to have settled down today, since the 4 devices accessing the router were all off overnight.

The WAN connection seems to be resetting quite often though and is now only:-

Vista with Black Hub-fibre_slower.jpg

Down from 27Mbs yesterday.

It just seems weird that this win7 laptop was giving download speeds in speedtest that I'd expect regarding my router sync speed, whilst at the same time the vista machine was crawling. And the 2 Android devices initially were giving the speeds I'd expect, then falling off to a fraction of that speed whilst nothing had changed. Changing the speedtest server on the Android devices would then bring that speed back up, until you repeated the test. All very weird.

Liam: I'll give it a whirl this weekend if that instability returns.

As I said, things appear more stable today, so I'll give it a few days to settle until I start stressing again!

EDIT: WAN just reset upping the download connection speed to 25000kbs since I wrote this post. Is it normal for the WAN to be changing the connection speeds several times a day?
      Last edited by Jaheira; 21-03-14 at 03:43 AM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I don't know the specific details of BTO's DLM software in respect of training lines, but I do know that you should not reboot the SR102 too often as this will mess up your connection speeds.

Could you post the results you get from the BTW checker please?

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Use your address as the Sky phone number will not work.

The results shold hopefully give us all a better idea of what your line should be able to handle and provide guidance on where to go from there.

None of this rules out a potential line fault either. With this in mind I would also suggest that you give Sky a friendly call and get someone to perform a line test. Hopefully this will identify one if there is one present. It does work.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Here's the BTW checker result:-

Vista with Black Hub-bt.jpg
      And here are my current line stats (the power went off yesterday afternoon for a few seconds causing the router to reboot.......just my damn luck!)

Vista with Black Hub-latest.jpg

Should my Traffic Type be PTM and Network Type be MER? As I said, I'm physically about 1km from the cabinet, and Sky's speed estimate was about 27Mbs. I did reboot the router a few times the first 2 days it was up. And now a powercut thrown in for fun!
      Last edited by Jaheira; 22-03-14 at 05:09 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast